Bethlehem Lights Traditional Light Strand TSV 15/11/13

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I won't be using them for 6 months - probably a couple of months. Not sure how long I expect them to work especially if they are outdoors.

i expect them to last a few years as they cost a lot of money. 6 months is not enough for fairy lights that cost £25+ that must be a sale of goods act breech. fit for purpose, of merchantable quality etc 6 months i would ensure a refund asap

I expect (or should that be hope) that they will last a few years!!

I am still using sets from Woolworths that I bought in the late 90's!!

i expect them to last a few years as they cost a lot of money. 6 months is not enough for fairy lights that cost £25+ that must be a sale of goods act breech. fit for purpose, of merchantable quality etc 6 months i would ensure a refund asap

I meant a couple of months a year. So 3 years = 6 months sounds about right, would think 3 years about right.

My outdoor lights were still on this morning so the timer has failed. I think there was heavy rain overnight. I brought them in and sure enough water came out of the box. Dried them with a hairdryer but they still stay on even in the off position and they don't glisten or twinkle.
Returns label on its way! Disappointing as I really liked them.

My outdoor lights were still on this morning so the timer has failed. I think there was heavy rain overnight. I brought them in and sure enough water came out of the box. Dried them with a hairdryer but they still stay on even in the off position and they don't glisten or twinkle.
Returns label on its way! Disappointing as I really liked them.

i keep the box in a plastic bag but any sign of failure back they go

My outdoor lights were still on this morning so the timer has failed. I think there was heavy rain overnight.

I bought 2 sets and really liked them, but after 6 days one of the sets has gone the same way as iloveshopping's. A bit of rain and the timer has stopped working. Unfortunately these lights are not fit for purpose which is a real shame

My lights are now stuck on constant after that heavy rain the other night too. Took the batteries out, but they still stay on constant no matter what setting I put then on.

Extremely disappointed, they should be able to withstand rain if they are outdoor lights! Email has been sent to Q asking for a returns label as they are faulty. I won't rush to be sending them back though, the rate QVC are going it won't be til the New Year that I get the returns label anyway, so at least I'll be able to enjoy them over Christmas...albeit constantly switched on!! Well, it's QVC's batteries they're wasting! :mysmilie_17:

Last edited:
luckily mine are still going strong after a couple of months on the same batteries. seems like there are quality issues

I hate to sound smug but my £10 next ones are still going strong on their original batteries.
It's so disappointing when things don't do what they should. My bethlehem wreath works great this year though. . Really pleased with that.

I have som m&s ones third xmas this year. they are about 1.5m long and AA battery operated. cost £5 each. they have tiny red xmas trees that are the lights and are beautiful for wreaths and small topiary etc. I use mine outside even though they are not water proof. a few days ago I bought some for £2.50 which are just the pin head white ones. I don't like ott dec at xmas but my granddaughter does. so we have silver tinsel on the bannisters wrapped round with the white lights wrapped in to. the sober looking mahogany mirror in the hall looks garish lol with a dressing of silver tinsel and white lights

I bought 2 sets and really liked them, but after 6 days one of the sets has gone the same way as iloveshopping's. A bit of rain and the timer has stopped working. Unfortunately these lights are not fit for purpose which is a real shame

Just an update... the timer on the 2nd set I bought has now also stopped working. QVC/Bethlehem should not have claimed that these lights were suitable for outside use when obviously they aren't.

Just an update... the timer on the 2nd set I bought has now also stopped working. QVC/Bethlehem should not have claimed that these lights were suitable for outside use when obviously they aren't.

Sorry to hear your 2nd set has packed in.

It's quite astounding that lights that are supposedly designed to be used outside cannot survive rain. Mine now won't switch on at all, after being stuck on constant for a few days. So disappointing that they aren't twinkling away over the 2 actual christmassy days of the year.

Still waiting for a reply to my email asking for a returns label.

Mine are out side around a holly tree they have been out in pouring rain, and still working fine, I have put the controls in a plastic though, so maybe that has helped, but I have been very pleased with them, Ive also got a wreath and that too has worked perfectly

mine are fine been on for around 6 weeks at least on timer. bad that there are so many in a bad batch

Well, mine have packed up now as well. Thought the batteries had gone, so replaced them as they weren't coming on. With new batteries, they were just on constantly, wouldn't do the glisten or twinkle, also wouldn't go off on the timer. Took them off the tree outside and brought them in. A couple of hours later they just went ballistic!! Doing a super duper flashing that was migraine inducing! So took batteries out and rang QVC today and they are sending me a returns label. Absolutely gutted. When they worked properly they looked lovely.

Mine have been drying in the airing cupboard for 3 weeks and now work OK again but will try them on timer again tonight I would like to keep them and am thinking of wrapping them in a plastic bag. Has anyone had a set working successfully apart from Boffy over the Xmas period?

I didn't get this TSV but all my outdoor Bethlehem lights, I put the battery box in a clear poly sandwich bag for additional protection from the elements. Touch wood, they have been ok, including the hanging basket and the privet tree that have been in daily use for over 12 months now.

Has anyone ever bought battery lights from www.lights4fun.co.uk?
Reviews are very good (but who knows if they're only publishing the good ones)
They have some beautiful festoon lights that I really fancy, but after the Bethlehem Lights giving up after one rain shower I'm wondering whether it's reflective of all outdoor battery powered lights?

(If I do buy outdoor battery lights again I'll definitely use the 'put the battery box in a sandwich bag' trick, thanks for the tip)

Latest posts

Back