credit to mike mason

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

True, but if you look on the first page of this thread someone saw him recently miss selling again.

PJ
What ones? I could find these ones...

I've just heard him selling the dongle and he's coming out with all the same garbage about Sky and how with this you don't pay a subscription blah blah!!!!!!

....Then, because he wasn't sure of the technology, in came Mikeyboy who proceeded to give his "this is a cheap alternative to Sky" spiel...back to the same old BS.

I saw this sell and this is where my comment about exaggerating came in. Yes mike did mention sky, but not how you may think he might have done from his past sells. He only said "I've reduced my sky package" (not even mentioning the cost) Peter then says how much his costs a month and for the overall year, and then mike swiftly went off the subject.

Benny, this post on the first page is what I am talking about.

I've just heard him selling the dongle and he's coming out with all the same garbage about Sky and how with this you don't pay a subscription blah blah!!!!!!
I hope everyone realises the dongle doesn't get you ANYTHING that you can't get already.
It doesn't receive anything at all -it's just a library of links to websites that are streaming onto the internet.
You can access all the same sites by using Google-the way BidTv big it up is just to fool the public into paying an exorbitant charge for something the size of a memory stick to be mailed to them whilst being conned into thinking they will be accessing extra media.

ETA: sorry seen you quoted it too. I know he had been getting better but there is no excuse for this IMHO.

Unfortunately for Mike this forum is representative of our society, and our society much prefers talking about the villain than the hero. It's wonderful that he has shown signs of change but terrible news for this forum. Flattery is so dull and short-lived while denigration really has legs !... Bring back 'bad mike' give us a reason to seethe with rage :)

Unfortunately for Mike this forum is representative of our society, and our society much prefers talking about the villain than the hero. It's wonderful that he has shown signs of change but terrible news for this forum. Flattery is so dull and short-lived while denigration really has legs !... Bring back 'bad mike' give us a reason to seethe with rage :)

I can only speak for myself but you are 100% wrong. Nothing makes me happier than seeing old Mike back. I don't want him to miss sell as I know he is ripping off customers. Just sounds like making excuses for him to me. It brings me no pleasure whatsoever when he lies.

PJ

What ones? I could find these ones...

I saw this sell and this is where my comment about exaggerating came in. Yes mike did mention sky, but not how you may think he might have done from his past sells. He only said "I've reduced my sky package" (not even mentioning the cost) Peter then says how much his costs a month and for the overall year, and then mike swiftly went off the subject.

You have quoted very selectively from my post.

The point is that if you subscribe to Sky you access channels that are not otherwise available-the dongle does not give you any stations you cannot get by using Google therefore any reference whatsoever to Sky and subscription charges is misleading.
The Bid presenters imply that the dongle gets you media that you could not otherwise view or listen to.
It simply doesn't.

Come on PJ. You have clearly enjoyed you private vendetta. Whatever reason you use to justify it. Saving the pensioners etc etc etc .. Even when someone is impressed with the fella you steer the vessel back towards hatred. ALA THIS thread lol. It's ok. You don't have to feel bad. That's why we are on a forum. To slag people off a bit.but to try and make out your on a crusade to save the world is a bit much. It's not exactly 'honours list' material lol.

Come on PJ. You have clearly enjoyed you private vendetta. Whatever reason you use to justify it. Saving the pensioners etc etc etc .. Even when someone is impressed with the fella you steer the vessel back towards hatred. ALA THIS thread lol. It's ok. You don't have to feel bad. That's why we are on a forum. To slag people off a bit.but to try and make out your on a crusade to save the world is a bit much. It's not exactly 'honours list' material lol.

If you look at PJ's previous post he says that nothing makes him happier than when the old Mike is back and I agree, Mike is not a villain but when he lies and exaggerates it's unethical. I think all we want is transparency and honesty, it can be done, we've seen the evidence.
PJ has never professed to be on a crusade to save the world and I doubt he's interested in the honours list, I do think this is a bit insulting to a person who wants honesty.
We all have our reasons for being on here, sometimes the banter is fun and sometimes the posts are more serious and sometimes they're controversial. I think it's unkind to to get personal about another forum member.

