Brands we’ve lost that America still has

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I chose the snowdrop earrings SB. Her birthday was in February and the snowdrops in their garden were still in bloom and she`s a keen gardener, also a keen cook but they didn`t have earrings shaped as a sausage or a T bone lol. She works as a Doctor in a hospital so always wears simple stud earrings for work but likes dangly ones for other times. I`ll get her the matching pendant for Christmas.
These look beautiful they actually look and hang like a real snowdrop!

I used to love, and still have some pieces by Temp-tations (not jewellery its kitchenware !), and the American website is full of the stuff ! Why we don't get it here is a mystery - like a lot of other useful 'stuff'.
Lovely pieces & the trivets were so useful. There's a couple of nice sets on eBay - pricey!

I chose the snowdrop earrings SB. Her birthday was in February and the snowdrops in their garden were still in bloom and she`s a keen gardener, also a keen cook but they didn`t have earrings shaped as a sausage or a T bone lol. She works as a Doctor in a hospital so always wears simple stud earrings for work but likes dangly ones for other times. I`ll get her the matching pendant for Christmas.
What a thoughtful gift. Nice MIL!!

What a thoughtful gift. Nice MIL!!
I try lol. My oldest son`s wife doesn`t have pierced ears and because she works in a nursery she doesn`t wear jewellery which the toddlers can grab or which could scratch them when she`s playing with them so jewellery isn`t something I`d buy for her.
The earrings were for my middle son`s partner. She`s worked like a trojan this past year because of the pandemic so I wanted to get her something to keep. She likes jewellery but nothing too fancy or ornate.
My youngest son`s partner isn`t a jewellery fan either and wears the same studs and the same watch 24/7, doesn`t wear bracelets or pendants.
I have quite a lot of jewellery so when I leave this mortal coil I think most of my stuff will go to my grand daughters, the oldest loves bling and even at 14 she loves her earrings, pendants etc but all of her stuff is either silver or base metal so as she gets older and is able to appreciate things more, I`ll start handing the odd gold item of mine over to her on birthdays and Christmas.

I know my dad still uses his Jo Manago Roly Kits, think I’ve spelt her name right. My mum still has Suzi B jewellery. most was bought from me for Mothers Days and Birthdays. I remember when a Home Electronics TSV could be a CD Car kit.

Im a guy but would always watch Nina Leonard, just for Lenny, as he was so over the top.

If I remember 9/11 stopped a lot of the American guests from wanting to come over, and of course now Covid hasnt helped

I try lol. My oldest son`s wife doesn`t have pierced ears and because she works in a nursery she doesn`t wear jewellery which the toddlers can grab or which could scratch them when she`s playing with them so jewellery isn`t something I`d buy for her.
The earrings were for my middle son`s partner. She`s worked like a trojan this past year because of the pandemic so I wanted to get her something to keep. She likes jewellery but nothing too fancy or ornate.
My youngest son`s partner isn`t a jewellery fan either and wears the same studs and the same watch 24/7, doesn`t wear bracelets or pendants.
I have quite a lot of jewellery so when I leave this mortal coil I think most of my stuff will go to my grand daughters, the oldest loves bling and even at 14 she loves her earrings, pendants etc but all of her stuff is either silver or base metal so as she gets older and is able to appreciate things more, I`ll start handing the odd gold item of mine over to her on birthdays and Christmas.
You're a lovely person. I also have a fair amount of jewellery, the good stuff came from my grandfather who was a jeweller. We have two daughters & three granddaughters, it may be four later this year, & I'd like to pass on all these family items. However, our older girl & her husband don't 'do' second hand & we've been told they don't want to receive anything from us so her sister will have it, keep what she likes & sell the rest, giving the money to my animal charities.

My OH's sister died in Australia (where she lived) and wanted OH to have all her jewellery. Most was costume jewellery, but there was also a diamond ring that was valued at over £2000 MANY years ago, so worth a lot more now.

The ring mysteriously went missing.

All the rest was sent to OH, but Parcelforce wouldn't deliver it to her until they had a description and valuation of everything, which no-one could provide. So after months of negotiations with Parcelforce, who promised they would keep until they were satisfied, they sent it all back!

You're a lovely person. I also have a fair amount of jewellery, the good stuff came from my grandfather who was a jeweller. We have two daughters & three granddaughters, it may be four later this year, & I'd like to pass on all these family items. However, our older girl & her husband don't 'do' second hand & we've been told they don't want to receive anything from us so her sister will have it, keep what she likes & sell the rest, giving the money to my animal charities.
At best, this sounds curmudgeonly. Won't say the 'at worst'.

Perhaps when curmudgeon is older she'll appreciate them?

My OH's sister died in Australia (where she lived) and wanted OH to have all her jewellery. Most was costume jewellery, but there was also a diamond ring that was valued at over £2000 MANY years ago, so worth a lot more now.

