Centigrade

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

C

Capirossi

Guest Shopper
I am eyeing up two possible coats!! Help! Are they ok as a brand? One is under a tenner in last clicks and the other is the faux sherling with fur collar that's on 4 easy pay. I have no idea what size to order. The cheaper one has had loads of reviews saying it's tight. I wasn't going to bother anymore but I am struggling to find a coat I like. I'm only 5'2" and most coats swamp me. In fact, the sherling one will probably make me look like the sugar plum fairy!! Hmmm....do they generally come recommended by you lot with impeccable taste and high standards?! :p

From mobile, please excuse any silly errors!! :)

Only ever tried one once....yep, the usual, once was enough! Mind you, it was a TSV, I should've known better! Dunno what came over me!

Anyway, what I (particularly that is, I didn't like any of it!) didn't like:

Sleeves ridiculously long. (Admittedly I'm only 5 foot & a teeny bit but even so......sleeves might've been the right length for a gorilla.....several reviews also state this, even from those who are not the size of a hobbit, so check this!)

Incredibly stiff & cheap feeling material, (It was a faux sheepskin/shearling type thing though.)

Seams very rough & prominant. (Think being dragged through a hawthorn hedge for comparison!)

Vile, itchy lining, really cheap & nasty. (Which also shed more fluff than a scared sh*tless hairy dawg in a vet's waitng room!

I think that's it. I sent it back. Never again. Maybe some are OK though. :down:

I had a long faux shearling one with a hood about 6 yrs ago when it was a tsv. It had a hood and I had it in black and the teal one too. Had many compliments whenever I wore them and they were good quality for the money - think they were about £40 each. Tried a couple of other styles in subsequent years but the quality seemed to be very poor and the fit had all gone to pot. Wouldn't buy one again.

I've bought two Centigrade coats. One was a mac to be fair. That was blumming awful. It was a swing mac and reversible. Bonkers idea. It looked odd either way about. I "thought" it was going to be a soft flowy fabric. It was stiff as a board, shiny and noisy. It went back.

The other was/is a faux shearling fur lined jacket. It's really great. Simple and casual in a dark brown. The sleeves are quite long but I just turn up the cuffs and it's fine. It's a bit bulky to drive in but that's my only real criticism. I've had it for a couple of winters. It was about £40.

No problems with itchy seams or fluff.

I have a Centrigrade puffa-style jacket in a pewter shade. Its warm and comfy by the zip is flimsy. I suppose its cost-cutting, but it really need a more heavy duty zip. This will be it's third winter now. It washes up well, and I tumble dry it on low to regain the puffiness. Its not bad at all, but I wouldn't buy another due to the poor zip. I had a faux shearling long coat a few years ago which I like, but sold at a car boot sale after losing 5 stone. I wish I hadn't as much of that 5 stone has gone back on ;-(

Hmm, mixed feelings! Do the shearling ones come up small? I will probably not do it up as I want it for casual with jeans and boots. According to the sizing to accommodate my bust I need a small. But that's not allowing for a jumper underneath. Mind you, I don't wear thick jumpers, I tend to layer with thin tops. I'm tempted to go for the xs as even though I am positively wench-like in the nork region, I am small everywhere else :rolleyes: This is why things swamp me!! Small sold out in winter white so either xs with the danger of not being able to do it up or m with the possibility of it looking like my mother's coat, ha ha!! At £5.95 postage I am too tight to try them both. I thought if you were buying the same colour you got half price postage on the 2nd? Or is it because they're different sizes? What a rip off!!

They gotta be the same colour and the same size to qualify for the half price p&p on the second one, as you say, rip off, who the hell orders two identical in every way items of clothing.....?

I decided not to try again as, the one I bought was truly horrible, compounded by the fact that the quality etc. seemed to vary so much from item to item, as borne out by the reviews, so pot luck if you get a decent item or a naff rubbishy one.....? :taphead:

Don't forget shearling has no stretch so you need to buy larger than your actual measurements for to fit, let alone do up. The problem will be more across the shoulders than the boobs if there's no give in the material.

