ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Are QVC out of touch?

• No, Never

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Don't know

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
This is good, I picked up the computer to start a thread about this very issue but it seems everyone else has thought what I was going to say, so I'm glad I'm not the only one. I appreciate that not everyone in the country is affected by the poor economy but that shouldn't stop QVC from making sure that there are items for sale that everyone can afford too.

Also, if they are going to use designer names, it might help if they use names that the majority of people have heard of. Honestly, how many people here would know who Charlie Lapson was if you didn't watch QVC? Along with many others. I was in TK Maxx yesterday and mum nearly bought a handbag that was virtually identical to a Lapson bag, admittedly it was last season's look, but it was only £29.99. It wasn't just a look-alike, the quality was outstanding and the leather was super soft. I don't understand why people would pay so much for a fancy satchel, even if they have the money in the bank not to have to worry how much it cost.

It's the same with jewellery. Why spend £1500+ on pearls (oyster poo!) when the imitations look just as good. If I saw someone wearing something like this in the street I'd never think it was genuine stuff anyway. Lots of the designer stuff looks gross too.

Mum used to love watching QVC. Due to illness she's not able to go shopping in the normal way and TV shops used to be something of a lifeline but now she's finding that there's just too little to be of interest now. The quality just isn't there any more either. In recent months she's had to return 4 coats that have been faulty upon receipt. I'm sure she can't just be that unlucky? Thinner materials, poor stitching and leaking colours are just some of the problems encountered. It wasn't like this a couple of years ago.

Final point - yes, you can find 90% of QVC's items cheaper elsewhere on t'internet. The only thing that normally keeps me buying is easy-pay and without that there's no incentive. I get the product info from the TV and go and scour Amazon and Ebay to get the best prices. It's rare to find that QVC have got the best price, even ignoring their outrageous P&P. I don't understand how QVC can charge so much postage and be so slow on delivery.

I am viewing less these days due to the large number of very expensive (non essential) items such as handbags. For instants last night flicked over and they were selling Lint chocs at £50 plus with £5 plus p&p - which I have always found outrageous and why can't you place an order for other things and still only pay one P&P?

I think they may be doing the 'Apprentice' trick, sell expensive because at least you don't have to do the volume to make the same money.

I still look at the TSV's and sets which are good value, but the fashion is just not worth watching. If I fancy some choc's I will go down to the local shop which won't cost me as much as there post.

Here's a thought - is the sudden influx of expensive "designer" brands a somewhat misguided overreaction to Molton Brown telling QVC they're not high-end enough to sell their product anymore?

Yeah, the novelty is definitely wearing off. Forcing myself to watch more "proper" TV these days. My main addiction remains Ojon but that can also be found on Ebay. As others have commented, it's a useful reference and then you can look elsewhere for cheaper options.

It's a pity.

Hey,lemonsqueezy,I'm 50+ and wouldn't be seen dead in their fashion.I occasionally buy bits from them,considering Honora earrings at the moment on waitlist,but find their style of presenting dated and some what condesending.But perhaps that's just me. I personally think they need a radical shape up.Some of their bedding is OK but again no bargain.

Hey,lemonsqueezy,I'm 50+ and wouldn't be seen dead in their fashion.I occasionally buy bits from them,considering Honora earrings at the moment on waitlist,but find their style of presenting dated and some what condesending.But perhaps that's just me. I personally think they need a radical shape up.Some of their bedding is OK but again no bargain.

I am 50 and wouldn't be seen dead in qvc fashion either!!
Someone must be buying it though!

Here's a thought - is the sudden influx of expensive "designer" brands a somewhat misguided overreaction to Molton Brown telling QVC they're not high-end enough to sell their product anymore?

No, I don't think so Moth, although I can understand your thinking on this. I think it's basically because the "designer"/'high end' stuff is actually not selling on the posh bits of the High Street, so these companies are using QVC as a kind of outlet to shift their stuff to the masses (albeit only to those of the 'masses' who have masses of money and bad taste, but who shop via tv!!). But are there enough rich people with bad taste out there anymore, who can bring in the dosh to QVC? I suppose time, and sales figures, will tell. What this forum shows, though, is that most people actually have pretty good taste, are watching their money, and are crying out for something better from QVC! I mean, look at the feeding frenzy there is when a nice item at a good price comes on air for goodness sake!! :33:

I'm 65 and wouldn't be seen in K&Co they sell tat like that on our market at a fraction of the price. I shop at a designer shop where all the rich women take there clothes each season to sell . One woman took in three rails full of Prada some not even worn with the tags still on! Spoilt or what, am I envious? YES, not really I,ve got far more interesting things to do, but I don't mind them wasting their money so that I can buy really good quality, fashionable clothes very cheaply.

