Eve Lom, worth the money?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I find mineral oil much less reactive than many plant oils and extracts. For most people, it is a very benign product. As for sitting on the surface of the skin - that's exactly what you want a cleanser to do! - you don't want it taking dirt and make-up down into the deeper layers - you want it to emulsify the surface muck and grime so it can be easily removed.

I tried the Eve Lom cleanser, which has a real cult following, but couldn't get on with it - probably the worst reaction my skin has ever had to a product - very red with terrible boil-like spots. It's got a greasy pomade-like texture, with a very medicinal smell. I can't tolerate those sort of ingredients, unfortunately, even though many people swear by them. Personally, I would not recommend it for anyone with an oily or sensitive skin.

Are you sensitive to eucalypytus oil? That is one of the worst culprits for sensitivity. DH is sensitive to menthol so uses a lot of my stuff - most male stuff has menthol or eucalyptus oil in it for the manly "invigorating" effect. That effect is just the skin telling you it doesn't like it!! I have the worst reactions to lavendar oil and camphor.

This is why I really don't get the rabid reactions to using one of the least reactive skin products on the planet (yes, you L'Occitane Lover! - I AM aware that it isn't absorbed, but you won't get a better product for holding moisture in the skin either. If you actually want to LEARN something instead of talking to me like a child, read the extract below).

Mineral oil. Clear, odorless oil derived from petroleum that is widely used in cosmetics because it rarely causes allergic reactions and it cannot become a solid and clog pores. Despite mineral oil’s association with petroleum and the hype that it is bad for skin, keep in mind that petroleum is a natural ingredient derived from the earth and that once it becomes mineral oil USP (cosmetics- and pharmaceutical-grade mineral oil), it has no resemblance to the original petroleum. Cosmetics-grade mineral oil and petrolatum are considered the safest, most nonirritating moisturizing ingredients ever found (Sources: Cosmetics & Toiletries, January 2001, page 79; and Cosmetic Dermatology, September 2000, pages 44–46). Yes, they can keep air off the skin to some extent, but that’s what a good antioxidant is supposed to do; they don’t suffocate skin! Moreover, mineral oil and petrolatum are known to be efficacious in wound healing, and are also among the most effective moisturizing ingredients available (Source: Cosmetics & Toiletries, February 1998, pages 33–40).

Vaseline was actually discovered when the oil-riggers wounds healed better after coming into contact with the white ointment produced on the pipes when drilling. So it doesn't exactly do nothing either. It was also rec'd to me by a maxillo-facial surgeon to avoid scars and promote better healing after I'd had facial injuries. I have minimal scarring (only visible under magnification) and have Vaseline to thank for it. So much for it not doing anything!

Elise, you may find the following interesting: eucalyptus extract. Extract that may have antibacterial, antifungal, and antiviral properties on the skin (Source: Skin Pharmacology and Applied Skin Physiology, January–February 2000, pages 60–64). It also may be a skin irritant, particularly on abraded skin (Sources: Clinical Experimental Dermatology, March 1995, pages 143–145; and www.alternativedr.com/conditions/ConsHerbs/Eucalyptusch.html).

whats nice about the eve lom cleanser is that you can sit and massage away the dirt and impurities thats why i loved a clarins cleanser(normal skin) that also allows you to do that.
i find it quite relaxing when i have the time.dont know what gives the clarins cleanser the slip though...
lets face it mineral oil is cheap and to pay £50 for a cleanser loaded with it welll i think thats a lot of hype.

I used Vaseline in combination with Calamine Lotion on a really bad blister from sunburn, I have no scar. I had fallen asleep outside at school on Founder's Day, watching the old boys cricket match, well it was a bit boring!!!!

I find mineral oil much less reactive than many plant oils and extracts. For most people, it is a very benign product. As for sitting on the surface of the skin - that's exactly what you want a cleanser to do! - you don't want it taking dirt and make-up down into the deeper layers - you want it to emulsify the surface muck and grime so it can be easily removed.

