Foxy's fan club

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Deasmum

Registered Shopper
Of all the strange things! According to Emily from Gem Collector someone started on Facebook a Gem Collector's Foxy's fan club. Why, oh why?

Of all the strange things! According to Emily from Gem Collector someone started on Facebook a Gem Collector's Foxy's fan club. Why, oh why?

There are some odd people on Facebook. I don't know if it still exists, but there was a Facebook group dedicated to the female Gemporia presenters.

Most of the posts were fine - but the odd one or two were a bit weird, almost bordering stalkerish.

There are some odd people on Facebook. I don't know if it still exists, but there was a Facebook group dedicated to the female Gemporia presenters.

Most of the posts were fine - but the odd one or two were a bit weird, almost bordering stalkerish.
I remember seeing that. But not joining it. And don't talk stalker to me :p See, if you so desire, my post in the 'nosy neighbours' thread in the off topic: if not, no worries. :p

It wouldn't surprise me if it was Emily herself - and no, I'm not joking. She does strike me as being over-confident enough to do such a thing.
I agree. I do wish someone would tell her to tone down the giggling, it's wearing (and nothing funny's been said, either). I think she's got worse since Alex left.

I agree. I do wish someone would tell her to tone down the giggling, it's wearing (and nothing funny's been said, either). I think she's got worse since Alex left.

I do think that in her own head, she thinks she's become the 'face' of Gem Collector.

The difference is, Alex could be annoying at times, but he literally developed the channel into what it was almost single-handedly. He was Gem Collector.

I think Emily tries to replicate Alex's charm and "cheeky-chappy, I can get on with anyone" persona and wants to be seen as everyone's 'friend' on the channel.

Alex was very likeable - even if you disliked some of his 'annoyances'. Alex was also very 'real' - what you see is what you get with Alex. He's exactly the same in real life. Emily does come across as though she's not being her true self and 'tries too hard' for the camera. As much as I want to try to like her, I just find her to be too erratic, too loud, and too giggly and things that aren't even funny. The laugh is so forced and unnatural.

At least Alex could snap out of his 'funny man' mode to bring us a serious presentation or share some knowledge (and Alex was genuinely knowledgeable).

Emily cannot do that because she simply doesn't have the knowledge.

Gem Collector was born when Alex took over as presenter - and it also died when Alex left. Gem Collector is awful now. It's just became another typical selly-telly channel - whereas it used to be significantly different and had a bit of a 'small community' feel - with regular buyers that were all very knowledgeable. No hard sell was required.

I do think that in her own head, she thinks she's become the 'face' of Gem Collector.

The difference is, Alex could be annoying at times, but he literally developed the channel into what it was almost single-handedly. He was Gem Collector.

I think Emily tries to replicate Alex's charm and "cheeky-chappy, I can get on with anyone" persona and wants to be seen as everyone's 'friend' on the channel.

Alex was very likeable - even if you disliked some of his 'annoyances'. Alex was also very 'real' - what you see is what you get with Alex. He's exactly the same in real life. Emily does come across as though she's not being her true self and 'tries too hard' for the camera. As much as I want to try to like her, I just find her to be too erratic, too loud, and too giggly and things that aren't even funny. The laugh is so forced and unnatural.

At least Alex could snap out of his 'funny man' mode to bring us a serious presentation or share some knowledge (and Alex was genuinely knowledgeable).

Emily cannot do that because she simply doesn't have the knowledge.

Gem Collector was born when Alex took over as presenter - and it also died when Alex left. Gem Collector is awful now. It's just became another typical selly-telly channel - whereas it used to be significantly different and had a bit of a 'small community' feel - with regular buyers that were all very knowledgeable. No hard sell was required.
Can't watch Emily for longer than a couple of minutes, she's SO irritating, full of herself and smug. I'm staggered at the prices, too - and I'm curious as to how they sell most of it at the prices they're charging. I've also noticed that some of the 'old faithful' names that used to be cropping up all the time don't seem to be coming through. Admittedly I don't watch it for long, but I'd bet that they've lost a lot of the 'old' viewers.

Can't watch Emily for longer than a couple of minutes, she's SO irritating, full of herself and smug. I'm staggered at the prices, too - and I'm curious as to how they sell most of it at the prices they're charging. I've also noticed that some of the 'old faithful' names that used to be cropping up all the time don't seem to be coming through. Admittedly I don't watch it for long, but I'd bet that they've lost a lot of the 'old' viewers.

I used to watch daily - but I tend to have a glance in at the start of each hour to see if there's anything new or worthwhile, and then vanish again.

As you say, Emily is unwatchable for more than a couple of minutes, and as much as I like Jim, he doesn't suit Gem Collector.

I think Gem Collector will have lost its old 'core' viewers for five key reasons:

1. The prices are beyond expensive.
2. Most of the stones are poor quality (windowed, fish-eyed, badly cut, heavily included and/or wishy-washy in 'colour') - as well as being heavily treated. Why the hell would collectors want or pay for irradiated Smokey Quartz or heated Rose Quartz when both are available from most retailers, in untreated form, cheaply.
3. They can no longer be trusted to get basic information correct - such as gemstone names and treatments.
4. Patronising and insulting sales pitches - insulting viewers' intelligence by referring to bog standard stones as 'rare' or claiming that viewers are getting a bargain because their absurd starting price of £1200 for an irradiated Swiss Blue Topaz stone has been dropped to a still overpriced £50 'auction price'.
5. There's no longer a 'personal' feel to the channel. Alex has gone - and now viewers are spoken to as general viewers in a manner similar to Gems TV and other selly-telly channels. Alex used to talk to people on a 'personal' level as well as addressing people in general as viewers.

Personally, in my opinion, I feel that if Gem Collector is to survive, it needs to seriously address its pricing structure, quality of gemstones, and equally as importantly, replace Jim and Emily with calmer, less hard-sell, knowledgeable presenters. Nick and Millie Griffiths would be PERFECT in style for Gem Collector. Keep the screaming hard sellers with ludicrous claims for Gems TV, where that behaviour seems to be the norm.

It's always a breath of fresh air to see Nick filling in. He was covering yesterday - and he's just SO calm, knowledgeable without a single ounce of BS or dodgy sales spiel.

And what the hell is 'Pink Passion Quartz'?

When it comes to renamed stones, this one really takes the Mick - particularly when its not even pink. The one I've just seen has a, primarily, sandy-orangish body colour with a whiteish band and a pink/red band.

I'm guessing its a multi-coloured Aventurine? If so, why not just call it what it is.............

Latest posts

Back