Bamix TSV 05/05/2015

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Phew - looks like Jilly Halliday. No guzzling Charlie at the launch.
But he does have an hour later in the day

After watching many years of hype on IW with loads of demos over the years, I finally succumbed.

It is no better than any other blender in many ways, including the £10 ones.

Mine regularly makes a "very high-speed noise" when blending (it sounds much faster than normal) but the blade is not actually rotating, it is a bit like a slipping clutch in a car, loads of engine revs but no power.

Have any other owners had this problem?

I too bought one from IW, and naively tried to use it in a basin to whisk up the ingredients for a cake - the kitchen was covered in flour ! and all the butter clogged up the discs, then I tried to use it as a whisk, I didn't get that right either. So I gave the thing away. Having seen the demos, its used only in jug like containers or in a saucepan for making soup. Maybe I should have had one to one lessons in its use. I have since bought a Kitchen Aid which does everything.

Strato, Did you buy another Vitamix? I used mine 3 times yesterday. To grind coffee beans, to liquidise soup, to make carrot and raisin muffins. Muffins would have been easier in food mixer as getting the liquid mix out of jug was a pain even with Jarbuster spatula.

Strato, Did you buy another Vitamix? I used mine 3 times yesterday. To grind coffee beans, to liquidise soup, to make carrot and raisin muffins. Muffins would have been easier in food mixer as getting the liquid mix out of jug was a pain even with Jarbuster spatula.

Yes, I got the one without the dry jug.

I bought loads of 1/2 price strawberries from Lidl and froze them, so am making ice cream with them, or else smoothies.

A carrot is good as a sweetener in many smoothies, the strawberry can taste quite sharp otherwise.

I also make soups, but DON'T use the machine to heat it up, only for blending it. A saucepan is better as you can taste it for seasoning etc.

It could be improved a lot IMO eg a much better lid that locks on (like my Kenwood) instead of having to be a Hercules to put it on and off. Several times mine has not been fully on and leaked. If you watch the presentations, the "expert" puts all his weight on the lid flaps before he uses it.

But buying 2 cost me almost £18 pp

I know Presenters are proud of their children, but why do they have to keep going on about them, the Bamix presenter told Kathy he had heard her comments about them earlier in the hour.

Stratobuddy, I totally agree about the Bamix. OH bought me one (lovely thought) but tbh it's no better than a much cheaper one I already owned and still use more than the Bamix, which had sadly overrun its 30 day span. I didn't have the problems you had but my advice is don't waste your money.

I tried the Bamix last year when it was a TSV, but to be honest it was more trouble than it's worth. All the faffing to crush ice, when you just pop it in a Ninja and let that do the work, also everything I tried whisking kept ending up in the ceiling, so I sent it back, wasn't worth the hassle. But that was my experience other people might love it.

Glad I'm not the only one then, that has a kitchen looking like a leftover from Mr Pastry !!! after using the Bamix !

Yes, I got the one without the dry jug.

It could be improved a lot IMO eg a much better lid that locks on (like my Kenwood) instead of having to be a Hercules to put it on and off. Several times mine has not been fully on and leaked. If you watch the presentations, the "expert" puts all his weight on the lid flaps before he uses it."

I was given a replacement jug after it developed hairline cracks due to a problem with the drive shaft. The new lid is much more supple and the jug has a nice easy grip handle. I suspect that we get "specially made for QVC" Vitamix.

Thanks for the carrot tip!

I've still got my Bamix but haven't used it for 8 years!

I can remember the last time I used it as if it were yeaterday... it was like the aftermath of the chain saw massacre. I was chopping strawberries and accidentally raised the Bamix and globs of strawberry went all over the kitchen - I mean ALL OVER. They flew!

It took hours to get all of the bits cleared off the underside of cupboards and wall tiles and I was finding bits I'd missed for days afterwards.

This has reminded me that I might try to sell it on ebay - unless anyone wants to make me an offer :mysmilie_46:.

Finally a presenter actually pronouncing it Bamix!! Thankyou Claire. There is no Y in Bamix lol

i have one and i only use it to make caster sugar. i have used it twice to make butternut squash soup. i bake a lot but i have a kenwood chef that does a fab job mixing and kneading dough etc. waste of money tbh

I know Presenters are proud of their children, but why do they have to keep going on about them, the Bamix presenter told Kathy he had heard her comments about them earlier in the hour.
Kathy said she had bought the bamix for her daughter as a gift for qualifying as a doctor and a Kitchen aid for her son who is into food.

The Bamix guest himself pronounces it as if it has Y in it!

I know!! It drives me mad, It was on IW for many years and it was always Bamix , It then moves over to Q , they hike the prices up and add a Y to the name lol.

Latest posts

Back