Calico Cottage Fudge TSV 25/08/14

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Hate to be the dissenting voice but it's actually quite disgusting, and has no place calling itself a 'fudge - it's an American company (surprise surprise) which franchises its products all over the place. It's sickly sweet, with a curiously homogenous, slightly slimy texture. Taste-wise, it has absolutely none of what you want in a good-quality fudge, rich, freshly butter-and-cream with a rich, but not over-the-top sweetness. It's the very epitome of mass-produced, synthetic, factory-made confectionery - the 'calico cottage' is just slick and predictably marketing. I wouldn't serve it to an animal, let alone a guest. It's pretty damn easy to make your own fudge with a few basic ingredients, and the results are far, FAR superior to this tat - and at a fraction of the price too. If you really can't be bothered to make your own, then the best mass-produced one is from The Toffee Shop in Penrith, Cumbria. Quite delicious. And you're supporting a British business, rather than pouring money into yet another giant American Inc.
The Lake District, my neck of the woods.

fydge is a treat its not a replacement for a balanced meal. its quite nice imo and i do make my own fudge. cant wait to try the new flavours

The Fudge Kitchen, the best IMHO.

There's one not too far from me and I might just treat myself next time I go in - haven't had any for AGES :up:

Goodness me! Who knew fudge could be so divisive?
For what it's worth, I think Calico is a good fudge in the American style. It is not the grainy fudge you often get in this country. Which I also like. And nothing like Scottish tablet either. Which I like very much too. There's room for lots of different types of fudge in the world, thank goodness.
That being said it is a sweet, but I don't think anyone was really thinking of replacing an entire meal with fudge, were they? And a little piece now and again isn't likely to harm anyone. And breathe.

I don't have a sweet tooth, so don't eat any confectionary. Mum does, and she loves Thorntons. But I know in places like Keswick and Ambleside, there are small, old fashioned sweet shops, which make and sell the traditional delicacies.

Bit off topic but The Gingerbread shop in Grasmere Ambleside is to die for,I have such happy memories there.
Lynn :mysmilie_48:

Goodness me! Who knew fudge could be so divisive?
For what it's worth, I think Calico is a good fudge in the American style. It is not the grainy fudge you often get in this country. Which I also like. And nothing like Scottish tablet either. Which I like very much too. There's room for lots of different types of fudge in the world, thank goodness.
That being said it is a sweet, but I don't think anyone was really thinking of replacing an entire meal with fudge, were they? And a little piece now and again isn't likely to harm anyone. And breathe.

exactly i love all fudge...i do look out for smaller companies that make it also.. all very different all very nice. making good fudge is a skill though and the calico kits are fine

The best fudge I've ever had was from a stall at the Manchester Christmas Markets and I think that originated in The Lakes.

Calico Fudge

I ordered it on the 25th and its still in `process` .. is anyone else experiencing the same ?

well it does say on the item page

Direct despatch: please allow 10 - 14 working days for delivery.
UK delivery only, including Northern Ireland.

direct dispatches always take longer to update on Q's system than any other item

Ordered mine in the morning, watched most of the calico shows during the day (sad I know) , it was hours later that Charlie mentioned that it would be 10 -14 working days for delivery. Good job that I didn't find out sooner or I wouldn't have bothered. Looking forward to trying it when it finally gets here though.
Have to say that I think qvc where more than a little sneaky in not mentioning it in the earlier shows.

very sneaky they do it with the richard jackson stuff. the postage costs and the delivery times are beyond me

I didn`t hear that about the longer delivery time or wouldn`t have ordered it.. having it sent to a friend at the other end of the country :( for her youngest daughter !! oh well she`ll enjoy making it with her little girl when it eventually arrives!

Stop your fence sitting please Crafty, tell us what you really think.:mysmilie_59:
Hate to be the dissenting voice but it's actually quite disgusting, and has no place calling itself a 'fudge - it's an American company (surprise surprise) which franchises its products all over the place. It's sickly sweet, with a curiously homogenous, slightly slimy texture. Taste-wise, it has absolutely none of what you want in a good-quality fudge, rich, freshly butter-and-cream with a rich, but not over-the-top sweetness. It's the very epitome of mass-produced, synthetic, factory-made confectionery - the 'calico cottage' is just slick and predictably marketing. I wouldn't serve it to an animal, let alone a guest. It's pretty damn easy to make your own fudge with a few basic ingredients, and the results are far, FAR superior to this tat - and at a fraction of the price too. If you really can't be bothered to make your own, then the best mass-produced one is from The Toffee Shop in Penrith, Cumbria. Quite delicious. And you're supporting a British business, rather than pouring money into yet another giant American Inc.

Latest posts

Back