Black Friday UK

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Thankfully we didn't have anything like that here, but the incidents you all describe are more like animal behaviour. Biting???? The woman has a problem.

We bought dressing gowns half price from BHS, (£17.50 each, marked at £35) so some good bargains to be had out there.

Saw someone today buy 6 hampers in BHS 'reduced' to £35 from £70. I bought 2 in Costco six weeks ago with far more in them for £35 - so its all a psychological game on the part of the retailers.

john lewis were selling old tv's that they would usually sell in the january sales. gap were one of the better stores reducing all full price clothing 50%.

What happend to the days of taking your sleeping bag and queing up for a three piece suite lol ?.....(and we were happy lol)

a) you'd be lucky to even FIND a 3 piece suite nowadays
b) its now 'interesting' to see who EXACTLY rush through the doors when they open, compared to 20 odd years ago
c) even the mayhem at the old Harrods crockery sale which used to be shown in black and white on the tele, was a tea party compared to yesterday's animal like behaviour
d) todays 'British' couldn't give a stuff about manners or orderly queues - sadly the Britain of a more genteel age has gone for good

I despair, but glad in the knowledge I've had the best of times in this country, and wont be around to see it degenerate even further.

Saw someone today buy 6 hampers in BHS 'reduced' to £35 from £70. I bought 2 in Costco six weeks ago with far more in them for £35 - so its all a psychological game on the part of the retailers.

They were piled high in the entrance to our local BHS. You'd have to be out of your mind to pay £35 for them, let alone £70, but there were some good offers in store if you were lucky.

At times like yesterday it brings it home to me how easy it is nowadays to orchestrate a riot when you see how the savages were herded together via social media.

I stayed away from the shops as I do most if the time as I loathe shopping. I prefer online shopping, again didn't bother on Friday. I decide what I want to give friends and family long before black friday and keep it in a box under the bed. I spend less that way. I do a list in my notebook.

I do like QVC TSV's though. At least I can send them back if they are crap. Scuse French.

Someone on another forum I visited praised ASDA in Scotland(sorry forget which city), they let people in a small number at a time. The people in the queue were calm and chatting laughing with each other. Seems everyone came away with a great bargain and very happy.

That's a good point from Donna.

I think its important to remember that the media displayed the images of the minority of places where people acted poorly. As the BBC quietly added to the end of their reports after they'd milked the footage of carnage - most shops had no problems at all and people were civilised.

The media manipulates us just as much as the retailers. Please don't judge society on the smaller percentage.

Last edited:
That's a good point from Donna.

I think its important to remember that the media displayed the images of the minority of places where people acted poorly. As the BBC quietly added to the end of their reports after they'd milked the footage of carnage - most shops had no problems at all and people were civilised.

The media manipulates us just as much as the retailers. Please don't judge society on the smaller percentage.

My thoughts on the media as well. They like a story. Anyway whats new. Before it was the Boxing day sales when there was trouble.
Some people will always fight over what they perceive to be scarce resources.

I received my Daisy by Yardley this morning, nice smell but very faint. I'm pleased that I can wear it but would not pay more for it than what I did which was £6.50

Latest posts

Back