Australian Bodycare TSV 03/08/15

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Thanks SCW, wow that's a lot of skinwash, what sort of price do you think it will be?

That`s an old tsv from last year jackanory. I think it might be the wrong video if you look at the date on it, it`s July 2014

Thanks Vienna, I thought the foot cream had been around for a while. I'm not sure I want 2 litres of skinwash, I would prefer 1 litre plus something new to try. The skin wipes are great, so I'd be happy for them to be in the TSV again.

I just had a look on ebay out of interest and some people are selling the eco refill of the skinwash for over £50 ........ absolutely bonkers!!!

Thanks Vienna, I thought the foot cream had been around for a while. I'm not sure I want 2 litres of skinwash, I would prefer 1 litre plus something new to try. The skin wipes are great, so I'd be happy for them to be in the TSV again.

Oh I`m the opposite. I don`t like the wipes, find they easily dry out and even when brand new they aren`t really wet enough, they kind of drag on the skin. I don`t mind 2 lots of bodywash because my youngest son loves it so I usually give him a litre. I like the oil, it comes in handy for all kinds of things and this time of year I use it on insect bites or nettle stings because I`m out over the moors with the dog.

Tea tree oil is toxic and shouldn't be ingested or used orally.

Oh, that's good to know. I had no idea it was toxic! A bit like DunmowDizzy, I too have used tea-tree oil on a mouth problem (an ulcer).

However, to put it in perspective, I found this:

The facts are, tea tree oil, like menthol, other essential oils, and many other substances, is graded on an LD 50 basis. This means, when tested on laboratory animals, the lethal dose needed to kill 50% of the animals is measured, and the results reported as LD50 at a certain number of grams or milligrams by weight.

Tea tree oil toxicity is equal to 1.9 g per kilogram, or about 1/5 teaspoon per pound of body weight. This is considered a lethal dose in 50% of persons or animals administered this dose.
For a 150 pound person, the LD 50 would be about 4.5 ounces of tea tree oil.

So I think we'll be OK. Phew!

The article then goes on to say that you should not use tea-tree oil on pets:

This is why, it is common for folks who are overzealous and uninformed or who have received bad information to poison their own pets, particularly small cats and dogs.
Tea tree oil is toxic to cats. An average cat weighs seven to 12 pounds, or between 3 and 5.44 kg. If toxicity were based solely on weight, all things being equal, somewhere around 1 to 2 teaspoons of tea tree oil would be lethal to 50% of cats given that dose.

http://www.teatreewonders.com/toxic.html

Thanks Tiddlywinks for alerting us to the possible dangers :mysmilie_59:

Tea tree oil is toxic and shouldn't be ingested or used orally.

It is true that some cases of poisoning have been reported. What is never quite clear in what I've read is how it was being used to result in poisoning. Used carefully - and properly diluted - it is likely to be safe for some users. All bottles of Tea Tree Oil include a warning not to use internally because some people may take it as a green light to drinking the whole bottle undiluted, so they are covered in the case of anyone poisoning themselves.

In general, it's sensible to patch-test before using it at all - even topically. It's very strong, so should be diluted. I use it diluted during cold and flu season as a gargle and a swab for nose and ears. But that's me - I know I can use Tea Trea oil without any adverse effects. I still wouldn't swallow it - any more than I would swallow any of the essential oils I use.

The below paragraph is quite helpful in summarising where research into Tea Tree oil is today: very little research has actually been done in relation to ingesting it for there to be unequivocal advice... in the absence of such advice, producers have no choice but to advise not to take it internally...

A review of the toxicity of Melaleuca alternifolia (tea tree) oil.
Hammer KA1, Carson CF, Riley TV, Nielsen JB.
Author information
Abstract

The essential oil of Melaleuca alternifolia, also known as tea tree or melaleuca oil, is widely available and has been investigated as an alternative antimicrobial, anti-inflammatory and anti-cancer agent. While these properties are increasingly well characterised, relatively limited data are available on the safety and toxicity of the oil. Anecdotal evidence from almost 80 years of use suggests that the topical use of the oil is relatively safe, and that adverse events are minor, self-limiting and occasional. Published data indicate that TTO is toxic if ingested in higher doses and can also cause skin irritation at higher concentrations. Allergic reactions to TTO occur in predisposed individuals and may be due to the various oxidation products that are formed by exposure of the oil to light and/or air. Adverse reactions may be minimised by avoiding ingestion, applying only diluted oil topically and using oil that has been stored correctly. Data from individual components suggest that TTO has the potential to be developmentally toxic if ingested at higher doses, however, TTO and its components are not genotoxic. The limited ecotoxicity data available indicate that TTO is toxic to some insect species but more studies are required.

Thanks, I will buy this, the only product I dont like is the deodarant, it doesn't work on me.

Think I will probably get this, if the price is right. I'm not keen on the wipes but would use them, and everything else is good for me.
The deodorant is not an antiperspirant, just a deodoriser, perhaps that's why people don't like it?

Who am I kidding, of course I'll be getting this (I think).
If I do (more than likely), if anyone wants the Deodorant, pm me your address and you're more than welcome to it.

The decision is one or two sets for me. My son has asked for a bottle of skin wash to take to Uni in September. I have one unopened already but the one in use is pretty low. I like the body lotion so pleased that is in again and would like to try the deodorant but wouldn't purchase it on it's own so glad to get in TSV. Glad there's no oil I have enough but had pretty much expected it would always be included.

I was hoping for an oil in this because I`m down to the last third of a bottle but hey ho we can`t have it all. I`ve never tried the deodorant, the body lotion is ok but I dislike the wipes. I`m undecided what to do re this tsv. I think I`ll wait and see what else is on the show and then decide. I basically want bodywash and oil.

Thanks supercoolwillow, but I won't be buying this time - I only started a refill skin wash my Mum gave me at the last TSV a couple of weeks ago. I also have a pack or two of the wipes from past TSVs & my Mum, I've got a couple of small bottles of the body lotion on the go (one in the bathroom and the other in my en-suite), but I've not tried the deodorant, and I think I would like to give it a go.

The deodorant is literally a deodorant, there is no anti-perspirant aspect to it, so it won't stop you sweating, and when I have used it in the past I have found that by the time I have got back home from work I am not as fresh under the arms as I would like to be, so it's not something I would use again.

I don't use the wipes myself, but my teenage boys have used them and liked them so they will get the wipes.

I have had the body lotion in the past and I do like it, it's good to use after shaving legs.

So, all in all, I am quite happy to buy this one as soon as it's available.

Has anyone any idea how much this will be and if will be on auto-delivery? I have quite a bit of skin wash still but may still be tempted, love the body lotion :mysmilie_59:

Latest posts

Back