Buying perfume from QVC.......I just don't get it!

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

OOPS, sorry it is Princes Square :doh:

I have said before blind buying can be a nightmare. Even if the notes sound likes other perfumes you like you skin chemistry can change things big time. I laugh in department stores where they spray a card and expect you to buy it on the spot. You might love the top notes which last 10-20 minutes and hate the dry down. Or even the other way round. Its better to get a sample and wear it all day.

I remember when the Library only cost around £6!!!!! When I bought Penhaligons they used to be around £35 for 50mls. I made a very bad mistake with Castile which they mentioned in the show. Day trip to Glasgow bought it, then got home and the neroli nearly killed me. My skin blasts neroli like a bomb, so it got stronger and stronger and stronger and nearly choked me. I had to give it away.

As for the prices, to be honest Niche brands can quite easily be £100+ for edt and 50mls.

Penhaligons I own:

Night Scented Stock, gorgeous and does smell like the flower. But they discontinued and relaunched at over £100!!! Mine was the £35 version.

Violetta old fashion Parma Violets

LPNo9 Men soft oriental

Cornubia florienal big loud think the 80s powder house.

Hammam Bouquet rose otta and jasmine, if you have ever smelt REN Rose Bath oil it smells like that. This was is really old 1890s one of Penhaligon's first, its based on the smell of Turkish Baths.

Penhaligon's leather goods are lovely. I have a few bits and pieces bought at the outlet store at Bicester. I have a beautiful blush pink small vanity case that I keep my sewing kit in. Poshest sewing kit ever! :eek:)

Penhaligon's leather goods are lovely. I have a few bits and pieces bought at the outlet store at Bicester. I have a beautiful blush pink small vanity case that I keep my sewing kit in. Poshest sewing kit ever! :eek:)

Yes I agree. As I said earlier in the thread, I have a leather makeup bag over 10 years!!!! So soft and still looks really really good.

I don't think I paid £16 for my library tin the version I have includes (M=male, F= Female) :

Blenheim Bouquet (M)
Endymion (M)
Quercus (M)
Douro (M)
Opus 1870 (M)
Artemisia (F)
Lily of the Valley (F)
Bluebell(F)
Malabah (F)
Lily & Spice (F) I think this is discontinued?

Jude xx

I have returned every single perfume I have ever bought from QVC, bar one-L'Occitane Ambre- (which I had sniffed in a shop first).

I think I have finally learnt my lesson!

I have bought one scent off Amazon following a reccommendation from Flamenco- and I am glad I did. My other perfumes I know of old as I have sniffed or purchased from department stores over the last 25 years.

So glad you like it!!

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

Weathergirl and Flamenco - NosyMe wants to know what perfume was it? There was a thread awhile ago about Tiare/gardenia/frangiapane? and I didn't write the name down. Was that You? EnlightenMe please. lol

Weathergirl and Flamenco - NosyMe wants to know what perfume was it? There was a thread awhile ago about Tiare/gardenia/frangiapane? and I didn't write the name down. Was that You? EnlightenMe please. lol

Of course Snarly! Flamenco reccommended a perfume called Tiare, I think by Hei Poa(sp- the bottle is upstairs). Its reminiscent of a bottle my mum had when I was young and the closest to the Elemis frangipani monoi I have managed to find so far. It is nice and light, great for summer and so far the only one I have tried that does not make me smell like a coconut macaroon!

WeatherGirl/Flamenco - ThankYou, eversomuch - entered it on my mobile. Have some TiareOil for the hair and will try this scent now. ThankYouKindly (((hugs)))

I tried the Lyn Harris perfumes in M&S at the weekend and bought the Fleur one http://www.marksandspencer.com/Lyn-Harris-Fleur-Parfum-50ml/dp/B003ZX1OVI
Unlike any other perfume I've tried - I'd say exotic floral, quite heady - personally I'd only wear it in the evenings - but thought it was lovely. It smells like a "Tocca Tiare" scented candle I was given. What I hadn't appreciated until seeing it in store, this Lyn Harris at M&S range is BUAV approved and carries the leaping bunny logo (I know M&S toiletries/makeup are BUAV approved but didn't know this Lyn Harris was an M&S brand)

I tried two of the Lyn Harris perfumes at the weekend and didn't like either one. I tried La Rose and Le Noir. Disappointed as I thought I might like La Rose. Oddly I thought they smelt very similar. And quite synthetic. Neither was unpleasant.

I tried two of the Lyn Harris perfumes at the weekend and didn't like either one. I tried La Rose and Le Noir. Disappointed as I thought I might like La Rose. Oddly I thought they smelt very similar. And quite synthetic. Neither was unpleasant.

I tried La Rose and La Poudree and wasn't that taken with either of them; picked up La Fleur to try, instantly loved it

Ah perhaps I should have persisted! Mind you I'm not supposed to be buying perfume anyway so it may not have bee. A bad thing.

No, she is not a Marks and Spencer brand. They approached her to do a special cheaper(well compared to her own brand Miller Harris) range for them. I am quite interested in them, but since non of my local branches have them, wouldn't chance buying blind. I have her Fleur Oriental but none of others grabbed me, from the Miller Harris range.

Sometimes they turn up in TKMaxx. I have seen her candles and some fragrances.

No, she is not a Marks and Spencer brand. They approached her to do a special cheaper(well compared to her own brand Miller Harris) range for them. I am quite interested in them, but since non of my local branches have them, wouldn't chance buying blind. I have her Fleur Oriental but none of others grabbed me, from the Miller Harris range.

Sometimes they turn up in TKMaxx. I have seen her candles and some fragrances.

Thanks Donna, I meant it's a "produced for" M&S brand. M&S now have a "beauty emporium" on their website with lots of beauty ranges and it's not easy to identify which ones are M&S brands (and therefore BUAV approved). They carry ranges like Leighton Denny, which I know is not an M&S brand, they're simplying flogging it for him. Whereas Forumula skincare is an M&S brand and carries the leaping bunny logo.

I'd find it helpful if M&S made their website clearer so I know which ranges are produced under the M&S banner so BUAV approved - like Lyn Harris. I had heard of Lyn Harris and thought it was nothing to do with M&S, but seeing it in store I realised that although not an M&S own brand it has been produced for M&S and has the bunny logo on the box.

I do like some of M&S own brand perfumes, Autograph New York being one, the scent just doesn't last long on my skin. Whereas this Lyn Harris for M&S one lingered all day.:happy:

Latest posts

Back