Charlie Bears - fan or not?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I have a question, for those that DO collect these bears.

Like all stuffed toys, they take up an enormous amount of space, on beds, shelves, any work space going. So here's the thing, when the collecting 'fad' is over where do they go ? Are they donated to a Children's Ward, Charity shop, the Skip ? I know the enjoyment one gets etc etc but unlike pieces of jewellery that can be handed on to relatives, would passing these bears on get the same reaction from the recipients I wonder, seeing as how they do cost a lot of money.

Just asking.

I had a few Steiff Bears which I got rid of to a charity shop. I did try to explain they were expensive but do not think the volunteer took that onboard so they probably went for about £1!

I imagine it must be difficult to keep coming up with enough different variations of animals and expressions to satisfy QVC shows. Selling to shops who stock half a dozen each is much easier but less lucrative.

As with most things these day it seems the bigger the demand the lower the quality without the price being lowered as well.

I suppose when people start in a small way they are satisfied with small profits (in fact relieved it's not loss making) but as the company gets bigger it takes a lot more profit to run and satisfy it, so they is only one way to go, cut quality or raise prices. Unfortunately with most companies it is not an either or - they go for both and then suddenly wonder why they are not the darlings of the market any more.

They were definitely good quality 3 or more years ago, and reasonably priced. It's been noticeable that as the company have expanded and moved into other countries, the quality has gone down - or, at least, it's gone down for the UK market ones. And the prices have shot up for a lower quality product.

The prices have definitely gone up, I bought a 12" bear for my son, lovely quality for £22 a couple of years ago. They aren't as attractive or well made now, I don't think. They started off with a good idea, more affordable prices for attractive bears in plush rather than expensive mohair, but they've gone the way of lots of successful businesses, pushing to boundaries to get as much profit as possible.
Their mohair bears are extortionate. You can get a much better made, more appealing mohair bear from Steiff, Herman, Deans plus a few others. There's no such thing as a cheap mohair bear, even the cheapest , short pile, sparse mohair is £50+ per metre these days & the thicker better quality ones are well over £100 a metre., some over £200. You only get two 16" bears from a metre allowing for pile direction.

Just seen them for sale with EP Well you`ll need it when they are on sale for £150 - £193 .... what category do they fall into ..are they an investment because at that price they certainly aren`t toys!!

. . . . To my mind talking to them in funny voices isn't a whole lot different to dressing up pets and treating them like small children

Perhaps it's me.

One of my dogs wears 12 month old children's pyjamas when we're at home. She's a Westie and has terrible skin problems as so many Westies do. She's lost the fur on all four legs and I have to rub cream into the bare skin twice a day. If I don't cover her legs she licks all the cream off, and the best solution was to put her in kids' pjs with long sleeves and full length trousers to cover all four legs so she can't lick them. I don't embarrass her by taking her out in public in her pjs though :mysmilie_1:

My mum has a couple which sit on the sofa in the front room which isn't used very often. They are cute but she has had them a few years now and they are good quality. My son bought one for his dance teacher who had the same name and I liked one called Zak. he had a humped back and was a proper bear IYKWIM. I regret not getting him, he would look cute on the bed but I haven't been tempted to buy any others.

I do have a fab kid goat from Harrods, he is really gorgeous but spooks the hell out of the cat!

These bears are being leashed again soon. From day one I've never been a fan and actually find watching with presenters stroking and tweaking their heads, paws very off putting!

I generally like soft toys but something about these are just not right. Don't get me started on the big guy who sells them. They seem to have a good fan base, why?

Does anyone else feel the same? :mysmilie_43:
I have said the same as you time and time again - it's a huge mystery to me, when there are so many really good, well made British bear manufacturers around - they obviously don't need the QVC outlet to sell, but I've never got the attraction of why this couple seem to be selling so many of their bears, but they're raking in the money that's for sure - just not from me.

My daughter loved these up until she was about 13 so we have several. They are lovely and full of character. Don't think I'll be buying any more now though.
Husband, who is generally quite tolerant of my QVC viewing habit caught the last Charlie bear show any made a comment about silly people going on about expensive soft toys. Most unlike him to be critical, but do agree with him!

