Fed up

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Brissles

Registered Shopper
Why are we constantly being bombarded with American fashion TAT ? yes I know its an American company, but having seen the US website, we arent exactly shoving UK designers down their throats.

Whether its George Simonton and his "milky" fabric, or Renee with the same material under the title "slinky jersey", and the awful Leonard - they churn out the same old style tops, the disgusting below the knee trousers (gouchos ??), and dresses of the style that usually end up on the floor in TK Maxx !!!!!

The fabric makes you hot and sweaty, and unless you are built like a beanpole OR Sharon, it clings to every lump and bump.

SO, why oh why do the buyers think they can foist this unending carp onto us. Have they no style ? This is just "stuff" that will end up in clearance, or in the charity shop bag after one wearing.

totally agree, I know that the dreaded high street is something that QVC recommend that we shun in order to save ourselves from the 5 quid a pop cappachino and extortinate travel and parking costs (how unlike their p and p chages!!!); it seems to me that their buyers also give the high street the cold shoulder as they do not have a clue about what is "on trend". It would appear that they never pick up a magazine or do a quick on line search and see what else is out there. But hey, the polyester tat sells so why should they ?

Because it sells for them. Now if people stopped buying then they would have to do a rethink big time.

QVC and fashion just do not go together in the same sentence for a start.

I remember some years back buying a leather coat which I still have and is great. But you never seen TSVs like that any more. That and a suede jacket are the only fashion I ever bought from QVC.

The only reason I think QVC continue to sell this tat, bristles, is because it sells. I'm totally with you in all you say, wouldn't be seen dead in this c**p, however, when you watch these programmes they seem to have limited stock and even sell-outs on some items. When they get a 'caller' coming through they can wax lyrical about how mant items they have and how they are admired!!!! I wish with all my heart people wouldn't buy this stuff and QVC may try some decent designers but there seems to be a huge market for this tat....amazing, I know.

but are they really "sell outs" - do most of them end up back returned to end up in last clicks or a QVC outlet store??? I'm certainly always amazed how much kim and co are in the clearance sections on the website:giggle:

I think its really sad they're always trying to flog us american stuff.Most of autumn fashion day was american brands apart from LG,from what I saw.

I truly don't know why,the buyers can't think Boden,Next,Joe Browns,Toast,White stuff etc..........I don't honestly believe that the fashion buying team are wearing kim and co,renee and storybooks knits,themselves..............

Elasticated, stretchy, cropped leg/sleeve, baggy clothes will fit over Hilda in Sc-unthorpe's hips and QVC will have fewer returns. What I don't understand is why Hilda in S****horpe is willing to pay £40 for a top and how the high street fashion revolution of the past 15 years has completely passed her by.

Saucer of milk for me please.

Last edited:
totally agree, I know that the dreaded high street is something that QVC recommend that we shun in order to save ourselves from the 5 quid a pop cappachino and extortinate travel and parking costs (how unlike their p and p chages!!!); it seems to me that their buyers also give the high street the cold shoulder as they do not have a clue about what is "on trend". It would appear that they never pick up a magazine or do a quick on line search and see what else is out there. But hey, the polyester tat sells so why should they ?

How they can tell us we save money by shopping for clothes with QVC is beyond me. With a P&P charge per item and they tell you which clothes go with which so obviously expect you to buy more than one item at a time, you could run up a good £20 P&P charge for 3 or 4 items. :frown:

When I switched on the other day, this hideous coat was being shown:

Can't get link to work, item no 146420

Expensive and shockingly vile. :giggle:

Last edited:
Why are we constantly being bombarded with American fashion TAT ? yes I know its an American company, but having seen the US website, we arent exactly shoving UK designers down their throats.

Whether its George Simonton and his "milky" fabric, or Renee with the same material under the title "slinky jersey", and the awful Leonard - they churn out the same old style tops, the disgusting below the knee trousers (gouchos ??), and dresses of the style that usually end up on the floor in TK Maxx !!!!!

The fabric makes you hot and sweaty, and unless you are built like a beanpole OR Sharon, it clings to every lump and bump.

SO, why oh why do the buyers think they can foist this unending carp onto us. Have they no style ? This is just "stuff" that will end up in clearance, or in the charity shop bag after one wearing.

Ha ha ha, so true!! but you left out Kim Mendelson, Lori Greiner, and about a 100 other folk, how many different names can you give to 97 % polyester with a touch of elastene?

I'll get the ball rolling with a new one.

SILKANIQUE.:grin:

I agree. I would love to buy fashion off the TV as I can't get out very much on my own but I refuse to buy the polyester sh*t that QVC are flogging as "on trend". There are other fabrics out there y'know!!

I do love SOME Quacker (*hangs head in shame*) but apart from that all the other ranges seem to be made out of the kind of fabric that is so uncomfortable if you are over a size 8 and some ranges are downright frumpy looking.

"stretchyclingyslinky-ester" or "showsyerlumpsoff-ester" or "ireallyneedtogetoevans/orlotsofothershopsthesedays-ester"
I have been size 10 -size 22 (a larger girl mostly)
and there are now loads of shops that sell chubby chicks fashion! so many more than years ago when every time i went out i always saw another bun-lover wearing my clothes!!
it's really quite sad that they are telling the larger among us to stay in and wear this over priced hideous cr*p and Julia as a larger lady at times (yeah i know she's ever so skinny now and a larger person isn't a size 16 "half the female population is a size 16...blah..blah" she WAS bigger than she is now) should be showing us how to look better not all the same

If you check out stores in America, (dept stores), their fashion is very similar to the rubbish they have on QVC. They're very behind with clothes, they don't have the European influence.