You have got me totally wrong but I don't mind, you are entitled to your opinion and I am not loosing sleep over it. I come on this forum because I love any live TV including shopping channels. I also like buying an odd bargain or two. You say it is a private vendetta. You do know what private means right? To me that would mean me doing it on something in private, like writing to Mike. I don't think a very busy forum that gets millions of page hits a year private. I don't think of myself on a crusade but even if I was what business is it of yours? I am the first to praise Mike and bid in general and only post about negative things when he does negative things. I am not the one who is doing anything wrong. If it wasn't for people like me and others on this forum, BBC Watchdog and others, Auction World would still be broadcasting. I have no interest in bid closing but I do want then to change. If I only said bad things you would have a point but check my posts. When I buy or see something good I say about it. When I hear others see something I say it.

If you have a problem with my posts, click on the report button. When Graham and his team tell me to stop I will. Otherwise ... I'll carry on.

PJ.

You have quoted very selectively from my post.

The point is that if you subscribe to Sky you access channels that are not otherwise available-the dongle does not give you any stations you cannot get by using Google therefore any reference whatsoever to Sky and subscription charges is misleading.
The Bid presenters imply that the dongle gets you media that you could not otherwise view or listen to.
It simply doesn't.

I was merely quoting the points where members had said about him going back to his old ways. Yes maybe staying away from sky/ virgin would be better, but the way you said it, it made it sound like he went back to his 10 minute spiel about sky etc. which was not the case. Yes he mentioned it, but twenty seconds later we didn't hear another word. I just wanted to make it clear to people who didn't see it that it was mentioned briefly and not like he used to talk about it.

Praise is earn't then praise is given, please specify where any presenter has corrected his mistakes & not received praise on here?..or any presenter that has performed well & not received any praise? I believe this forum is very fair when it comes to being complementary to anybody willing to learn from a mistake or even improve themselves in general.

If certain presenters actually listened to us/the consumer just like Peter Sherlock has then they wouldn't be in the mess with the ASA & ofcom they are now.

the mention of sky was in one section of a 20 minute sale for about 35 seconds

he even clarified that he was not comparing like for like

If you look at PJ's previous post he says that nothing makes him happier than when the old Mike is back and I agree, Mike is not a villain but when he lies and exaggerates it's unethical. I think all we want is transparency and honesty, it can be done, we've seen the evidence.
PJ has never professed to be on a crusade to save the world and I doubt he's interested in the honours list, I do think this is a bit insulting to a person who wants honesty.
We all have our reasons for being on here, sometimes the banter is fun and sometimes the posts are more serious and sometimes they're controversial. I think it's unkind to to get personal about another forum member.

I agree, there is simply no need to single out PJ as there is many of us on here who have reported certain presenters for rule breaking as it was getting out of hand. I personally feel PJ deserves a pat on the back as he has always been both honest & very tolerant.

I would like to ask Bingowings a question, she/he said they had reported GEMS tv for mentioning rival brands whilst selling certain items..... even though I told her/him a few times it isn't against any ASA regulations to use a rival brands name to distinguish your own product from theres, now how is Mike mentioning SKY/VIRGIN whilst trying to sell the dongle any different?

Praise is earn't then praise is given, please specify where any presenter has corrected his mistakes & not received praise on here?..or any presenter that has performed well & not received any praise? I believe this forum is very fair when it comes to being complementary to anybody willing to learn from a mistake or even improve themselves in general.

If certain presenters actually listened to us/the consumer just like Peter Sherlock has then they wouldn't be in the mess
with the ASA & ofcom they are now.

They have themselves to blame for the mess. But I don't think they are the worst channel. There are worse but they are not under the microscope like BID. I find mike mason pretty funny when I see him. But reading on here it's like wolves at the gate waiting for him to say something even slightly contentious or sensational. Again. Self enduced but not exactly fair and balanced. my point was that we love to complain and moan. It's just British cultour! It's not an opinion it's a fact. We prefer to talk about the negative. We find it more interesting for some reason.I'm not too bothered to be honest but I do find it all really entertaining lol. It would be dull on here if they was all angels right? What would we talk about? Halogen ovens ????.....

