Completely unhelpful statements

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

stratobuddy

Registered Shopper
Once upon a time, in the olden days of yore, long long ago, QVC used to give meaningful information about items.

These days, there is no substance at all, just fluffy waffle.

For example, when demonstrating the garden lounger, they never once showed the handle used to adjust it, and how to do it.

Instead, we had statements like - when your sitting in this chair, you could read a book. And the gnome, to show how up to date he is, said you could even read a kindle in it. And we learned you could drink something, or doze, or listen to music.

And Lee, on tech like tablets and PC's, says you can look at this website which shows you a skeleton, or this one which plays music, or this one that ......... Etc etc. Hardly anything about the details of the item itself, he uses the same spiel for everything.

So can you add to the list of useless info, such as "you can put this face cream onto your face", or "you can put this necklace around your neck"?

Over to you for REAL meaningless statements about ITEMS (not the "jumping to the phones" type of comments though).

You mean like when the presenter says....this dyson is a good product for vacuuming your home.......yes indeed but at what price (and I've not found my 55 one that great but it is the charging up one so may not be as powerful)...

You mean like when the presenter says....this dyson is a good product for vacuuming your home.......yes indeed but at what price (and I've not found my 55 one that great but it is the charging up one so may not be as powerful)...

Yes, they never compare it to any other make, with the pros and cons, in fact, every vac they demo is the best one ever.

Good post strato, maybe the less they say the less they can get into trouble for. "Ooh look at this" crops up a lot and gets on my nerves as do adjectives repeated for England, fantastic, marvellous, incredible. They can't even get colours right never mind tech info.

Unhelpful and in my view misleading was telling us the DAB radio picked up European stations,the guest should have shown the plug adapter.

I am not expecting anyone to remember past statements, just be on the lookout for new ones to post here as and when.

But feel free to add any that you can remember, like I can vividly remember "you could read a book while sitting in this chair".

Unhelpful and in my view misleading was telling us the DAB radio picked up European stations,the guest should have shown the plug adapter.

She also said it charges the batteries (it doesn't).

But this thread is mainly about NON-information (IE useless), not LIES as these are mentioned a lot in other threads.

The worst thing about those non-info garden lounger presentations is that it takes 3 ****** people to demonstrate them (or not demonstrate them, as the case may be).

Once upon a time, in the olden days of yore, long long ago, QVC used to give meaningful information about items.

For example, when demonstrating the garden lounger, they never once showed the handle used to adjust it, and how to do it.

Instead, we had statements like - when your sitting in this chair, you could read a book. And the gnome, to show how up to date he is, said you could even read a kindle in it. And we learned you could drink something, or doze, or listen to music.

And Lee, on tech like tablets and PC's, says you can look at this website which shows you a skeleton, or this one which plays music, or this one that ......... Etc etc. Hardly anything about the details of the item itself, he uses the same spiel for everything.

So can you add to the list of useless info, such as "you can put this face cream onto your face", or "you can put this necklace around your neck"?

Over to you for REAL meaningless statements about ITEMS (not the "jumping to the phones" type of comments though).

Or in DFs case you can wave this big stick around and call it a Body Blade.

There was an extremely helpful and informative comment from Ms Franks back in February, when she was showing a Lulu Guinness umbrella and she said it stops you getting wet! I was so interested to hear that and it sounded so useful, I went from thinking I wouldn't buy this odd looking gadget to almost buying six at £25 each!

Last edited:
Great idea for a thread, Strato. I think it will run and run as the weeks go by!

I suppose that with items such as the kitchenaid mixer, they say that "you can mix this, or mix that".

Then they produce cakes from the oven "that they made earlier".

But probably no real info such as the speed range, what beaters you need for various foods, and what speeds to use, etc.

I'm looking forward to the fashion and makeup quotes, as I never watch these myself.

Can anyone remember Tim Goodwin, who did technology, pointing at each gadget at the end of his presentation, and saying something like "And that's what it's all about". Please correct me if I've got the quote wrong. But he gave REAL information about the products.

There was an extremely helpful and informative comment from Ms Franks back in February, when she was showing a Lulu Guinness umbrella and she said it stops you getting wet! I was so interested to hear that and it sounded so useful, I went from thinking I wouldn't buy this odd looking gadget to almost buying six at £25 each!

Wow! An umbrella to stop you getting wet in the rain! Who'd have though it? Did you know it also doubles as a parasol to shade you from the sun? I bought umbrellas for each of my vehicles recently - just small ones to go in the glove compartment. Thinking about it now I might get a larger umbrella as one vehicle has two boots.

Recently the gnome was touting 2 of his bags of compost. He said: "The advantage of this is that it is made fresh!" This seemed spurious to say the least. Then he went on to say: "At this rate you could double up and have plenty of compost to see you into next year!"

Wow! An umbrella to stop you getting wet in the rain! Who'd have though it? Did you know it also doubles as a parasol to shade you from the sun? I bought umbrellas for each of my vehicles recently - just small ones to go in the glove compartment. Thinking about it now I might get a larger umbrella as one vehicle has two boots.

I know! Must have been made of waterproof material or something, and then you hold it over your head so the rain runs off and misses you.

I know! Must have been made of waterproof material or something, and then you hold it over your head so the rain runs off and misses you.

I'm surprised they didn't call it a "compact folding portable rain shield!"

I'm surprised they didn't call it a "compact folding portable rain shield!"

Yeah like Sarah G, she was actually amazed that a lid opened........and closed......I don't know, whatever next hey? a man on the moon? :mysmilie_17:

Jackie Kabler told us the other day on Marla Wynne that if we bought 2 in different colours, we would get 2 in different colours. I'm so glad she clarified that for me.

We sell this foundation in several different colours so you can perfectly match to your skintone and then when a colour sells out they say, don`t worry you can get away with buying a totally different shade because it will adapt and is very forgiving so you can go up or down a couple of shades.

Latest posts

Back