But who is buying this stuff? If it's mainly housebound people, don't most people have a computer nowadays? Why don't they check out online stores, there's loads of choice now and it's a lot cheaper than their rubbish!

If you check out stores in America, (dept stores), their fashion is very similar to the rubbish they have on QVC. They're very behind with clothes, they don't have the European influence.

I totally agree with you lilylurknomore. Anyone holidaying in America (apart from New York and LA) will notice that the the States are soooooooooooo far behind the UK and the rest of Europe with their fashions.

Some of America looks like it is just coming out of the 70's.

They definitely need to get a grip and follow the fashion scene more closely.

tiana b is horrid and soo short and at £60 plus p&p a real p..i...s...s...take!:headbang:

completely agree with everything that's been said about QVC 'fashion' but have to disagree about clothes in the US.

I used to live in Mexico and did a lot of clothes shopping in El Paso, Texas. It's a hicksville border town and not renowned for it's shopping or fashion in any sense of the word - BUT there were plenty of decent shops in the malls there. Gap and Old Navy was very popular, but there were also plenty of others along the lines of UK high street shops like New Look, Dotty P's, Next etc and MUCH cheaper too!

There were shops selling polyester tat, and 'leisure wear' which was hideous, (along the lines of Carole Hochman but much worse) for those who wanted it, but there was lots of choice for those who didn't. Most of my American friends are pretty casual in their dress sense but they wouldn't be seen dead in most of the stuff sold on QVC either in the US or here!

Best thing I thought about shopping in the States (apart from the prices!) were the sizes which come up very big. At the time I was a size 10/12 in the UK but was fitting in 4s or 6s with even the occasional size 2 in the States. Have still got some of the clothes as a relic of my slimmer days!!

I'm sorry if this offends anyone but all of the clothes on QVC are absolutely hideous and soo unfashionable. I wouldn't even wear those clothes if they were given to me for free, let alone spend my money on them! I can't even sit through a whole hour of these fashion shows. Everytime I see them I turn over in about 2 minutes.

I'm sorry if this offends anyone but all of the clothes on QVC are absolutely hideous and soo unfashionable. I wouldn't even wear those clothes if they were given to me for free, let alone spend my money on them! I can't even sit through a whole hour of these fashion shows. Everytime I see them I turn over in about 2 minutes.

Whilst I agree there are a lot of awful items, there are some gems and you just have to grin and bear the awful to get to see them. Obvious no go hours are the quackers but some of attitudes, nina leonard, t.b and simonton are worth making pots of tea to make your time more bearable.:clock::coffee::bandit::nod:

I bought a Tiana B dress the other week, and it's really quite nice. It's not trendy, you'd never see it in Grazia, but it's pretty and comfy. Believe me, I am still in shock!

Otherwise, I think QVC fashion is bogging, old-fashioned and sometimes just weird (Artscapes and Quacker spring to mind). I have two small children so I can't go shopping very often. QVC could be a god-send for women like me who want decent clothes, but instead they're seem to be targetting the 'grey pound'. I have to assume that they've done their research and have concluded that that's their biggest market so the rest of us can just eff off to Next online for our clothes.

I actually started watching QVC when my kids were born and it passed the many hours I spent on my own (and then became an expensive habit,ever since!!) I would imagine that a lot of their viewers are mums in this situation....................although I think my MIL and grandmother are probably their target market - neither of them would ever consider buying from a shopping channel - they're just from a generation where shopping like this (particularly via the internet or qcut) is alien to them.Of course there are people of this generation who can and do shop like this - but I can't help but feel lots of viewers are younger than they think..................

I think the above is right. The grey pound is their target market in general. How many phone in voices actually sound UNDER 50, or 40 for that matter ?

HOWEVER, what these "stylists" and buyers have failed to grasp, is, their target market were once the teenagers of the 60's ! and the last thing that that generation wants is to look like their mothers did when they were post menapausal !!!! only back then - yeah, 40 odd years ago, it was called CRIMPILENE ! and now we have been lumbered with bl....dy polyester in the guise of 'milky' and 'fluid jersey' !!!

I am 62 with no longer a figure to die for, but who onced danced around her handbag with the best of them, - as probably most of the qvc female audience did, and who still have an eye for fashion, and who love Monsoon, and Per Una et al. Not all of us reach a certain age, and overnight become Mumsy - SO WHY OH WHY cant the 'children' who are posing as buyers at QVC act grown up for once and give us the fashion we want.

Whilst I agree there are a lot of awful items, there are some gems and you just have to grin and bear the awful to get to see them. Obvious no go hours are the quackers but some of attitudes, nina leonard, t.b and simonton are worth making pots of tea to make your time more bearable.:clock::coffee::bandit::nod:

I have to agree with you, Loveinamist. Have never bought any of these brands from the presentations, but have picked up a couple in the outlet shops. They've been very nicely made, particularly the "Attitudes" stuff which is very flattering on, (and I am whet Lenny would call a "fuller figured lady"), drapes beautifully, and does not crease.

Latest posts

Back