Bad Taste, Ruth Langsford

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Grizelda

ShoppingTelly Supporter
Not her clothes ... they are too safe and middle of the road to be criticized. However, to tell us that one of her QVC fans sent her a gift and that she would soon be writing a thank you note is tasteless. Of course, Jackie piped up that she had also received a gift from this person. Just send the QVC fan a note, woman. Don't use air time to insinuate that gifts are welcome and the hind quarters kisser who sends one will be mentioned on TV and get an autographed letter.

Not her clothes ... they are too safe and middle of the road to be criticized. However, to tell us that one of her QVC fans sent her a gift and that she would soon be writing a thank you note is tasteless. Of course, Jackie piped up that she had also received a gift from this person. Just send the QVC fan a note, woman. Don't use air time to insinuate that gifts are welcome and the hind quarters kisser who sends one will be mentioned on TV and get an autographed letter.
I agree! And how long will it be until they're on air saying, thanks for all the gifts viewers are sending but we haven't got time to personally respond to each and every one of you? Either they'll gently ask people to stop, but more than likely will produce a standard thank you letter and request an SAE! It's the sort of thing they used to say to children writing into Blue Peter ,only these are fully grown adults. It makes me pretty sick to think that these people are sending gifts, to these already well off, "freebied" up to the eyeballs presenters when you see the ads for Crisis at Christmas on tv and for other charities for kids who have ****** nothing!

Thinking about it, it would be a lot better for the presenters themselves to actively encourage these idiots to send their gifts to charities instead, or for Q themselves to do something (other than virtue signalling) for charity at this time of the year. I don't mean events or dubious auctions - maybe to donate an amount to a homeless , or a children's charity with every purchase made over christmas..even a few pence would make a massive difference - but no, they'd rather their presenters stand there and put silly ideas into customers heads about sending them un-needed gifts - Pretty sickening really!

Here‘s what Dunelm are doing:

Good for Dunelm! and Q, what have you done for the pandemic? Actively encouraged people to get themselves tangled up in debt, and for charity recently? popped a rainbow badge onto the presenter's lapels!

Ostentatious women, & I get the impression that Mrs Holmes enjoys playing the role of Lady Bountiful. I don't think their words will encourage other viewers to do the same & those who send gifts & constantly communicate with their friends on the Q have probably always done it.

Good for Dunelm!
Practical help, and about giving not purchases.
I don't mind retailers publicising this stuff, as it is clearly made possible by shoppers...but they do seem to be offering both practical assistance and a way for their customers to get involved.
At a time when isolation and loneliness are having a huge impact on both the physical and mental health of tens of thousands across the UK and millions across the world, using your brand platform to include people in your work seems so simple yet powerful. I hope other retailers take note.

I agree! And how long will it be until they're on air saying, thanks for all the gifts viewers are sending but we haven't got time to personally respond to each and every one of you? Either they'll gently ask people to stop, but more than likely will produce a standard thank you letter and request an SAE! It's the sort of thing they used to say to children writing into Blue Peter ,only these are fully grown adults. It makes me pretty sick to think that these people are sending gifts, to these already well off, "freebied" up to the eyeballs presenters when you see the ads for Crisis at Christmas on tv and for other charities for kids who have ****** nothing!
Debbie Flint actually did this for Christmas cards a couple of years back, didn’t she?

Ostentatious women, & I get the impression that Mrs Holmes enjoys playing the role of Lady Bountiful. I don't think their words will encourage other viewers to do the same & those who send gifts & constantly communicate with their friends on the Q have probably always done it.
And the viewers who send gifts probably refer to Ruth as their 'friend'.

When the price of stamps started costing more than most Christmas cards I decided I`d stop sending them and donate something to charity instead. I contacted the people I would usually mail cards to and every one of them said they were 100% behind my decision.
For the last 4 or 5 years I`ve sent items from the Smalls For All charity wishlist on Amazon in lieu of what I would have spent on postage and cards and I know the items I send will be used to provide young African girls and boys with underwear or sanitary wear. Many children in African villages don`t even have underwear and many of the girls miss school when they have their periods because they don`t have suitable underwear or protection. They also provide similar help for young people here in the UK.
If presenters suspect people are going to send them gifts which they neither need nor want, then why don`t they suggest they have a charity which is close to their heart and ask people to donate to them instead ?

Watching a Nails Inc show yesterday I was shocked to hear one of the new presenters say when a an item sold that she wanted that it would be ok as the BA would "hook her up" with what she wanted not once but twice!!!!!! It could have just been a marketing ploy to make us think all these items are must have products?! It just made me think about parting with my hard earned cash and where I spend it! 😡

Latest posts

Back