Freebies?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

tourmaline

Registered Shopper
Do you reckon the presenters get a lot of freebies from the guests and that's why they are always saying "I've got that/I use this product"?

Do you reckon the presenters get a lot of freebies from the guests and that's why they are always saying "I've got that/I use this product"?

I would guess they do get freebies, as the guests would want them to mention that they've used it. It's probably part of the hard sell as well though. If we hear the presenters say that they use it, we're supposed to think with all the choice they have then it must be good.

I remember a few years ago Joan Rivers said that the models for her shows got to choose a piece as a gift, but that was from her not QVC. Presenters have also talked about their staff discounts, but I would assume that they get freebies as well. Some blatantly beg for them on air!

I was curious, when John Barrowman was on he said of the TSV - "I have this". Did they send him one to try out ahead of his appearance? He said he had 2 pink and 2 taupe/cream. As it was a TSV it was a new item. How did he get 4? Maybe I misinterpreted, but he seemed to be describing that set not NN in general

Last edited:
I remember a few years ago Joan Rivers said that the models for her shows got to choose a piece as a gift, but that was from her not QVC. Presenters have also talked about their staff discounts, but I would assume that they get freebies as well. Some blatantly beg for them on air!

I was curious, when John Barrowman was on he said of the TSV - "I have this". Did they send him one to try out ahead of his appearance? He said he had 2 pink and 2 taupe/cream. As it was a TSV it was a new item. How did he get 4? Maybe I misinterpreted, but he seemed to be describing that set not NN in general

He was in the States for 9 weeks filming so perhaps he got them from QVC US.

When I worked at M&S as a student 25 years ago I was given skincare items to take home and try. It's easier to answer customer's queries if you've staff who've used them, and yes it does lead to additional sales. I'm sure this happens in many retail situations, it doesn't seem sinister to me.

Jude xx

I know from when they have done craft TSV's that the presenters who are covering the shows have been given a sample to take home and try. So I would assume that they do get lots of freebies from other products, as well.

:sad:I must be in the wrong job then, I don't get any free false teeth or fillings:mysmilie_483:

When I was teaching all I got to take home was hours of marking every night!

My last employer made Scrooge look generous and would squeak when he walked, if you get my meaning. Anything I got to take home at night had to be smuggled out at the bottom of the briefcase, under the sandwich box!

[OT but humorous story - his "posh" coffee used to be kept under lock and key for his use only. Little did he know that we used to swap it for our bog standard decaf. He also tried to make us use tea bags twice to extend their life! And hiding the milk, so it didn't get used too quickly. We often found bottles of "yoghurt" stuffed in unlikely places. Happy memories eh?]

My last employer made Scrooge look generous and would squeak when he walked, if you get my meaning. Anything I got to take home at night had to be smuggled out at the bottom of the briefcase, under the sandwich box!

[OT but humorous story - his "posh" coffee used to be kept under lock and key for his use only. Little did he know that we used to swap it for our bog standard decaf. He also tried to make us use tea bags twice to extend their life! And hiding the milk, so it didn't get used too quickly. We often found bottles of "yoghurt" stuffed in unlikely places. Happy memories eh?]

I once had a boss who was so mean that once we had to go on the bus to a meeting (I was 27 at that time) and he tried to pay half fare for me! I know I have always looked younger than I am, but that was taking the biscuit!:giggle:

Latest posts

Back