Christmas in July! and August, September, October, november!

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

When my teenagers were tiny I bought the Xmas train (Santa Express?) which ran on its own track around our tree for many years. It even "chuffed "out smoke! Naff as anything but they were little and absolutely loved it. In the end we all grew out of it and I gave it away but it seemed virtually indestructible. QVC back then (late 90s) sold things that weren't available readily on the high street but in recent years they've churned out the same sad offerings: who would buy that square electronic game thingy for over £20 delivered when there are more sophisticated games on smart phones? Threaten the Xmas buyers with a stint in the BidTV perfume buying department if they don't pull their socks up QVC! It's all a bit poor.

PS Speckled Hen - happy to read you're recovering from illness, only just spotted the message on your post x

Last edited:
When my teenagers were tiny I bought the Xmas train (Santa Express?) which ran on its own track around our tree for many years. It even "chuffed "out smoke! Naff as anything but they were little and absolutely loved it. In the end we all grew out of it and I gave it away but it seemed virtually indestructible. QVC back then (late 90s) sold things that weren't available readily on the high street but in recent years they've churned out the same sad offerings: who would buy that square electronic game thingy for over £20 delivered when there are more sophisticated games on smart phones? Threaten the Xmas buyers with a stint in the BidTV perfume buying department if they don't pull their socks up QVC! It's all a bit poor.

PS Speckled Hen - happy to read you're recovering from illness, only just spotted the message on your post x

Thanks Jude, glad to be back xx
That box thing has been on for ages, cos I bought it for my family ages ago - when you think about the amazing toys and innovations coming from Japan and China........

I love Christmas. I really miss my Mum who passed away when I was younger. I love watching television programmes I like. Plus I love Christmas dinner xxx

I personally find Christmas VERY difficult. From the first week in December there is a certain bleakness, a coldness in spirit as well as temperature, like it's permanently twilight. The sunlight is thinner. The tinsel, the mince pies, radio adverts featuring sleighbells, the warmed wine the tacky records (especially Slade) that get dragged out year after year "because it's Christmas," the work colleagues that say things like: "what are you DOING for Christmas?" (like you have do be DOING something, and have pre-planned it through to the most minute detail, God forbid if you're not DOING something!") and I have to try and rack my brains for a tactful answer, as I couldn't say "sitting at home, reading books and doing crossword puzzles and anything to try and stop me from killing myself." That would be too honest and offensive. I have tried the: "I would rather not talk about it," line but that upsets people. I have tried the: "Nothing planned really, will see how it goes," but that then leads them onto talking about it even more when I DON'T WANT TO. So usually I will say something like: "Oh I'll have a quiet Christmas at home, catch up on a few things," and hope they leave it at that. It sometimes helps if I avoid eye contact with them at this stage. I hate the do-gooders that do good "because it's Christmas." What about the rest of the year? Hah?

I don't like Christmas even at the correct time, let alone be reminded of it in the middle of the ****** summer! I'm sure it's great for some people. The tree, the lights, the look on the kids' faces when they open their presents, the merriment, the indulgence. For some people it's very different. The lonely, old and young. The marginalised. Those who don't have any family. It's a time of year when solitude slips into loneliness. My heart goes out to all those who are lonely at Christmas or at ANY time of year. Bless you that you will have the fortitude to get through it and come through that thorny wood. I can see myself this year, perched in front of a lightbox, dosed up to the eyeballs with 5 -HTP like an animal in a lab experiment. Makes me want to cry even thinking about it. I'm sorry for this depressing rant. Today I was at Chiswick market and the sunlight felt thinner for the first time this year. It just hit me that that time of year is beckoning on the horizon. I'm now going to go and listen to Justin Hayward's "Forever Autumn" as that song sums up how I feel right now.

Good luck with your interview in Brighton Julius, I just hope they don't ask you about Christmas :wink:

Seriously though, the impossibly stylised Christmas tableau presented in the media is tough for those whose 25th December is lonelier than any other day of the year!

Latest posts

Back