Come on then, own up .....

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Wasn't me! Wish it was!I once got a basket of unwrapped chocolates with an old pierced ear ring in the bottom! Oh well, it's the thought that counts.

Just revisiting the post after being out for a while :) Wow, you people are all so generous and nice. I think teachers don't get half the credit they deserve so presents seem the right way to go. What I thought was a bit of a nonsense is obviously well given and received. I think I stand corrected.

CC

I qualified as a primary teacher (see my motto below) and I thought it would be a really cushy job up to my retirement, what with the short hours and long holidays etc.

I was totally wrong, and 1 year was enough for me.

I work in the town where I live and am now teaching the children of children who were in my classes. I've not lost my marbles (yet) and can remember each of them. For me, if they say "you made a difference" then that's worth more than any of the gifts I've received. Mind you, it means I have to 'behave' when I'm out incase an ex-pupil is lurking in the background. :wink:

It's lovely to see people on here acknowledging that it's not an easy career. Some people just think we're in it for the holidays. :eek: I never get a real holiday because I'm usually doing things for school (without the bell going off all the time) but the reward is the children and their zest for life and for learning.

I've always wanted to teach and am lucky that I've been able to fulfill that dream. Mind you, when I start teaching the grandchildren of the children I've taught, maybe that'll be the time to 'hang up my mortar board!"

Maybe I should retrain and teach. Be the teacher that was never there for me?? People that I work with tell me I would be a good teacher. I doubt I have it in me.

CC

My two kids made a batch of cookies, wrapped them in cellophane and ribbon and wrote messages on tags and they gave them to their teachers last year, we'll probably do the same this time.

Maybe I should retrain and teach. Be the teacher that was never there for me?? People that I work with tell me I would be a good teacher. I doubt I have it in me.

You should if its what you really want to do.
It's such a rewarding job and watching children, learn, progress and develop is one of the best feelings.
I didn't leave because ii hated teaching it was because i loved it. I know that sounds strange but unfortunately the more you get promoted the less time you spend in the classroom,away from the kids. That was not what I wanted ,so i left. Not a day goes by when i don't miss the children.

Go for it, the profession needs people who genuinely want to teach .

Another here who was a teacher once.
I taught for nine years till the family came along. Didn't go back as my son had health issues so I'd started up a business that gave me flexible hours as CEO, apart from some night school work to keep it afloat when it was struggling in the eighties.
Don't recall any of us getting presents when I started back in the sixties, other than some very touching ones from the children themselves like a lollipop in a screw of crumpled Christmas paper.

I just don't get it I'm afraid :( Why is it ok to 'tip' or give gifts to certain people, but not others? I mean, can you imagine how offended a Pilot would be if you dropped of £1 on your way past the exit door of the holiday jet? Why don't you buy the street cleaner a box of chocs and some l'occitane? Surely everyone does their jobs at the end of the day as well as everyone else and although a teacher or GP may do their chosen career for the 'love' of the job, there are many who do their job for the £££ too. Also, many a street cleaner or corner shop worker may not have had the brains or opportunity to get trained to be something other, which would be deemed as a 'gift worthy' at Christmas. I am not being bah humbug at all, I just find it so so weird that all you teachers on here regularly got gifts, but my partner who worked all his life as a roofer and a labourer, never got one :(

I dont know why we tip hairdressers although I do tip mine as Id feel mean not to, but people like waiters who work every night and do unsociable hours for our social pleasure deserve to be tipped.

I think it is because of the close relationship teachers/teaching assistants have with families/children on a daily basis for many years - in loco parentis. I am sorry if you have not had that with teaching staff you have known.

I think the reason teachers get gifts is because of the relationship that develops over a year between the teacher and child. We sometimes see them more than their parents. I've lost count of the number of times i got called mummy by mistake.

Not saying its right or wrong but that's why. Like i said in an earlier post a thank you is appreciated just as much as any present.

Despite reports to the contrary, I think over the past 35 years people have more disposable income. During my school years in the 50's and 60's credit cards were'nt about, so everyone was in the same boat and had to save up or have hire purchase for what was wanted. Thus, birthdays and christmas were special, and parents had to either save all year for gifts, or knock something up in the garden shed, be it a fort for the boys or dolls house for the girls. The idea of spending the little money that was about on gifts for teachers, milkmen/dustman et al was totally unheard of.

I think its a case of people do the giving thing now, because everyone else does it and don't want to be seen as mean.

I think you are right Brissles and also I think tipping people like Coal men , delivery people, binmen etc was something rich people used to do and as ordinary people started having money to spare thought Hey I can do that too. I think this big christmas gift giving lark went mad after all the christmas, smaltzy films came out starting in the 80s with big american homes covered in lights and 30 foot trees in the halls.

Latest posts

Back