Charlie Bears so popular!

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

piper4

Feline & Veiltail Techie!
Two Elms left & One Oak north of Pixie Wood on the
Hi everyone

Just bought my 1st ever Charlie Bear (Rusty) with the easy pay email, so am well pleased to get him he will be company for Ludo, the Charlie Bear show ended early as most of the bears sold out and they showed a few from the evening hour. Ludo was a christmas present last year from my Daughter.

I had a look around quite a lot of the Charlie Bears online stockists and most of their bears are out of stock. I didn't realise they had such a following.

So I wonder how Charlie Bears fare amongst Steiff, Deans, etc., they seem well made, and affordable and are in such high demand.

Just wondered what attracts you to this range?

piper

Hi everyone

Just bought my 1st ever Charlie Bear (Rusty) with the easy pay email, so am well pleased to get him he will be company for Ludo, the Charlie Bear show ended early as most of the bears sold out and they showed a few from the evening hour. Ludo was a christmas present last year from my Daughter.

I had a look around quite a lot of the Charlie Bears online stockists and most of their bears are out of stock. I didn't realise they had such a following.

So I wonder how Charlie Bears fare amongst Steiff, Deans, etc., they seem well made, and affordable and are in such high demand.

Just wondered what attracts you to this range?

piper

Hi,

I own a Steiff bear (yellow tagged Bermese Mountain dog) and a Charlie bear (Holly). I really like Charlie Bears as they are well made, jointed and affordable. Steiff is more of a considered purchase due to costs where as the Charlie Bears are of the more accessible price bracket. I am not a big bear collector but when one catches my eye that I really like then I may have another charlie Bear. I still like my Steiff though.

They just seem to me to be cuter and more 'playable' than other ranges. I have two of the furry little beggars - William and Alice (bought for me as they were the names of my late paternal grandparents) and they are simply adorable, so cute and cuddly and very tactile.

Now Ma Cavey is a bit of a collector of them and has about 8 now I think. She likes them for the same reasons. She has a Steiff bear which she loves - but doesn't feel she can handle it much - whereas the Charlie bears are handleable.

Just my twopennorth :nod:

Charlie bears

I just love them as they have such cute faces.I have Seth,Gabriel,Tiff Toff,Primrose,Custard,Stevie,Charlie 2010,Biddles, and Ross.I have my eye on Grahame for my birthday.They are very well made and not too exspensive.

Hi,

I own a Steiff bear (yellow tagged Bermese Mountain dog) and a Charlie bear (Holly). I really like Charlie Bears as they are well made, jointed and affordable. Steiff is more of a considered purchase due to costs where as the Charlie Bears are of the more accessible price bracket. I am not a big bear collector but when one catches my eye that I really like then I may have another charlie Bear. I still like my Steiff though.

I have the lovely Holly also, or rather my grandaughter has. Pandy Bear (see avatar) is another favourite, big and soft and a bit sad eyed.....with good reason! I've just bought GD's namesake bear, to be put away for Xmas and this one is gorgeous also. All very well made and have that extreme 'cuddle factor'. :nod: But Jed's my boy and I'm keeping him.........:grin:

wurve and snuggle love 'em

i bought wurve you and snuggle to represent me and my beautifull granddaughter. i cannot believe how much character they have.

adorable!:heart:

How robust are these bears, if that's not too daft a question? I have a couple of Steiffs from my childhood and my little boy has quite a number provided by his indulgent grandparents. Said grandparents have always maintained that these are toys to be played with, and encouraged him from babyhood to drag them around and bite their noses (the Steiffs that is, not my parents :giggle:) but I'm still worried as my son can be destructive and I want to preserve them for as long as I can. Charlie Bears look pretty well made to me but I've never seen them IRL. They do seem to have quite an extraordinary following. Has anyone put them to the test with under fives?

Art Deco - he'll be fine with them I'm sure. Sister bought one for me when I was ill and although I haven't played with him and bitten him, I'm sure he could withstand rougher treatment! I'll try to remember to show him to you next time we meet.

