Casual &co omg!!!

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Wornoutcreditcard

Registered Shopper
Just saw a bit of this show at my neighbours house. She is in her 70's and even she thinks the clothes are badly dated and old fashioned she kept saying things like " I wore a dress like that in the heat wave of 1976"

QVC take note the " fashions " you are peddling are awful not even OAPs are going to wear them.

I'm expecting to get shot down by other forum members for saying this but there you go, that's democracy.:mysmilie_50:

Cor... Ageist or what?

So awful even OAPs wouldn't wear them?

Have you ever heard of the 'grey pound'? OAPs have just as much 'taste' and buying power as teens... Why use OAPs as a benchmark for acceptability?

I referred to OAPs because it seems that they are fast becoming QVC's target audience and to counter the possible criticism that I am always criticising qvc which Is true of late. My neighbour has great taste and watches QVC for the entertainment value, she was quite a fashionista when she was younger and says she wouldn't be seen in her coffin in the dross QVC sell.
I like that she has her strong opinions and respects that other peoples views differ radically and doesn't see another point of view as a personal attack. Something that is often sadly lacking.

I once ordered a C&Co sundress and there was about 6 inches difference in the length back and front. I think people are enticed by the low prices but the cut etc is awful.

I don't think OAPs are the demographic QVC is aiming at.

... and I get a bit fed up with the stereotyping that goes on here sometimes.

You buy a lulu bag and you must have more money than sense, you buy clothing and you must have bad taste, you keep your kipling monkey and you must be a nutter... So much for respecting other peoples' views!

Items come back into fashion, the neighbour should dig her original clothes out and she can be a fashion leader.

Personally I dont agree with the generalisation that all QVC fashion is bad, you have to pick and choose like any other shop.
I have had some nice things over the years from QVC in fact. I went to the dreaded high street last week and saw absolutely nothing I wanted to spend my money on in either debenhams, M&S or Fenwick! Lets face it, one persons "wow, thats lovely" is another persons "what a load of tatt"! My trip to the high street was the latter unfortunately last week, but another time I may see something that takes my eye, its the same with QVC - its just another department store after all.

I don't think OAPs are the demographic QVC is aiming at.

... and I get a bit fed up with the stereotyping that goes on here sometimes.

You buy a lulu bag and you must have more money than sense, you buy clothing and you must have bad taste, you keep your kipling monkey and you must be a nutter... So much for respecting other peoples' views!

Absolutely agree, and with Reflexgirl, I buy quite a bit fashion from QVC I pick and choose across the ranges the items I like, I'm in my early 40's so not an OAP and most people think I'm late 20's so I think in generally most people don't view all Q fashion as for OAP's. I get more people loving my Q fashion and wanting to buy the items then any other clothes I have and that includes many designer classic style clothes. I get so many comments like 'god you look good have you lost weight, I love that top, dress whatever it may be and it's because of people viewing it as old fashioned and sub standard that makes it difficult to say I got it from Q, if I do they always say I didn't realise they sold clothes as good as this. My seamstress, who makes beautiful clothes, loves pretty much everything I take her to alter and she always remarks on the great material and the normally good quality, so I really don't get the constant bashing on Q's fashion, some I think is awful and dodgy quality but you can hardly say that of ranges such as Fenn Wright and Manson!

Q is just another department store. There are Kim & Co items I own that I think are fabulous. However on Kim's last couple of visits there was nothing in the range I liked. There are Yong Kim clothes that are hideous, and yet my favourite tunic that I have worn and worn is a Yong Kim. TI have things from the high street too, but as I hate shopping most if my high street items are from Gloucester Quays when me and mum make a day of it. When I go shopping on the high street there are many things that I think are hideous, poor quality and over-priced. Just like some Q fashion items are. It matters not from where you buy your clothes, so long as you like them, they fit you, they suit you and you can afford to buy them. Styles change, culture changes, fashions change. Thankfully this is a free country, and we can wear what we like.

Yes it is a free country and I enjoy the freedom to think that latelyQVC is aimed at a much older audience, which in itself is not a problem ,given that I'm mid 40's, and not getting any younger. The problem is that they are constantly going on about setting or following fashion trends ( where?) I think this can be a turn off for some people like myself who don't agree with the consensus or know how clothes are made and what they cost. I'm not picking a fight with anyone who likes it but I don't think it's fair to gang up on someone who's views are against the grain of the majority view on a forum. Wear what you like by all means, but I still think most QVC clothes, on the whole, look like over priced, mass produced tat.

If people keep buying, they'll keep offering it.

Just because you don't like it, doesn't make it wrong... The same applies to any of us... It's just a matter of personal taste.

My objection was mainly to the stereotyping of OAPs' tastes.

Yes it is a free country and I enjoy the freedom to think that latelyQVC is aimed at a much older audience, which in itself is not a problem ,given that I'm mid 40's, and not getting any younger. The problem is that they are constantly going on about setting or following fashion trends ( where?) I think this can be a turn off for some people like myself who don't agree with the consensus or know how clothes are made and what they cost. I'm not picking a fight with anyone who likes it but I don't think it's fair to gang up on someone who's views are against the grain of the majority view on a forum. Wear what you like by all means, but I still think most QVC clothes, on the whole, look like over priced, mass produced tat.

