Feather Bed or Memory Foam

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I have the NN down topped feather bed, couldn't sleep without it, but I put the sheet directly on the topper so every morning give it all a good ~puffing up~, it's like the princess and the pea stepping up to it at night :giggle: wonderful...bought my son the polar memory foam when it was a tsv a while back, he loves it! :smirk:

Maybe it comes down to how warm you like the bed, I sleep with the window open all year round, do use NN flannel sheets in winter, but can't stand getting hot, my son can take it as warm as it gets, so the memory foam suits him!

daydreamer

I'm pleased I read this. We are considering a memory foam after so many of our friends have raved about them but never thought about them being warm. It's hard enough to stay cool at night here so I guess it wouldn't be for us........

We've had both too. Had a down topped featherbed, it was wonderful but being a superking it was too heavy to fluff every day and it def. needs doing every day. Switched to memory foam and it is great, no fluffing or turning needed. I put a mattress protector that has some filling on top and find it's not hot, I think as someone else has said if you put cotton on it you don't notice it. Some folks didn't like the smell, but it went away after a day or two. The only warning I would give is that some MF toppers, especially from a certain auction site, are not the right density and they are merely foam. Memory foam should be dense and take a few seconds to spring back. Our first mf topper had this problem, as i bought it on the site hoping for a cheaper one than in the shops. I've also heard that 2" is right for most people, 3" for heavier people, but too much foam can be bad for your back as well. Was interested in the polar foam from QVC, hoping for coolness in the summer, but that didn't seem to get good reviews. Godd luck!

I sleepon both lol I'm greedy ... I have memory foam and then put the feather bead over the top... I did get the feather bed at a bargain price from Ideal World :)

We have a tempur memory foam mattress and its fabulous..very expensive but worth every penny. I am the queen of hot flushes ATM and I don't find the mattress any problem at all. It has the added bonus (look away now if TMI lol) that it isn't absorbent so stays fresher in the face of my ummm nightly glows (ladies never perspire, not even ladies with hot flushes) and the towelling cover doesn't get soggy like my old cotton mattress protector did. Its dealt completely with my longstanding back and neck problem and DH's dicky shoulder

IMO you cannot beat a feather-bed topper with down on top (paws at topper a la Suzy Whatsit). Have a memory foam topper, but found it a little hard, so have it beneath the feather-bed. Topped off with Egyptian white percale linen from John Lewis and lovely down pillows. Makes me :sleepy: thinking about it

We have a tempur memory foam mattress and its fabulous..very expensive but worth every penny. I am the queen of hot flushes ATM and I don't find the mattress any problem at all. It has the added bonus (look away now if TMI lol) that it isn't absorbent so stays fresher in the face of my ummm nightly glows (ladies never perspire, not even ladies with hot flushes) and the towelling cover doesn't get soggy like my old cotton mattress protector did. Its dealt completely with my longstanding back and neck problem and DH's dicky shoulder

I'm being pulled in both directions now!

Feather bed, I have a disc problem in my back and since buying one of these I have slept like a baby (wake up every 2 hours and needed a feed and a nappy change) no,sorry. The feather bed has given me a new lease of life.

The feathers don't stay in place and poke through the cover and it gets so heave after few months.

So true! I'm sure on the demos they said this didn't happen which why we bought one. It was like having needles stuck in you all over the place, it went in the dogs bed eventually!!!:giggle:

I too have both. Have used the feather bed with the down on top for ages and loved it. Then when I bought a new bed at xmas I bought a memory foam one - it was like sleeping on a board so after a couple of weeks but the featherbed back on top - now its heaven.

I bought the true sleeper topper when it was a TSV a few yeas ago i did not find it that hot, I now have a memeory foam mattress, I too am not keen on the pillows.

got to admit the pillow took some getting used to but when you wake every morning and can turn your head without pain (neck prob since a teenager) I found it worth getting used to

Sleep on memory foam and wouldn't be without it now, it's solved my back ache and I don't find it too hot. I have persevered and do use a memory foam pillow for my neck now, but it did take quite a bit of getting used to, I hated it at first. Now I wake up without back ache and thanks to the pillow without neck ache.
I've never used a feather bed because I just couldn't justify the number of birds that must need to be killed for it, can't be bothered with the faff of plumping it every day and, considering the amount we sweat at night, can't help feeling it must be rather unhygienic.

Memory foam mattress and pillow here too tho I haven't used a feather bed. My kids love lying on the foam when I'm airing the bed, so much for airing it!

Do you remember the legendary memory foam thread from a few years ago- brilliant.

I find memory foam very difficult to sleep on (mattress and pillows). I gave it a month, but was not for me.

Went back to the feathers and not had a problem.

I have had both and Memory Foam is the tops, no fussing and having to fluff the topper up, no feathers getting you when you least expect it and no going flat because Hubby happens to be an ex Rugby player!. LOL.
Memory Foam is wonderful, it's there sorting itself out in the morning when you get out of bed and at night it's just heaven.

:flower:

Latest posts

Back