Both My Daughter and I love Charlie Bears, they literally do have personalities all of their own. My Daughter now has 50 as she has been collecting since they first appeared on QVC and Inow have 14 which are scattered around my living room. I think my next purchase is Shades. I have never yet been disappointed with any one of the bears. They are extremely well made and so very popular I try and get my order in before the show airs so I don`t miss out. I shall definitely be tuning into the 9 o`clock show.

can't see the appeal myself but am intrigued by them - they do look cute.I recently had a look on ebay for them and couldn't believe the money that was being paid for them!

what i also like about them is that they look handmade and charlie bears are designed by different artists and it shows.

i knit for shyla and everyone goes potty when she wears the clothes i make for her. they look so different to shop bought baby clothes and have character just like these bears all individual!:flower:

Clairella, I failed to resist temptation and ordered my own Tobias this morning, before I went out for the day. I'm quite ashamed of how irresistible I find these bears. I currently have - gulp - eleven - and will have twelve when Tobias arrives. They have such sweet expressions - they melt my heart. I'm quite able to resist other ranges. It's just Charlie Bears that get under my skin.

I only have 2 charlie bears, Rhubarb and Crumble, and they are limited to 7000 - might as well be 700,000! I wouldn't consider them to be truly collectible bears in the same way as hermanns or steiff are. I have an entire collection of hermann spielwaren dressed and plainer bears and they are certainly worth the premium price for the low limited editions and the quality of the bears. I found with my first and still only foray into charlie bears, that the quality left a lot to be desired. The price reflects this. You get what you pay for and, if you pay £150 for a bear, you get a bear worth £150. If you pay £40, you get £40 worth of bear. I would buy a charlie bear again only if I had a reason for so doing. The Louise bear I would buy because of the name, not because I would regard it as part of my collectible collection.

I only have 2 charlie bears, Rhubarb and Crumble, and they are limited to 7000 - might as well be 700,000! I wouldn't consider them to be truly collectible bears in the same way as hermanns or steiff are. I have an entire collection of hermann spielwaren dressed and plainer bears and they are certainly worth the premium price for the low limited editions and the quality of the bears. I found with my first and still only foray into charlie bears, that the quality left a lot to be desired. The price reflects this. You get what you pay for and, if you pay £150 for a bear, you get a bear worth £150. If you pay £40, you get £40 worth of bear. I would buy a charlie bear again only if I had a reason for so doing. The Louise bear I would buy because of the name, not because I would regard it as part of my collectible collection.

I hate to disagree here..all personal taste and all that, but i have other bears Steiff etc and i don't particularly find them that good. For the prices we pay for Charlie bears, i think the quality is excellent both in the plush and in the more expensive mohair Isabelle ranges. Horses for courses and all that but i know which i would choose, day in and out. Also Charlie bears have much more expression and "personality" than the others too.

Last edited:

I have to say that I disagree with Louise 100% and agree with Tabs 100%. I had given up buying mohair bears by artists, Steiff and Deans because it was so expensive. I finally decided to give Charlie Bears a go when they did the Rhubarb and Crumble TSV because of all the good press. I wish I'd started earlier. I now have 20 a year later. I've had Deans bears before where the sewing on the paw pads was terrible and didn't remotely match - a present that I have to display standing up and a Steiff where one side of the muzzle the fur was going in the wrong direction - he went back to QVC! Every Charlie Bear I have bought and seen in a shop is excellent quality without these problems! I have made bears myself on courses a few years ago with Gregory Gyllenship and Janet Changfoot and know what makes a good bear. To me the quality of the Charlie Bears is excellent. I don't think they'd get the top designers working for them if they weren't excellent as they carry their name too! I don't think there's a Charlie Bear on QVC with less than a 4.8 listing on the ratings and some of them have over 100 reviews! I don't think therefore that the quality can be doubted!

Fully agree tinaborder, If there was any quality issues with CB's i wouldn't have a collection of over 80 bears from them..i would have stopped after the first one or two! I would seriously challenge anyone to buy a bear of their quality for the prices we pay! Regarding limited edition numbers i have bears that are limited to 200 and have still paid less (way less) than £100 for a mohair bear....i certainly don't see that being possible with Steiff or Spielwaren for example.

Horses for courses but imo I think you are being very harsh the quality is fantastic, and very good value for money, I don't always buy from qvc but Peter Jones and independant stockists as well.

Looby I too purchase from independant stockists as well as QVC, i tend to mostly purchase exclusives from QVC, or when they at bargain prices.

Latest posts

Back