I tried the Eve Lom cleanser, which has a real cult following, but couldn't get on with it - probably the worst reaction my skin has ever had to a product - very red with terrible boil-like spots. It's got a greasy pomade-like texture, with a very medicinal smell. I can't tolerate those sort of ingredients, unfortunately, even though many people swear by them. Personally, I would not recommend it for anyone with an oily or sensitive skin.

yes you do want it to sit on your skin but the effects are left on your skin and if you are paying for a product you dont want it to include a rubbish pointless filler ingredient especially since it is more expensive than liz earle who uses much better ingredients. im not sure to be honest why everyone doesnt use liz earle (unless it doesnt suit you).

I've never tried Eve Lom so can't comment on its effectiveness as a cleanser but irrespective of how well it performs as a cleanser, I would be uncomfortable about putting that ingredient listing on my face!

One of the reasons I am so fond of the Liz Earle range is that I feel at ease using the products on every level & surely that is an important part of a 'favourite range', one has to feel happy about using it?

No matter how good something was, if I wasn't comfortable about using it, for whatever reason, I feel I would soon give up on it as a range anyway, so for me, it would be a pointless exercise to start! :)

I've never tried Eve Lom so can't comment on its effectiveness as a cleanser but irrespective of how well it performs as a cleanser, I would be uncomfortable about putting that ingredient listing on my face!

One of the reasons I am so fond of the Liz Earle range is that I feel at ease using the products on every level & surely that is an important part of a 'favourite range', one has to feel happy about using it?

No matter how good something was, if I wasn't comfortable about using it, for whatever reason, I feel I would soon give up on it as a range anyway, so for me, it would be a pointless exercise to start! :)

i agree and put much better than myself!

I don't understand why mineral oil is so loathed. It's one of the oldest, safest ingredients in skincare. Granted if your skin reacts to it, you're not going to be happy with it, but when my skin reacts to some natural ingredients, it ain't a pretty sight either! I have to go back to my good old Pond's Cold Cream and Nivea to comfort my skin and both have never failed to soothe. My mum and gran used these and both had amazing skin.

Oh, and my newly discoverd Rose Vaseline (which has both natural ingredients and mineral oil) is my new HG!

Not read much about this thread, although I love Eve Lom's cleanser and rescue mask (simply because they work for me) - but wanted to say a BIG hello to the lovely Alter Ego - who has been much missed. Don't stay away so long - your make up knowledge and skincare tips are fab.

Stay with us

:1::22::60:

yes you do want it to sit on your skin but the effects are left on your skin and if you are paying for a product you dont want it to include a rubbish pointless filler ingredient especially since it is more expensive than liz earle who uses much better ingredients. im not sure to be honest why everyone doesnt use liz earle (unless it doesnt suit you).

Indeed it doesn't suit everyone and is not quite as pure and wholesome as we are led to believe. Although perhaps I should say was to be fair. I am very happy with the Mir range and the brand ethos. Everything is detailed, both what is and isn't included as a suitable ingredient and why. Of course like everything else it won't suit everybody. (I hope that I never become over zealous in singing its praises though.) :64:

:2: went to Bluewater but spacenk had run out of the limited edition freebie Nude cleansing oil - it was all I really went for. Bit the bullet and purchased the full size - just hope it doesn't bring on a break out with continued use!

Should be fine Mau-Mum, cleansing with oil often seems to be the best way for lots of folk. :64:

Not read much about this thread, although I love Eve Lom's cleanser and rescue mask (simply because they work for me) - but wanted to say a BIG hello to the lovely Alter Ego - who has been much missed. Don't stay away so long - your make up knowledge and skincare tips are fab.

Stay with us

:1::22::60:

Thanks Jayne :)

I've been on a no-buy for a while so have been avoiding the internet! How are the BeautyBlenders going? Mine is still in fine form (amazingly, as it's probably the most used item in my bag - whatever foundation I use, it goes on with that and it's had a real workout lately as I'm trying to use as many of the 17 - ouch! - foundations I have, just to get rid of them!)