One of my dogs wears 12 month old children's pyjamas when we're at home. She's a Westie and has terrible skin problems as so many Westies do. She's lost the fur on all four legs and I have to rub cream into the bare skin twice a day. If I don't cover her legs she licks all the cream off, and the best solution was to put her in kids' pjs with long sleeves and full length trousers to cover all four legs so she can't lick them. I don't embarrass her by taking her out in public in her pjs though :mysmilie_1:

Scout.
Have you tried Neem oil on your Westie? This site tells you about it but I buy it from Amazon.
http://www.myitchydog.co.uk/ekoneem...-sore-spots-dry-scaly-patches-itchy-skin.html

Or Thornit?
I swear by Thornit for one of my little Yorkies paws & ears. He's plagued with allergies & was forever nibbling at his paws & scratching his ears till I started to rub Thornit powder into them, now the hair has all grown back.
http://www.thornitearpowder.com
It isn't just for ears, it helps all skin irritation. I buy it from here
https://www.viovet.co.uk/Thornit_Canker_Ear_Powder/c13949/?gclid=COjTsf2Vs8wCFWMq0wodsiIPRg

Some of these bears are downright creepy but what`s even more creepy is the way people talk about them as if they`re real and post photos of their bears watching Tv or going on holiday or something equally weird. Q`s facebook page is littered with such posts every time there`s a CB programme and people post something along the lines of "here`s my bear family and Mr Pickles would like to wave and say Hi to Charlie ". C`monnnnnnn what`s all that about fgs ? I bet the presenters feel right numpties when they`ve done a CB show and spent an hour sticking their hand up a bear`s backside, pretending to make them wave at the viewers and speaking about the bears in silly voices.
It`s like playgroup for adults !

Scout.
Have you tried Neem oil on your Westie? This site tells you about it but I buy it from Amazon.
http://www.myitchydog.co.uk/ekoneem...-sore-spots-dry-scaly-patches-itchy-skin.html

Or

Could I just mention whilst on the subject ...MIL has stopped keep washing her doggy as she realised that this made the skin problems worse and made hotspots more irritable ....she just gets her groomed every two months and gives a good brush every day...of course if she gets filthy then a bath but ....washing really is something that has made the westies skin so much worse and now things are clearing up and she is not chewing as much either ....also the vet said half a piriiton hay fever tablet which really helped ....doggy has a couple of warts that are calming down because they are not being dried out as far as we can see ....worth a go .....brushing her everyday does the trick and her groomer said she is still nice and soft after the last grooming ....it's been trial and error really but fingers crossed the bath just every two months is helping so much . She is 11 now ....good luck with your doggies ans any heads up on products always helps so thank you for that too .

sharonk, if you liked a particular bear, have you tried looking on Ebay or doing a search for retailers who might have a Zak Charlie Bear in stock? I agree about liking the traditional bears - these were the ones I bought for bear fans, too. Hate the garish-coloured ones, really ugly IMO.

My mum has a couple which sit on the sofa in the front room which isn't used very often. They are cute but she has had them a few years now and they are good quality. My son bought one for his dance teacher who had the same name and I liked one called Zak. he had a humped back and was a proper bear IYKWIM. I regret not getting him, he would look cute on the bed but I haven't been tempted to buy any others.

I do have a fab kid goat from Harrods, he is really gorgeous but spooks the hell out of the cat!

Scout.

Or Thornit?
I swear by Thornit for one of my little Yorkies paws & ears. He's plagued with allergies & was forever nibbling at his paws & scratching his ears till I started to rub Thornit powder into them, now the hair has all grown back.
http://www.thornitearpowder.com
It isn't just for ears, it helps all skin irritation. I buy it from here
https://www.viovet.co.uk/Thornit_Canker_Ear_Powder/c13949/?gclid=COjTsf2Vs8wCFWMq0wodsiIPRg

Thank you very much for this Breeze. I haven't tried either of these so am going to look at both today. We've tried all the prescription meds and they make her vomit profusely and have little or no effect on her skin, so we took her off them. Have tried various alternative remedies to no avail, but I'm always prepared to try something else. Have just started using a propolis, beeswax and honey balm. Too early to say if it helps yet, but if it doesn't then it will be good to have the neem oil and Thornit in reserve ( or in addition). As well as all four legs she has one bare bum cheek and a bare chest, so she looks a bit of a sight but we still love her to bits. The good thing is that the vet says most dogs with this get very grumpy and miserable, but our little girl is a very happy little dog and never stops wagging her tail, despite being bald. I'd love to find something to help her though, so your suggestions are gratefully received.