It's a bit of a bugger trying to work out what size to buy. Can you measure a coat or jacket you like the fit of to see what that measures??

They gotta be the same colour and the same size to qualify for the half price p&p on the second one, as you say, rip off, who the hell orders two identical in every way items of clothing.....?
I decided not to try again as, the one I bought was truly horrible, compounded by the fact that the quality etc. seemed to vary so much from item to item, as borne out by the reviews, so pot luck if you get a decent item or a naff rubbishy one.....? :taphead:

That is absolutely ridiculous!! They definitely make up for the MBG in their postage don't they?

I think I will give it a go, but only as it's on easy pay. I just need to decide on a size now. Argh! I'll probably end up returning it :confused:

Don't forget shearling has no stretch so you need to buy larger than your actual measurements for to fit, let alone do up. The problem will be more across the shoulders than the boobs if there's no give in the material.

It's a bit of a bugger trying to work out what size to buy. Can you measure a coat or jacket you like the fit of to see what that measures??

Good point Tink - thanks! I have never had shearling so I (stupidly) didn't realise it wouldn't stretch! You're right actually, I may not be able to use my arms in the xs, haha!! Am going to measure my existing winter coat now and see what that comes up as. Thanks for the advice :nod:

I think a lot of the centigrade coats in the hour just shown all looked on the very small side with short arms.

I had a couple back the brand was new on QVC,one purple shearling that I still wear...but I wouldn't bother again.For me,a coat is something I have to feel and try on...QVC's P&P (and return) is too high for me to take that chance.

If you go down a size it might be too tight across the back and armholes.

I have just measured my current winter coat and it's 18.5 inches from underarm to underarm, so 37 inches. That still makes the XS the 'proper' size, but now knowing that they have no stretch I think I had better try the medium! Small would have been ideal probably. I may even be sneaky and order one on hubby's account, hehe! Even so, I begudge the postage, even if he pays for one.

You then have to dice with death in the hope the ****** coat measures what they say!! Mind you if it's fur lined that could influence what size to buy. I'm thinking go up not down but what do I know!

My grandma was a seamstress and she always used to say you needed 5 inches more on a coat. But that's five inches more than you not five inches more than a coat that fits lol.

You then have to dice with death in the hope the ****** coat measures what they say!! Mind you if it's fur lined that could influence what size to buy. I'm thinking go up not down but what do I know!

My grandma was a seamstress and she always used to say you needed 5 inches more on a coat. But that's five inches more than you not five inches more than a coat that fits lol.

Yep, I found that - I even did the buttons up properly to try & get it to their measurements but it remained a stubborn 2 inches less than stated, which is no small amount really!
I had also allowed, as Tinks says, a good 5 inches of room but it was still too tight across the shoulders & I'm a petite fitting virtually everywhere!
(They sent me a returns label when I complained about this, so should that prove a similar thing if/when you get yours, I would ask for the same Capirossi!)

Thanks girls. I bit the bullet and ordered both. From one extreme to the other or what?! Hubby was fed up of my sighing and indecisiveness so said to put one on his account - just to satisfy my curiosity!!

I went real life shopping Saturday and hated every minute of it. I decided that postage charges are worth every penny if it saves me from people!! However, I forgot about Q's extortionate charges and, of course, never knowing what size you need!

Still, I have to grin and bear it, or go and do it for real :( !

I will keep you posted! Oh and I intend to measure and if they're fibbing I will ask for a label, thanks KWC ;)

Well good luck Capirossi, I hope at least one of them (preferably both! lol) turns out to be delightful & a perfect fit!
Some of the items must be OK, of course they must, or they wouldn't still be selling in such quantities, it's just irritating that it seems to be one of those brands where it can be a little difficult to easily sort the wheat from the chaff at first glance, or from general reviews of previous items!

I have a down filled shortish jacket and 2 shearlings and love them all. I take size small and Im a size 12 and find the fit really good. I have the shearling from last yars TSV that is now on 4 easy pay and have no problems with it. They are all warm and well made. The sleeves may be a bit long if you are a shorter person than me but on the shearlings you can turn back the cuffs to how you like them.

Latest posts

Back