They have themselves to blame for the mess. But I don't think they are the worst channel. There are worse but they are not under the microscope like BID. I find mike mason pretty funny when I see him. But reading on here it's like wolves at the gate waiting for him to say something even slightly contentious or sensational. Again. Self enduced but not exactly fair and balanced. my point was that we love to complain and moan. It's just British cultour! It's not an opinion it's a fact. We prefer to talk about the negative. We find it more interesting for some reason.I'm not too bothered to be honest but I do find it all really entertaining lol. It would be dull on here if they was all angels right? What would we talk about? Halogen ovens ????.....

If you want to talk about one sided, look no further than most of Mike's fan club like M&M. People who criticise also praise too, me included.

PJ

I agree, there is simply no need to single out PJ as there is many of us on here who have reported certain presenters for rule breaking as it was getting out of hand. I personally feel PJ deserves a pat on the back as he has always been both honest & very tolerant.

I would like to ask Bingowings a question, she/he said they had reported GEMS tv for mentioning rival brands whilst selling certain items..... even though I told her/him a few times it isn't against any ASA regulations to use a rival brands
name to distinguish your own product from theres, now how is Mike mentioning SKY/VIRGIN whilst trying to sell the
dongle any different?

I have reported both to be honest. I know we disagree on the meaning of the ASA rules. But I feel
They are in breach of the rules when they 'piggy back' the reputation of another brand to help sell their product. And the ASA consultants are in agreement. BID used to be terrible for this but have improved of late. GEMS TV share your view that it's not an issue. It will be interesting to see how they rule.

I'm not on here to insult anyone. Sorry pj if I did that. I'm just quite opinionated.

I have reported both to be honest. I know we disagree on the meaning of the ASA rules. But I feel
They are in breach of the rules when they 'piggy back' the reputation of another brand to help sell their product. And the ASA consultants are in agreement. BID used to be terrible for this but have improved of late. GEMS TV share your view that it's not an issue. It will be interesting to see how they rule.

I'm not on here to insult anyone. Sorry pj if I did that. I'm just quite opinionated.

Not insulted me at all. You are entitled to your opinions :)

the mention of sky was in one section of a 20 minute sale for about 35 seconds

he even clarified that he was not comparing like for like

Whether it was 20 seconds or 20 minutes the fact that both presenters mentioned Sky implied a comparison and could lead people to expect they'll be getting somthing they won't. The dongle merely sorts out and arranges thousands of (mainly) obscure foreign channels - nothing to do with having a Sky sub.

Whether it was 20 seconds or 20 minutes the fact that both presenters mentioned Sky implied a comparison and could lead people to expect they'll be getting somthing they won't. The dongle merely sorts out and arranges thousands of (mainly) obscure foreign channels - nothing to do with having a Sky sub.

going over and over old ground here

my post was to praise mike for changing his way as A WHOLE (nobody could argue that especially if you watch one of his old old shows on you tube)

i have made more negative posts about mike than any other presenter

the channels that cater for jewellery specifically are far worse but no one wants to sit through it... whereas bid has variety and is a bit of a guilty pleasure for many. hense it's negative points are amplified (but not unjustified)

Do you think it's got to the point that we require a level of honesty from bid that is way beyond that of any other advertiser? I say this because we are. Demanding they tell us about the negative features of an item just as much as the positive. We don't demand this level of honesty from others do we? They are in sales/advertising after all. Imagine if the same rule was applied to every advertisement on TV? "we are injury lasers for you. Actually we are not real lawyers but the company paying for this advert will take 40% if they win" .. Or ... "the all new range rover. Group 17 insurance and just 20mpg . But looks stunning" .. Or ..."burger king taste is king and half of your daily Fat allowance"

I could go on but I think you get the point. Has BID been so naughty that they have created a situation where we don't just want the facts and truth but we want to know everything bad or negative too?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back