. . . . . Could I just mention whilst on the subject ...MIL has stopped keep washing her doggy as she realised that this made the skin problems worse and made hotspots more irritable ....

Thank you May, it's always good to hear other people's experiences. Bathing in special shampoo is the first thing that all the vets recommend, but not only is it a real pain because you have to do it twice a week, but it also didn't do any good and our doggy used to get really cheesed off. We have also found that an antihistamine helps, but the doggy dermatologist said that she's the worst case he's ever seen, so we haven't been able to find anything which actually clears up the problem. The big problem is that her "hot spot" is her whole body. Literally every inch of the skin on her body is red hot to the touch, there isn't anywhere which is normal skin temperature even though her body temperature is normal. Antibiotics and skin scrapings show there is no infection of the skin and anti-inflammatories don't reduce the skin's temperature. She's nearly 10 now and has been like this since she was two - and stlll the tail keeps wagging!

Poor little girl, I hope it helps. I know how miserable skin irritations can make them.
One of my Skyes had really itchy red dandruff. Tried everything from the vet but trial & error found it was a food problem, switched her over & it cleared with a bit of extra skin care as well. Oatmeal shampoo is good, very gentle. Don't use Neem Oil neat, it's too strong. Just add a drop to dilute shampoo if you bath her or put some in a cheap spray bottle diluted with water & spray it on.
Thornit is easier. I just tip a little bit in the bottle lid, dab my fingers in it & massage it into his fur where he's itching. Works really well. I also give him Piriton if he's bad, he's very allergic to pollens.

May, surely the groomer baths your MIL's little one when she goes for grooming?
I don't use a groomer, do it myself. I bath my lot, fortnightly for the Yorkies, every three months for the Skyes,& brush them every day.
I showed for years so got used to lots of grooming!!

I think there might currently be one new one on eBay at present.

We did every allergy test going in the early years and everything came back negative. Have tried every diet under the sun to no avail. I bathe her every three months and I can't remember if I've ever used oatmeal shampoo but will try next time. I think everybody's come to the conclusion over the years that we're never going to stop this, the best we can hope to do is to relieve it and reduce it in some way. And as I said before at least it she doesn't get distressed by it and is generally a very happy little dog. It would be awful if she was miserable and there was nothing we could do to help her. We saw a new vet recently who said "I can't believe she's so happy!".

Hi Scout
I hope you don`t mind me contacting you but I read about your Westie`s skin I know as a breed they are prone/sensitive to skin problems I don`t know what you have tried to alleviate/cure it but I do know that a lot of dogs have been helped and eventually cured by liquidising spinach and giving it to their dog
Start off with a teaspoonful and increase as your dog get used to it. The dog may not like it initially. Depends what food is being fed, if it is extruded kibble then that could be the reason tor the itchy skin. Try Forthglade Natural Pet Food Menu. Laughing Dog grain free chicken or duck contains no nasties like the extruded kibbles do ,as it is oven baked. if it won`t take it on its food then you will have to give it either by syringe or spoon straight into the mouth. I can`t remember how long it said it takes to see some result but I should think between a week and two weeks..I know in the article some were very surprised with how it helped when nothing from the vet had helped As its all natural it won`t interfer with any medication or do any harm but certainly worth a try.

Hi Scout
I hope you don`t mind me contacting you but I read about your Westie`s skin I know as a breed they are prone/sensitive to skin problems I don`t know what you have tried to alleviate/cure it but I do know that a lot of dogs have been helped and eventually cured by liquidising spinach and giving it to their dog

Well we've tried almost everything over the years, but I have to say I've never heard about liquidised spinach. I love spinach so you never know she might like it too! I'll get some spinach and give it a try, presumably it should be raw? The food allergy tests are all negative. She's very good with food and will eat just about anything, she can't have dry food though because she's prone to bladder stones and having had an emergency op to clear a blocked bladder last year (£1,300 thank you very much), the advice is to steer clear of kibble of any kind. Many thanks for this tip MAD, I appreciate it.

yes it is liquidised raw spinach ..I hope it helps ..I think skin problems rank about the worst to cure in dogs

Latest posts

Back