Gemporia Ethics: Gemfields, Afghanistan, Myanmar....

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

AndyW

Registered Shopper
Might be worth creating a separate thread on this. Might be troublesome because ethics are often personal and we might have to use the word "allegedly" a lot.

Afghanistan - an article posted on the BBC site two hours ago, about a lady whose divorce was overturned on appeal by her "husband" because it wasn't Islamic enough, made my blood boil:

Screenshot_2024-09-29-04-31-45-530.jpeg

Gemfields Some shocking links and information is hidden away in this thread, here: https://shoppingtelly.com/threads/lyndsay.66359/page-7

Visage - what do we know about the production of items in China?

Kimbie Candles What about this? https://happypiranha.com/pages/why-...9FAIdQNE-0AxgJ_J_8zriSmrXX8woD5f0trclY561O17p

Destello cannot have been ethical and there has been discussion previously about Russian diamonds, Burmese rubies and Spinel.

Might be worth creating a separate thread on this. Might be troublesome because ethics are often personal and we might have to use the word "allegedly" a lot.

Afghanistan - an article posted on the BBC site two hours ago, about a lady whose divorce was overturned on appeal by her "husband" because it wasn't Islamic enough, made my blood boil:

View attachment 29886

Gemfields Some shocking links and information is hidden away in this thread, here: https://shoppingtelly.com/threads/lyndsay.66359/page-7

Visage - what do we know about the production of items in China?

Kimbie Candles What about this? https://happypiranha.com/pages/why-...9FAIdQNE-0AxgJ_J_8zriSmrXX8woD5f0trclY561O17p

Destello cannot have been ethical and there has been discussion previously about Russian diamonds, Burmese rubies and Spinel.
That afghan thing. Ooooo, yours is not the only blood that boils. Complete random. If women aren't as intelligent as men according to them, do you think they'd would completely ignore the US if the next US 'boss' was a woman? Politics, I know, but you know what I mean.

I would imagine that 'most' items produced in China are very basic in their ingredients, all cheap and so mass produced no one really notices how basic they are. Probably 10p to make an item sold for £40.

That candle article. VERY interesting read. I took liberties and shared it to my FB page.

And I missed one. Gemfields. Seeing your repost of that page. A re-eye-opener. So much goes into the brain that sometimes it's not 'forgotten', but 'sidelined', so when you get a prompt like that, it helps.

So, it seems, maybe not back in the day, but after 20 years the company has lost some of it's important ethics, or sidelined them for profit.

Gemporia have always been contradictory in their 'ethical sourcing' claims.

They claim to only source Diamonds that are part of the Kimberly process, and they claimed to ethically source other stones too - but they've always bought from Gemfields as far as I'm aware.

Anyone that deals with Gemfields cannot claim to be ethical in my opinion. The stories that Yianni posts about the company and their barbaric ways is really eye opening.

As for China. Sadly, as a whole country, we rely far too heavily on China. Gone are the days when we had factories and manufactured ourselves. We've turned into a nation of shopkeepers selling stuff from China. Our steel is imported from China, those paint trays we buy from B&Q are made in China, that Black & Decker lawnmower has been made in China. That toaster you bought from Amazon is made in China.

As a nation, we buy so much stuff from China - and its worrying. Particularly with the political unrest between the British government and China. If the Chinese wanted to throw their toys out of the pram and stop supplying the UK, we'd be doomed because of our over-reliance on Chinese imports.

As for China. Sadly, as a whole country, we rely far too heavily on China. Gone are the days when we had factories and manufactured ourselves. We've turned into a nation of shopkeepers selling stuff from China. Our steel is imported from China, those paint trays we buy from B&Q are made in China, that Black & Decker lawnmower has been made in China. That toaster you bought from Amazon is made in China.
Did somebody say 'aside'? Yup. Me, with a double. It is related though :p I'm sure I've said this somewhere here (this is part the first), Tesco chicken sandwiches. They profess fresh daily, yet the chicken comes from Thailand. Not China, I know, but talking of relying on others for 'our' produce. Not sure if the chicken still does, coz now it says 'EU and non EU' on the labels. Good get out....

And part the second. Most people did, but I had one of my birthdays during the pandemic: which, by whatever means, originated in China. I bought myself a tumbler which calls itself a wine tumbler, which has on it Quarantine Birthday 2021. Guess where it was made? China. All the lurgy tests and masks etc, that I had dealings with, were made in China.

Yet the chicken comes from Thailand.

The poor things must be knackered by the time they've flown over here.

You'd have thought word would have got out by now not to bother coming over here.

"Oi lads, don't bother flying thousands of miles to the UK - you'll only end up in a sandwich when you get over there. Ibiza sounds fun though!"

They should create a website for chickens similar to Trip Advisor. Maybe call it Chick Advisor.

"Went to the UK with my friends. It rained constantly and three of my mates were caught by Tesco and ended up in sandwiches. Do not recommend. 1/10.

Last edited:
That candle article. VERY interesting read. I took liberties and shared it to my FB page.
I didn't expect to find something like that necessarily but I was curious. I've always been sceptical about how how ethical soy is, whether that's converting it to inflammables or the effects of and claims about the bean by the Green/Vegan lobby.

Last edited:
As a nation, we buy so much stuff from China - and its worrying. Particularly with the political unrest between the British government and China. If the Chinese wanted to throw their toys out of the pram and stop supplying the UK, we'd be doomed because of our over-reliance on Chinese imports.
I agree. I wasn't China-bashing as such. Trade is trade. I should have been more specific on the link to Visage. It's the animal testing issue - and I'm pretty sure there are plenty of alternatives out there.

I did miss a trick, though. It's quite obvious that that creature from the Taliban in the BBC photo had been given a free style consultation by Destello.

I agree. I wasn't China-bashing as such. Trade is trade. I should have been more specific on the link to Visage. It's the animal testing issue - and I'm pretty sure there are plenty of alternatives out there.

I did miss a trick, though. It's quite obvious that that creature from the Taliban in the BBC photo had been given a free style consultation by Destello.

She does seem to give politicians answers when asked about the animal testing issue. I believe she's said in the past that her make-up is 'cruelty free' - yet the packaging it's in lacks any of the recognised symbols that indicates as such.

Based on Gemporia's recent form for being uneconomical with the truth, I'm not sure I'm convinced it's cruelty free.

Firstly, wow - £249!!!
Second, I cannot find much, if anything, comparable. Sounds good? Maybe, except that there is a 2016 paper online about harvestng this in the South China Sea and it makes shocking reading.
Screenshot_20241007_144102_Chrome.jpg

It's staggering they they have the audacity to charge that price for SHELL. It's bonkers!

I genuinely wouldn't even pay £24.99 for it.
I wonder who is buying these things. It honestly intrigues me. It seems that regardless of how absurd or even insulting thing Gemporia tries to sell, it always finds someone to buy it

Latest posts

Back