Duvet set - teacher's gift????!!!!!!

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Starlight

Registered Shopper
I've heard it all now, that Suzi Northern Nights woman talking about a £50duvet set....

"Maybe this could be a teacher's gift" and then added "if a few of you club together" :eekhair:

Maybe some of you could suggest it tomorrow to the other mums when you drop your kids off at school :speechless2:

I've heard it all now, that Suzi Northern Nights woman talking about a £50duvet set....

"Maybe this could be a teacher's gift" and then added "if a few of you club together" :eekhair:

Maybe some of you could suggest it tomorrow to the other mums when you drop your kids off at school :speechless2:

Of course! It's the first thing that springs to mind isn't it?
I can just imagine the look on the teacher's face too when you ask her/him what size bed they've got:confused:

i loved the tova show yesterday morning - they said a ring would be a perfect gift for a teacher....errr....how do you get the right ize? ask your kid to go and ask for their teacher's ring size? sometimes qvc presenters do not think...

i loved the tova show yesterday morning - they said a ring would be a perfect gift for a teacher....errr....how do you get the right ize? ask your kid to go and ask for their teacher's ring size? sometimes qvc presenters do not think...

only sometimes:D:D

I love threads like these, 'cause they remind me what got me hooked to watching the shopping channels in the first place...just what are these presenters like eh? Back in my day lol! our parents use to encourage us to make our teacher a little something, or if our parents were going to buy something, perhaps it would be a small box of choccies....but could you imagine your kid struggling in on the last day of term with a bliddy duvet set?! I think this must be one of, if not the most inappropriate "teacher gift" I've ever heard suggested! What next.....curtains? flat pack furniture?

Why should teachers be given gifts they are only doing their job for which they get well paid and bluddy good holidays as well. It's ridiculous there are many people on minimum wage who work very hard doing jobs that many of us would not do. Who gives them a gift at Christmas? Answer.....nobody!!!

Why should teachers be given gifts they are only doing their job for which they get well paid and bluddy good holidays as well. It's ridiculous there are many people on minimum wage who work very hard doing jobs that many of us would not do. Who gives them a gift at Christmas? Answer.....nobody!!!

now now. Firstly i've recently given up teaching and no teacher expects a present at the end of term but they are always gratefully received.
they are not well paid for what they do. A teachers salary is not nearly as much as people think.
My average day started at 7.30 often having meetings, and after a day with the children when i got home i was marking, planning, assessing and doing reams of paper work often till late at night. Also the majority of holidays were spent working as well. There is a view that teachers work 9-3.30 and are always on holiday, i can assure you that is not the case.

And why not?, If a child was particularly fond of his/her teacher, or the parent thought that they did a good job, what's wrong with a little token of their appreciation? They don't HAVE to do it, but may feel that they want to. Same as giving a pressie to the hospital staff who have treated you, or a tip to your hairdresser if they've made you look a million dollars. Ok, so you might sweat your arse off working in a factory on minimum wage, but just because it's a job that doesn't elicit tips, doesn't go to say that the people doing the jobs that do, don't deserve them....It's just one of those things unfortunately, and if you don't think an individual deserves a tip or pressie...don't give 'em one..simple!

I am waiting for Sunday for the DIY hours-loads of "teacher's pressie" opportunities there..................! Might go for one of those folding ladders, I think! Am sure it would go down a storm.
Sometimes, these stupid guests and presenters just do not think, do they?

And why not?, If a child was particularly fond of his/her teacher, or the parent thought that they did a good job, what's wrong with a little token of their appreciation? They don't HAVE to do it, but may feel that they want to. Same as giving a pressie to the hospital staff who have treated you, or a tip to your hairdresser if they've made you look a million dollars. Ok, so you might sweat your arse off working in a factory on minimum wage, but just because it's a job that doesn't elicit tips, doesn't go to say that the people doing the jobs that do, don't deserve them....It's just one of those things unfortunately, and if you don't think an individual deserves a tip or pressie...don't give 'em one..simple!

totally agree merryone.

I'm with bettyboo on this. Most other public servants are actually prohibited from accepting gifts (even small token gifts have to be handed in where I work and are given to charity).

The Local Authorities should ensure the practise is stopped so parents aren't put under unnecessary pressure by kids to get the teachers presents.

Individual teachers could also request that no presents are sent in but that home-made cards or other small, non commercial gestures would be fine.

There are lots of ways parents/kids can say thanks without having to stock up the teachers wine cabinet.

I agree most public service workers aren't allowed to accept them but nurses who i have enormous respect for will often accept chocolates.
Hairdressers accept tips as do waitresses, the bin men at xmas. cab drivers etc. And don't get me started on some of my friends who work in the city who last year received a bonus higher than my yearly salary.