Not ganging up on anyone, just a lively discussion I thought, which is nice!
Which designers in particular are you aluding to? Ronen chen, Yong Kim, Fenn Wright Mason I dont think are aimed particulary at the over 70's. Alot of fashion in the high street chain stores is mass produced tat, lets face it!

Well, I'm in my 60s and like to be reasonably fashionable, but haven't bought anything off QVC for ages now, as much as I want to! Because it's gone terrible, I think they're trying so hard to be different from the High St that they've gone OTT!

The main culprits in my view are, dare I mention the awfully garish Kim&Co, unflattering Diane gillman sweat shirts, etc in fact much of what has been on lately looks poorly made with mismatched patterns on the seams ie; palazzo trousers by ingenue London, uneven or puckered hemlines ( Ronen Chen last week), cheap, transparent fabric (Yong Kim), plain ugly, over embellished Quacker factory. The exception seems to be Biba which looks very different and well made, but I don't think anything would fit me so I won't be ordering to check it out.

The main culprits in my view are, dare I mention the awfully garish Kim&Co, unflattering Diane gillman sweat shirts, etc in fact much of what has been on lately looks poorly made with mismatched patterns on the seams ie; palazzo trousers by ingenue London, uneven or puckered hemlines ( Ronen Chen last week), cheap, transparent fabric (Yong Kim), plain ugly, over embellished Quacker factory. The exception seems to be Biba which looks very different and well made, but I don't think anything would fit me so I won't be ordering to check it out.

It just shows how different we all are, which is good, I agree with you about Kim & Co, Diane Gilman and Quackery, I first thought the same about the Ingenue palazzo trousers, something I personally would never wear but then I realised that if the pattern matched they would look very wrong and make the wearers legs look huge so although I'm far from an fashion design expert think that is on purpose. As for Biba, I'm sorry but I felt it was only fit for the dustbin!

Last edited:
My mother's in her nineties and wouldn't be seen dead in anything QVC sells, not because they're old-fashioned but because they're not HER style which is plain jumpers, blouses and cardis and below-the-knee skirts, never trousers. She perms her hair regularly, uses skincare and generally looks twenty years younger, but her fashion stays where it is.

I (an OAP) wasn't upset at wornoutcreditcard's opening post. I think there are people on here who are just too quick to take umbrage at whatever - why? It's a free forum so expect differing opinions. If I think some fashion item is gross, I'll say so. If I think something is a waste of money for what it is, I'll say so. If I choose to spend a helluva lot more money on something else, I'll say so. If I think old people should all wear purple, I'll say so. I'm entitled to do all of the above. I'm also entitled to make generalisations so if I think all internet users are sad, boring people with too much time on their hands, I'll say that, too. I couldn't back it up, but I'd say it if I felt it. I'm on an internet forum!

Now wait for nuclear fallout ....

Just because someone makes a comment you don't have to 'own' it and take it on. Being a member of several forums, I know that some people take another's opinion as a personal attack instead of accepting, and respecting it. for what it is, that is, another person's view. I have found that there isn't much I like on QVC these days and even M&S with whom I have shopped for years seem to have lost the plot because there is hardly anything that I fancy buying there either. I am in my late 60s and overweight with a big tummy so hardly anything fashionable looks well on me and maybe that is why some OAPs are not 'fashionable', I look hideous in leggings, jeggings and jeans and I can forget all about oh so slim and form fitting dresses too ........ I have to say that no matter how fashionable I would like to be I have realised that some things just do NOT look right on me at the age I am.

i'm in my late thirties and am not often tempted with Q's fashion, but i have ordered a few artscapes tops and some dresses from ronni nicole, trinny and susannah and another brand which was quite expensive, but i bought it for a wedding and i do like diane gilman jeans.

as much as i agree most of what Q sell in terms of clothing is out dated (nina lenard, kim and co etc...), at least its different to things you can buy in the high street... how often have you gone to a party etc and seen the same top (often from next) on at least 2 different people?

Q will never be able to please everyone.

I dont much like fashion in general at the moment either on high street or QVC - doesnt matter how old we are we like to look good and imo there are some b awful patterns out there that I cant imagine anyone, no matter what your age, wanting to wear! I used to go into M&S (we're talking 20 years ago here) and find something I thought pretty, nicely cut etc but now its all cheap thin cotton stuff which is a poor cut and unflattering or some hideous polyester patterned dress. Apart from knickers, I havent bought anything in there for ages now. I agree about some of the kim and co stuff generally, I find it clingy. Having said that I did buy a nice A line sleeveless top last year which I love. I have some select Yong Kim which are fantastic quality (modal) and look beautiful on. Quacker dream jeans are really comfortable and a good fit for me. I bought one sleeveless dress from Ronnie Nichol, it sits in the wardrobe - too short really and not suitable material for warm weather! The nicest summer dress I have is A line and cut on the bias and is Linen - and I got that from Spain! ha ha My trousers come from Landsend which I find to be superb quality cotton (fromUSA).
Buying Clothes? - its a jungle out there!

Latest posts

Back