Beauty Day, Have you bought anything?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Well today I am wearing Serge Lutens Encens et Lavande. Yesterday it was Vol de Nuit by Guerlain mine is from 1991. Last perfume I bought Andrea Maack Smart which was a great bargain red label £15 in TKMaxx, next one Frederic Malle Tes Dans Bras which is on sale.

Afraid I’m boringly old school when it comes to perfume my favourites, worn for years, are Lanvin Arpege, Chanel No5 & Guerlain’s Vol de Nuit & Apres L’Ondee. I’ve yet to find a newer one that I really like. They discontinued one I used to love, Ecusson by Jean D’Albret

Don’t know if it was beauty day, it’s a bank holiday one, but I’ve bought the Bareminerals 4 Piece Barepro Powder Foundation Collection. Thought it was good value at £29:28 & I’ve been waiting for the compact to come in a TSV, which this is very like.

we have similar tastes Aperge by Lanvin has been a staple of mine for decades and of course channel n0.5 they are Aldehydyc scents (sp) trying to find something to love it looks like its going to cost me lol

I have Guerlain L’Heure Blue which I like & small bottles of Shalimar & Mitsouko which I’m not so keen on. I prefer the aldehyde type rather than heavy orientals.
I used to spend( waste) loads of time squirting testers to find something I liked among newer scents but to no avail. Don’t know what it is but they all seem to have a cheap fruity/air freshener smell to me.

I once had a perfume back in the day, Venezia, which I bought in the duty free. Gorgeous bottle and lovely scent but I accidently left it in a pub toilet and of course when I nipped back to get it 10 mins later it was gone. Never ever saw it being sold again.

CC

I once had a perfume back in the day, Venezia, which I bought in the duty free. Gorgeous bottle and lovely scent but I accidently left it in a pub toilet and of course when I nipped back to get it 10 mins later it was gone. Never ever saw it being sold again.

CC

I think that is for sale on Fragrance Direct website for £19.99 if it's the same one? maybe worth a look.

Thanks so much for that, I'll go and look!! It must have been the 80's when I had that perfume - got it on a coach holiday to Italy. Don't do that, it's a long way lol.

CC

Last edited:
Thanks so much for that, I'll go and look!! It must have been the 80's when I had that perfume - got it on a coach holiday to Italy. Don't do that, it's a long way lol.

CC

I did that in the 90's with my bestie. We were very naughty in Italy.

I have Guerlain L’Heure Blue which I like & small bottles of Shalimar & Mitsouko which I’m not so keen on. I prefer the aldehyde type rather than heavy orientals.
I used to spend( waste) loads of time squirting testers to find something I liked among newer scents but to no avail. Don’t know what it is but they all seem to have a cheap fruity/air freshener smell to me.

The only Guerlain I can think of with aldehydes is Liu. Mitsouko is known as the Queen of Chypres and for many is very hard to wear. I found this out years ago on a perfume forum, so many said they just could not wear it, I love it and Shalimar. Nahama was my just do not go there from Guerlain, I bought back in the 80s and wore. A friend used to tell me it was very heavy but I wore it anyway. Then some years later tried it again from a tester and realized she was right it did not suit me at all.

My big shock was No5, I remember buying it in parfum and just hated it so avoided it like the plague for years. Then earlier this year I bought a bottle of Annick Goutal on eBay the seller was in Dublin and it was a great price. With it as a freebie she sent a half 50mls size of No5 EDT, my first thought was giving it away. Then decided to actually just try it. WOW! It is lovely all powdery and aldehydes, so I should have tried that version all along. Seems No5 is different in every version and not just a weaker version. I kept it.

The only Guerlain I can think of with aldehydes is Liu. Mitsouko is known as the Queen of Chypres and for many is very hard to wear. I found this out years ago on a perfume forum, so many said they just could not wear it, I love it and Shalimar. Nahama was my just do not go there from Guerlain, I bought back in the 80s and wore. A friend used to tell me it was very heavy but I wore it anyway. Then some years later tried it again from a tester and realized she was right it did not suit me at all.

My big shock was No5, I remember buying it in parfum and just hated it so avoided it like the plague for years. Then earlier this year I bought a bottle of Annick Goutal on eBay the seller was in Dublin and it was a great price. With it as a freebie she sent a half 50mls size of No5 EDT, my first thought was giving it away. Then decided to actually just try it. WOW! It is lovely all powdery and aldehydes, so I should have tried that version all along. Seems No5 is different in every version and not just a weaker version. I kept it.

no.5 is a classic Aldehydes and a real must have. you just can't beat it and the silage is good. I think it time to go back to my roots. the Shay and blue is winging its way back to QVC use the money to get something I really love!

I really like Chanel no 5 in the EDP strength. My late husband used to buy me Chanel no 19, i hated it but he loved it and i never had the heart to tell him because he was always so chuffed when he bought me a bottle. I`m a sucker for Quelques Fleurs by houbigant and have used it for years. The one perfume I wish they`d bring back is Charles Of The Ritz original. I loved that but its discontinued and vintage ones sell for too much money.
My sister has worn the same perfume since her teens, Miss Dior original not the new fangled watered down versions.

No19 was another I just could not get on with. Love No22 I have EDT vintage and it could take down low flying aircraft it so powerful. Annick Goutal Heure Exquise is another aldehyde I really love.

Madonna has done 2 edp that are very very good. the white coffin bottle and the newer clear coffin with a gold perfume in it. I have to say those two have spoilt me...very good quality scents that smell very very high end and cheap as chips. if you want another scent thats very different Pharrell has a mad woody concoction which is wonderful. I have to be in the mood for it but its beautifully done

Madonna has done 2 edp that are very very good. the white coffin bottle and the newer clear coffin with a gold perfume in it. I have to say those two have spoilt me...very good quality scents that smell very very high end and cheap as chips. if you want another scent thats very different Pharrell has a mad woody concoction which is wonderful. I have to be in the mood for it but its beautifully done

oh yes I bought a few bottle of truth & dare a few years ago for about £5 each now the price is at least triple the price.

Have any long-time No5 lovers noticed that the EDP/T has changed over the years? It's nothing like I remembered or like the old bottles I have and spray very occasionally.

YSL perfumes give me dreadful headaches. I have an awful lot of perfumes got from Boots when they have been on offer using my points. At the present I have DKNY woman, Hermes Un Jardin Sur Le Nile,Cacherel Eden, and a Jimmy Choo plus another I cant remember,in my stash. This is in addition to the 6 I am using at present. The Jimmy Choo is a 50ml that was less than half price in Boots and the Hermes was from a perfume shop in Gibraltar, massive reduction against UK prices.

Have any long-time No5 lovers noticed that the EDP/T has changed over the years? It's nothing like I remembered or like the old bottles I have and spray very occasionally.

YES. I really thought it was me and that my taste must have changed, but my most recent refill just didn't have the same impact as previous ones...I'm relieved it's not me but also sad as No5 EDT was always my go-to perfume.

YES. I really thought it was me and that my taste must have changed, but my most recent refill just didn't have the same impact as previous ones...I'm relieved it's not me but also sad as No5 EDT was always my go-to perfume.

Relieved it's not me, too. I made the mistake of asking a woman at the counter. She said it hadn't changed but considering my bottles are older than her, she was bound to say that.

Latest posts

Back