All the rest was sent to OH, but Parcelforce wouldn't deliver it to her until they had a description and valuation of everything, which no-one could provide. So after months of negotiations with Parcelforce, who promised they would keep until they were satisfied, they sent it all back!
My family member deals in probate - things 'go missing' an awful lot. I hate "Tomb Raiders".

At best, this sounds curmudgeonly. Won't say the 'at worst'.

Perhaps when curmudgeon is older she'll appreciate them?
Sadly that won't happen. From having a wonderful relationship, not best friends but excellent mother & daughter love, support & fun, we're almost estranged. The last WhatsApp video we did was on Christmas Day, she's hasn't ever asked how I've been through all the months of my Mr T's ongoing eye surgeries & doesn't bother with her sister or aunt. There have been several occasions over the last 7 years when she's ignored me for even longer periods. The worst thing she & her husband did was when he had a meeting in Birmingham & came here on his way home, he took all the baby things we were storing for them & even the ones we'd bought, so he was either given her key or the combination to our key box. Opening the front door & seeing the post in a pile on the hall table was weird; after going through all the possibilities it was awful to realise what had happened & walking into our spare room knowing he'd been in there was nauseating.

My Mum had a saying which was "there`s nowt so queer as folk !" and sometimes I think close family members can be the queerest of the lot. My Mr V`s daughter hasn`t spoken to him for 4 years, didn`t invite him to her wedding (her 2nd marriage) and Mr V`s crime was still being on talking terms with her ex first husband. She threw her first hubby out because she was having an affair with her boss who is now her 2nd husband. Her first hubby did nothing wrong, he was oblivious to what was going on and Mr V worked with him for several years so had a close relationship with him especially as he wasn`t just a colleague but also a son in law. Nope Mr V`s selfish, self centred, dictatorial and arrogant daughter said her Dad was betraying her by talking to her ex and so now cuts her Dad dead, doesn`t ring or call, doesnt send cards for birthday or Christmas and has generally bad mouthed her dad which backfired on her when her cousins, Aunts and Uncles all declined her wedding invitations because her dad hadn`t been invited. The one single relative who did go to the wedding said his daughter ran off crying when the photographer said "right lets take a photo with the bride`s family and she literally had just one person there. Serves her right.

My Great Aunt lived overseas and we only found out she had died a little while later. She lived in a Christian Village and her whole house was basically stripped bare by the time my aunt had a chance to go and try and sort it. Unfortunately some of Great Aunt's rings were missing (wedding and engagement) and she had explicitly said they were to go to family. Very Christian of them, not. . . . .

There is NOTHING so queer as folks and families. I didn't invite my mum to my wedding but she came anyway and I haven't seen or spoken to my brother for 30 years. Why? I don't even know.

CC

Sadly that won't happen. From having a wonderful relationship, not best friends but excellent mother & daughter love, support & fun, we're almost estranged. The last WhatsApp video we did was on Christmas Day, she's hasn't ever asked how I've been through all the months of my Mr T's ongoing eye surgeries & doesn't bother with her sister or aunt. There have been several occasions over the last 7 years when she's ignored me for even longer periods. The worst thing she & her husband did was when he had a meeting in Birmingham & came here on his way home, he took all the baby things we were storing for them & even the ones we'd bought, so he was either given her key or the combination to our key box. Opening the front door & seeing the post in a pile on the hall table was weird; after going through all the possibilities it was awful to realise what had happened & walking into our spare room knowing he'd been in there was nauseating.
Whaaaaat? I'm confused. So you were away from home & your daughter pimped out your home to her husband without even asking you first????? Neither was she there with him - he just helped himself? And took the baby stuff too? Do I have this right?? Surely not?
Did he make his bed?

Even though I had a key for emergencies I never used it once I left home. Even later when my parents weren’t well if the door wasn’t locked I rang the bell opened the door and yelled it was me.
I had an emergency key, but never visited when they weren't there. Why would I, I'm going to see them ,not avail air BnB. Never took key with me either.

Whaaaaat? I'm confused. So you were away from home & your daughter pimped out your home to her husband without even asking you first????? Neither was she there with him - he just helped himself? And took the baby stuff too? Do I have this right?? Surely not?
Did he make his bed?
This happened a couple of months before their first baby was born & we had all their baby stuff. My Mr T & I were at work, son in law had been in Birmingham for a meeting & on his way home he came to our home, let himself in, & took all the baby items. We've never asked whether he used her old key or if she'd told him the number for the key box, all I know is that I was devastated. This followed on from weeks of silent treatment because I couldn't help them decorate as we'd planned; their house move was arranged for the half term break but was delayed & the fact that I couldn't take a holiday during term time didn't occur to them. The one positive was that Sox, who was a teenager kitten, didn't go out the front door & get lost or hurt on the road.

I had an emergency key, but never visited when they weren't there. Why would I, I'm going to see them ,not avail air BnB. Never took key with me either.
My parents, sister & I have always had keys to our each other's homes, for emergencies, cat sitting, taking ill children home from school scenarios. We all lived within a mile of each other so it was also very handy if we got locked out. We never let ourselves in when the others were at home, that would have been rude.

Latest posts

Back