I've just sneaked a look at your site - it's changed since last I was there (assuming it hasn't changed that recently, that's how long I've been on a no-buy!) and I'm craving several of your items badly. I've got to last until June 29th and my credit card will be set free - look out then (though I did promise myself that I would never be in the position that I'm in now with overflowing drawers, cupboards and random boxes of stuff).

I'm so looking forward to that date so I can toss what I don't love, keep what I do and add to some old faves that actually need topping up now that I've managed to get through the enormous stashes I had. Still a firm fave is Smashbox's Apricot primer. Can you tell me if they've packaged this differently to the old dire glass jars that refused to pump? Do you think you'll have any of the travel tubes in stock then?

Thanks again and sorry to highjack the thread :)

The point you're not getting is that mineral oil is not a pointless filler ingredient.

In a cleanser it emulsifies dirt without the need for detergent - hence why it's quite good for sensitive or dry skins which get stripped easily, and also for oily skins, which can chuck out even more oil in response to a detergent rich formula.

In moisturising type products it acts as a barrier or seal to keep in water.

I expect that there are some people who have adverse reactions to mineral oil, just as there are some whose skin doesn't get on with certain plant extracts. But the idea that mineral oil is some kind of universal skin ravaging horror, or just there to bulk up the other ingredients, is nonsense.

Are you sensitive to eucalypytus oil? That is one of the worst culprits for sensitivity. DH is sensitive to menthol so uses a lot of my stuff - most male stuff has menthol or eucalyptus oil in it for the manly "invigorating" effect. That effect is just the skin telling you it doesn't like it!! I have the worst reactions to lavendar oil and camphor.

I'm not sure exactly which ingredient(s) is/are the culprit, but it's anything with that really medicinal smell. I have the same thing with Liz Earle cleanser, which I think has a beautiful texture plus I like the idea of the muslin (mildly exfoliating), but which also gives me terrible spots. I can't use the Elemis SOS cream either.

My favourite cleanser is the Chanel Cleansing Oil, which I'm pretty certain is mineral oil based, and my skin is fantastic the whole time I'm using it - no breakouts or redness at all.

the question was is eve lom woth the money...mmmm!!! if its petroleum based then i suppose i guess not as this is a cheap base but it does the job as you can massage away for an hour if the mood takes you something i love to do when i have the time..
liz earles cleanser has a more luxurious base but to get the slip ypu need to massage away you need to keep reapplying it as it kind of dries up.thats why i love the old fashioned clarins lovely smell,texture and boy can you massage it in without the need to keep topping it up.

There was a comparison in one of the weekend papers a couple of weeks ago, comparing LE and EL, the LE won.

the question was is eve lom woth the money...mmmm!!! if its petroleum based then i suppose i guess not as this is a cheap base but it does the job as you can massage away for an hour if the mood takes you something i love to do when i have the time..
liz earles cleanser has a more luxurious base but to get the slip ypu need to massage away you need to keep reapplying it as it kind of dries up.thats why i love the old fashioned clarins lovely smell,texture and boy can you massage it in without the need to keep topping it up.

That's the thing, one man's meat is another's poison. Is it worth it? Very much so to the fans who get real results using it, but then a lot of people get results with the knock-off Boots Time Delay version (me, me!). I'm currently lovng Clinique's Balm, but am now intrigued by this Clarins one. Which one is it so I can wander down to my local counter and beg a sample/go on eBay and buy one?

That's the thing, one man's meat is another's poison. Is it worth it? Very much so to the fans who get real results using it, but then a lot of people get results with the knock-off Boots Time Delay version (me, me!). I'm currently lovng Clinique's Balm, but am now intrigued by this Clarins one. Which one is it so I can wander down to my local counter and beg a sample/go on eBay and buy one?

This is the Clarins one AE, and it is lovely.
http://www.salonskincare.co.uk/product_info.php/products_id/5700

Latest posts

Back