I have choosen Sometimes

With the overpriced bags and shocking clothes amongst others.

I am 50 and wouldn't be seen dead in qvc fashion either!!
Someone must be buying it though!

I have to admit that I buy some of their fashion items. One of the reasons is the sizing. You just can't get the range of styles and colours on the 'high street'. I'm a size 22 (depending on the make) and I find it very difficult to find what I like in my size. So many shops stop at 16 and even M&S has a very limited choice above that size - if anyone has ever found a Per Una top over size 18 please let me know.

I honestly find QVC boring, I used to be addicted but not now, I hardly ever watch. Their jewellery items are too expensive, along with the OTT handbags. I never look at their fashion and there's not alot of easypay being offered. P & P too expensive and I think they have lost the plot.

Things have definitely changed for me. Haven't been able to put my finger on one thing so think it is a combination of things.

Early on it was novelty and they introduced me to a lot of brands I had not met before and so wanted to try. For the longest time after that I still enjoyed the prices (factoring the P&P into this). Beauty has always been the place they really get me.

However, over the past couple of years my spending has dropped off significantly. Partly because I have tried many of the brands so no novelty factor left. Partly because there is such good value competition out there.

Early on I used to genuinely enjoy watching some of the shows (yes sad) but now very rarely watch more than a few minutes because seen it all before. Most of my purchases are made on their website which makes the P&P all the more galling because you are putting items in the basket but unlike other online shops the postage remains the same :(

They need to look at their online competition and also send some of their buyers out on the (deserted) high streets to see what we are not even buying there for less money.

Don't you find it like that if a new shop opens though,at first you always make a beeline for it and then after a while you may visit occasionally.
Also we may be in a credit crunch but does that stop shops selling top of the range tv's or hi fi systems.There will always be a market somewhere.QVC still have theirs!
Have also voted sometimes though because they are not perfect.

There will always be a market somewhere.QVC still have theirs!

But the point is that QVC have lost me along the way and I was their market! Yes I think I would have reduced my spending over time as illustrated above but also things have changed along with the brands they sell. For instance, compared with US QVC our Philosophy range is pathetic. They sell us into these brands and then fail to deliver to loyal customers long term when their own relationships flounder.

My money is simply going elsewhere and so they have failed in the golden rule of business - retain your loyal customers.

I chose "sometimes" - Also, I agree with QVCaddict that they introduce a range and, inexplicably, drop it without an explanation i.e. Dr. Denese, Scott Barnes, Brenda Christian to name but a few. So annoying.......:28:

I think if QVC's fashion was less American-based it would appear to be a bit more fashionable. the Americans are known for being old-fashioned in their fashion sense!
I also think if they even ran one show a day as a "recession-busting" hour, with items from their clearance range or even new products which are good value, it would also be good; and finally
If they did something about charging P & P on every part of an order! If they did a deal that if there were two or more products being shipped to the one address that there was only one flat P & P. Obviously this would be different if you were getting a telly delivered but if the items were of a reasonable size I think it should be possible!:33:

I've been finding less and less to interest me, the presenters more and more irritating and the P&P combined with delivery times a turn off. However I work full time and live in a rural area with little shopping choice and no access to the brands QVC offer largely. I do look at stuff on QVC and then often buy elsewhere via websites. Some of the combined offers ie TSV's or beauty collections do offer good value still but there seems no real sparkle anymore. I agree that prices especially in some ranges do seem high but I have never spent big money on handbags or the latest trends for example so I'm not that qualified to comment. I too know people who spend ridiculous amounts of money compared to their salaries on "luxury" items even now.

Just seen an Bose item on 2 Easy Payments of £244! As others have said, what planet are these folk on. You can get better offers in the High Street!

Latest posts

Back