I have to say i have loved every gift i ever received along with the lovely cards and notes the children write. The parent's who were happy bought presents and those who weren't didn't simple as that.
Teachers don't expect them but appreciate them. I saw more of the children during the day than their parents did and you develop a very strong relationship with the children. If they want to show their appreciation i really don't see what the problem is.

Last edited:
now now. Firstly i've recently given up teaching and no teacher expects a present at the end of term but they are always gratefully received.
they are not well paid for what they do. A teachers salary is not nearly as much as people think.
My average day started at 7.30 often having meetings, and after a day with the children when i got home i was marking, planning, assessing and doing reams of paper work often till late at night. Also the majority of holidays were spent working as well. There is a view that teachers work 9-3.30 and are always on holiday, i can assure you that is not the case.

Well said,LE.
As an ex-teacher I certainly agree with you.Not to mention the many hundreds of pounds of my own money I spent over the years on construction equipment, story books,glue sticks,felt pens,pencils,copying paper etc.

My children have always MADE a little present for their primary school teacher. We vary it between a bookmark, a fridge magnet, a calendar and a keyring. All at very minimal cost and they really enjoy giving their teachers something handmade.
I think it is entirely optional but the teachers really seem to appreciate the effort the children have put into their gift

I'm with bettyboo on this. Most other public servants are actually prohibited from accepting gifts (even small token gifts have to be handed in where I work and are given to charity).

The Local Authorities should ensure the practise is stopped so parents aren't put under unnecessary pressure by kids to get the teachers presents.

Individual teachers could also request that no presents are sent in but that home-made cards or other small, non commercial gestures would be fine.

There are lots of ways parents/kids can say thanks without having to stock up the teachers wine cabinet.

I think that mostly "teachers gifts" aren't extravagant, and are usually "from" the child rather than the parent, even if it is the parent who pays for it...iykwim! If anyone needs to be told, it's the silly arses on the shopping channels who are suggesting that an expensive set of bedlinen, or a piece of fine jewellery is an appropriate present to give to a teacher at the end of term! I think should the LEA put a stop to this matter, then political correctness would have most certainly gone mad.(However, should a school adopt this as their policy, if they've experienced problems, then fine, I guess). Sorry, but I must say it again, if you want to give someone who you've appreciated a thank you gesture, then why bliddy not?...and if you're daft enough to think you've got to spend a small fortune, and encourage your kids to brag about it, that's up to you..it's your money!

when i was little, my mother always used to get a few gifts for our teachers...usually we had one for our class teacher and one other if we had another we were particularly fond of...my brother and i were quite fond of school and it was a nice thing to do...but i never remember any other children offering gifts to teachers so it was quite odd when i watched QVC and heard this being suggested every few minutes for virtually every product going!

For what it is worth, i think a small gift is a lovely idea - something made is v v nice, but if not, a small box of chocolates or something is kind. i think QVC has the unfortunate situation of making it sound both commonplace and an expectation...which takes all the sentiment out of the gift.

I also do not think it is a coincidence that my brother and i enjoyed school when my mother was doing this kind of thing - it is one of the many things that made it obvious to us that we should respect our teachers and enjoy school and be grateful etc etc...it was not until i was doing A'Levels that I remember having a chat with fellow students and their views on respect being something that should be earned whereas i was brought up to think it is something that is given at the outset....i am sure on some level, the gift giving is one of the things that helped foster that attitude...(maybe!)

Well said,LE.
As an ex-teacher I certainly agree with you.Not to mention the many hundreds of pounds of my own money I spent over the years on construction equipment, story books,glue sticks,felt pens,pencils,copying paper etc.

That's so true Judith. Not only that all the resources from various places you visit that fit into a topic you might be teaching. I spent a fortune on those types of things.

I agree most public service workers aren't allowed to accept them but nurses who i have enormous respect for will often accept chocolates.
Hairdressers accept tips as do waitresses, the bin men at xmas. cab drivers etc. And don't get me started on some of my friends who work in the city who last year received a bonus higher than my yearly salary.

I have to say i have loved every gift i ever received along with the lovely cards and notes the children write. The parent's who were happy bought presents and those who weren't didn't simple as that.
Teachers don't expect them but appreciate them. I saw more of the children during the day than their parents did and you develop a very strong relationship with the children. If they want to show their appreciation i really don't see what the problem is.

Well said,LE.

My mum always had to buy her own books etc out of her pay packet too otherwise they would have had very little.

Well said all of you.

It is also worth noting that teachers are the only public sector workers who are expected to take their work home with them to finish it. If they didn't they would never leave the school and if they only worked the hours paid the school systems would collapse and parents would be the first to complain about how little information etc is being made available about their childrens education. With new rules etc coming into force all the time the list of forms and other things gets longer and so does the teachers unpaid workload.

My mum was always very grateful for the gifts given to her. Although a duvet set would have been a gift too far.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back