Duvet set - teacher's gift????!!!!!!

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Teachers gifts? well i have heard it all really teachers must have changed since my day when teachers were cruel, sarcastic bullying and not afraid to be inflicting pain on small children with smacks and caining -could not wait to leave school the only gift i would have given one of the evil witches would have seen me sent to jail probably.

Perhaps the presenters could also suggest other people to buy for as if we dont already have enough with genuine friends and family -Maybe a presenters gift? i think i would buy kathy taylor the fudge kit then her mouth would be constantly full as it makes about 50000 kilos we would then have some respite from her stuttering cringing coughing useless uniformative presetational style

Teachers gifts? well i have heard it all really teachers must have changed since my day when teachers were cruel, sarcastic bullying and not afraid to be inflicting pain on small children with smacks and caining -could not wait to leave school the only gift i would have given one of the evil witches would have seen me sent to jail probably.

Perhaps the presenters could also suggest other people to buy for as if we dont already have enough with genuine friends and family -Maybe a presenters gift? i think i would buy kathy taylor the fudge kit then her mouth would be constantly full as it makes about 50000 kilos we would then have some respite from her stuttering cringing coughing useless uniformative presetational style

times have changed now the children are able to do all those things to the teachers, and then appeal if the school tries to exclude them for it.

My mum read this and laughed her socks off! Her school experiences were much the same and it still upsets her now to think of some of the treatment she received at school! Especially from the headmistress who hated "poor" children.

Having said that, there's nothing wrong with giving little gifts to teachers that you like but it's a shame QVC are spoiling that by suggesting it has to be something big and expensive. It's a shame that it's making teachers look bad as though they expect gifts, when they don't. (BTW, my brother is a teacher).

Has it crossed their tiny minds that the poor old teacher may not want yet another a flippin’ Nails Inc nail paint or L'Occitane shower crème? Or, heavens forbid they might not actually like the brands. :eek:

As mentioned above, surely the point of giving a pressie is that the pupil is showing their appreciation to a teacher that has gone above and beyond the call of duty? It would seem that these days’ parents are always in some kind of competition with each other and this is just another display of that.

That's so true. My favourite was one year the day after mother's day a few of the children turned up with a lovely bunch of flowers and mothers day card. They told me it was because i was their mummy at school. I spent the rest of the morning trying not to cry.

Has it crossed their tiny minds that the poor old teacher may not want yet another a flippin’ Nails Inc nail paint or L'Occitane shower crème? Or, heavens forbid they might not actually like the brands. :eek:

As mentioned above, surely the point of giving a pressie is that the pupil is showing their appreciation to a teacher that has gone above and beyond the call of duty? It would seem that these days’ parents are always in some kind of competition with each other and this is just another display of that.

I dunno, if they don't want it, then it's a free gift to pass onto someone else, can't think anyone would baulk at receiving a good branded product, unless they're allergic to it of course. And as the teachers on here have said, they don't expect gifts, but are grateful, and happy to receive them, I mean who wouldn't be? When my son was at school, I don't recall any big competition between parents as to who gave the teacher the best/most expensive gift. Also doubt if any young child would run home and tell their mother than Ellie's mum bought the teacher a Butler and Wilson brooch, or an Elemis cleanser!
Don't think the teacher would necessarily have to have gone beyond the call of duty, if the kid liked that teacher, or the parent felt that that teacher was good, then why wouldn't they wan't to given them a thank you gesture of some sort?
I honestly don't believe that the matter of teachers gifts is a big a deal as QVC et al would like us to think, lets face it, they've got to spout as many selling points as they possibly can, and let's face it, they'll say anything to try and shift as many units as possible..that's why most items are fabulous for the school run, the mobile home, the son or daughter off to uni, those with dexterity problems etc, etc, etc!

Last edited:
So at least we can see all the teachers are in agreement on this one. They want those gifts to keep on coming!!!!!.

I'm waiting for they day they suggest Slim 'n' Lift as a suitable teacher's present.

We would club together as a class and get our teacher something, only the form teacher though, they had most of it to put up with!

I really appreciate the gifts I get from my class but never just expect them. I am very grateful to the children and they love to see your face as you open their gift. I must say it bugs me when QVC prattle on about gifts for teachers. I would never expect a pupil to buy jewellery etc.

I am an upper primary school teacher ( off school at mo due to glamorous bunion op - that's why I am able to post so early - normally at school from 7.00 -7.00 - with lot's of extra work to do at home)
We certainly do not expect gifts but it is lovely to receive anything, especially if it has been made by the children. Whether we deserve it or not is up to the sender. I do have to laugh at the comments made by some people on here. Everyone is an expert on our job apart from ourselves. I spend a fortune buying things for school. Our headteacher refused to put up any money for the older children to have an Xmas party. I happily stumped up £30 for my kids ( my TA put in £20) so the children could have a tea party and v small gift. We do these things out of our money because we care not cos' we want duvets and diamonique coming out of our ears.
I hobbled to the door to tip my window cleaner a tenner this morning - he wasn't expecting it but he does do a sparkling window. I will tip my hairdresser, colourist and the shampoo girl extra for Xmas as they make my hair look fab. My binman is just rude and will get nothing.

Meant to add that a girl in my class knitted me a scarf for my Christmas a few years back. I really appreciated the fact that she had spent so much time on my gift. She was in primary 4 and had knitted it by herself.

So at least we can see all the teachers are in agreement on this one. They want those gifts to keep on coming!!!!!.

No they don't, they are grateful to recieve one but they never "want the gifts to keep on coming".

Meant to add to my post that a girl in my class knitted me a scarf for my Christmas. I really appreciated the fact that she had spent so much time on my gift. She was in primary 4 and had knitted it by herself.

awwww how sweet is that? :) A gift from the heart.

really, i thought what we all said was we appreciate the gifts but don't expect them. We also said that homemade gifts and cards meant a lot to us and lastly it's qvc making out teachers should be bought the gifts not the teachers themselves.

QVC have blown the whole "teachers gift" thing completely out of proportion.

I don't expect a gift of any sort - but those that I do get given, mean everything - especially all the homemade cards and gifts.

These cards and small gifts are in the same manner that I have given nurses for looking after my children in hospital,my neighbour for picking up the post whilst I'm on holiday or my son's football manager,just becauase its christmas :)

I don't know if the qvc presenters just have too much money,have too much competition or just go to very,very expensive private schools - but they are certaily "fuelling" the worst side of the teachers christmas gift.

To be honest I'm sure even Suzy doesn't believe it's a sensible teacher's gift - it's just a phrase used in desperation when the sales aren't going very well! Could be a gift for the postman though! LOL!!!!

Meant to add that a girl in my class knitted me a scarf for my Christmas a few years back. I really appreciated the fact that she had spent so much time on my gift. She was in primary 4 and had knitted it by herself.

That is so sweet, I just hope she didn't get jeered at by the other kids for her pressie being deemed "naff" like my little nephew's friend was when he produced a small box of choccies he'd brought out of his own pocket money.

I agree with you Misteriousgirl, I don't reckon the presenters are conscious of what they do say half the time it's just bleat on the same trolley.

Latest posts

Back