Best One Yet... Working for free!

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I worked on a community project once and one family had a child with ADHD. They were helped to get a diagnosis and to claim any appropriate benefits. The mum kind of wore it like a badge and told all the other mums. All of a sudden there was an explosion of families with children with ADHD, so much so that they formed their own group. What I found interesting when sending out the leaflets to the families was that a large proportion of them lived in the same street.

CC

:mysmilie_10::mysmilie_15:

:mysmilie_10::mysmilie_15:

Medicalising had behaviour? Is so, it means those who genuinely are struggling with a medical condition and their families risk being viewed with disbelief and cynicism instead of getting any support from those around them.

Medicalising had behaviour? Is so, it means those who genuinely are struggling with a medical condition and their families risk being viewed with disbelief and cynicism instead of getting any support from those around them.

I risk giving away my identity here but my friend is doing this with her child. She's had countless visits to doctors in an effort to get a diagnosis for what looks like (to me, an untrained person - but also to every doctor she's seen) bad behaviour. She scours the internet for conditions to fit the behaviour despite us (all her friends) telling her that she seems to be wasting everyone's time.

I could be wrong but autism runs quite strongly in my family. The older kids never had a diagnosis as it wasn't so much out there, but now with family history and a few assessments the kids in my family who have it in any form get a fairly quick diagnosis.

If there's a medical condition called "never-been-told-no" I think her child has it. Along with many other children I see these days. It does make it a lot harder for genuine people to get a diagnosis or even support from family and friends that think it's just bad behaviour.

Call me an old cynic, but the original child did have a problem then when the mum told everyone, all of a sudden naughty kids was a medical condition. At the risk of being controversial, a medical condition that brought financial reward :mysmilie_11:

CC

We had a couple of children at school whom the parents said were unmanageable and a total nightmare at home. They were convinced that they had ADHD or similar.

How odd then that within week of being pupils at our school, they were behaving well and causing no bother because the school gave them structure and definitive guidelines that they weren't getting at home.

I agree that when parents jump onto the "my child has ADHD" (when they haven't) then those children who are autistic or who genuinely do have ADHD almost get forgotten.

We had a couple of children at school whom the parents said were unmanageable and a total nightmare at home. They were convinced that they had ADHD or similar.

How odd then that within week of being pupils at our school, they were behaving well and causing no bother because the school gave them structure and definitive guidelines that they weren't getting at home.

I agree that when parents jump onto the "my child has ADHD" (when they haven't) then those children who are autistic or who genuinely do have ADHD almost get forgotten.

This really is so shocking but unsurprising. Makes me very sad that we can no longer trust anyone to be honest.:mysmilie_476:

Every family I've ever worked with who had a child with moderate to severe SN would have done anything to have that child without his/her issues. There are some SN that don't make a real difference once they are understood & strategies agree, my nephew had the dubious title of being the most dyslexic child in the authority, he now runs his own business. Those who are not completely honest should spend time with a couple I know who are the parents of a boy on ASD spectrum whose rages end with him pulling off his colostomy bag & throwing it at the nearest person.

My own son, now aged 19 was a SEN child, it took me years to get his school to help him and they always labelled him 'restless', he wasn't overly naughty just didn't like to be told off for things he didn't do, he hates injustice still now. Eventually at the age of 13 in a different wonderful school, they finally realised something was needed and he got fully tested and is on the autistic spectrum, with small ADHD tendencies. I was so tempted to go to his junior school headmistress and say, stick that in your pipe and smoke it as it were and it breaks my heart that they failed him so much. It also gave many in my larger family circle a realisation that there is autistic tendancies in many, reaching as far as grandparents etc. My own hubby also being told he was probably autistic too. But as my sons psychiatrist said, you don't grow out of it, you learn to adapt, as my hubby and son have done and they have had to re learn how things are done differently, which is sad really. My son is now at uni doing computer science and still struggles but he does the best he can.

Still some people in our life don't know this about him and I have never claimed benefits and hate it when people make light of this kind of thing and don't understand.

Latest posts

Back