Brand stigma

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

heroicos

Registered Shopper
Hey guys,

As you can see, I am a complete noob when it comes to this forum :hi:. I am, however, not a noob when it comes to tele-shopping. For many years now, I have been asking myself the same question but haven't really found anyone to discuss it with:

Do people think less of a brand if they see it on a channel such as QVC?

Your thoughts and debate interests me very much. Thanks guys.

Interesting. I mean, I know that Molton Brown, for example, opted out of QVC due to them thinking that it was giving the brands a bad name.

Of course, it goes without saying that the likes of bid TV could easily destroy the brand image of a quality company

Thanks for the welcome. I guess the other thing I have thought about quite a bit is how I can often find products being sold cheaper online when compared to the channels for identical products.

Kind of takes QVCs edge away surely?

Do you work for a big brand company or are you interested for some other reason. I don't really care one way or the other I just buy from the place that offers the best value for money and it is not usually a shopping channel.

When you join 'The Drop' as a VIP you will be able to access the ' cheaper than shopping of the telly' section. Look at the top of the forum for info about how to become a VIP.

I don't think people think less of a brand because it is on QVC at all. There are so many big, premium brands on QVC that if anything, QVC is thought of more highly for those rather than the brands being thought less of for being on QVC.

Not sure you would say the same of Bid TV, as you say!

Well Im not a brand or price snob,if something from the pound shop works thats fine by me. Thanks to QVC I have found the best brand of make up IMO being Laura Geller and Ive tried the lot from constance Carroll to chanel. Also introduced me to Kipling and Birkis and LE.

Slightly diverting here but some of the people I work with think its hilarious that I sometimes (admittedly not as much anymore as beauty is so much cheaper on beauty sites) buy from QVC

They find it even funnier that there is actually a forum for it (knobs):tongue:

I think there is still a stigma about shopping tv out there, don't watch the bidding type channels but it may be justified there, can't say as haven't seen them. I mean amongst people who haven't or don't watch QVC. But I think even those people have a stronger perception of a brand itself than they do of QVC, eg. people aren't going to change their mind about Sony or Apple or Bobbi Brown because it is on QVC, if anything it would alter their perception of the channel. But if it is a brand they didn't really know, that was introduced by someone mentioning they'd seen it on QVC, that might lower their estimation of it initially. Again, talking about those who don't watch the channels happening to hear that a brand is featured. I guess that anyone who does watch quickly realises that it is a total mixed bag of brands/quality, some better than other, so you can't tell that much about a brand by the fact it is on qvc.

I can see why you're asking me that, but the answer is no i do not work for a big brand. am just interested in peoples oppinions and stuff. i wish there was more consumable stuff on QVC though like biscuits and things- i guess they don't go for a high enough price though

Cor blimey Bauble, that was a blast from the past... Constance Carol, they use to sell that in the market us show off teenage girls used to go and lunchtime and buy Lippy and nail polish, much to the teachers frustration I will add:mysmilie_12:

I'm not sure you're asking the right people - surely you should be asking the ones that don't shop via TV channels whether there's brand stigma :)

Cor blimey Bauble, that was a blast from the past... Constance Carol, they use to sell that in the market us show off teenage girls used to go and lunchtime and buy Lippy and nail polish, much to the teachers frustration I will add:mysmilie_12:

Yes I seem to remember the lipstick being very much like a wax crayon

I don't....but i think people who don't know about or use QVC think that its cheapened the brand somehow.

I still think that TV shopping channels have a bit of a stigma about them and they're thought about just how they were portrayed in the original Brigitte Jones film.

hahaha Sharon ,yes we would buy frosted pink lippy and black kohl pencils from the market and put it on on the school bus.

I guess it's a shame as we'd have so many more brands to choose from- not that we don't already have a lot!

I think it's a fine line. No problem with the big brands as such but then as soon as they produce an item just for qvc there's an outcry and a general feeling that it has to be inferior to the usual quality. Is it? Who knows. It's particularly odd when it's a beauty product I think. If it's so great then why not release it to the stores?

Well Im not a brand or price snob,if something from the pound shop works thats fine by me. Thanks to QVC I have found the best brand of make up IMO being Laura Geller and Ive tried the lot from constance Carroll to chanel. Also introduced me to Kipling and Birkis and LE.

lol..has Constance Carroll disappeared altogether now, can't remember when I last saw it, but it was at the time one of the few brands that did a clear mascara, which saved me getting black rings under my eyes!

Also the first place I saw Kipling bags, and of course my favourite, silver Eek..I don't think there's any kind of stigma personally.

Latest posts

Back