Aqua manda is back

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

sharonk

Registered Shopper
A couple of years ago I started a thread about Philosophy and Coty which lead to lots of flaking about perfumes of our younger years.
Aqua Manda was mentioned a couple of times.
Well I don't know where I have been the last couple of months but if you like it! it's back on the shelves.
http://www.aquamandaperfume.com
I always thought it was one of the cheaper perfumes, you know, tweed sort of prices

Blimey, that takes me back, I vaguely remember this and we were talking about Faberge kiku the other day, on a Yankee thread, i am sure aqua manda was cheap at the time , but it certainly isn't now! Perhaps all the old scents are going to make a comeback ,

Perhaps a bar of soap at £4 for old times sake. It was a unisex perfume. I liked it and bought at least one bottle.
Harvey Nicks and topshop and debenhams in oxford street are stocking it. I'll be getting it when there are more stockists.

I might have a spritz of a tester if I see it instore, I think that would satisfy that retrospective curiosity.

My first 'grown-up' perfume was Max Factor Le Jardin. I bought it for my birthday with a Boots gift voucher! My first 'pricey' perfume was L'Air Du Temps by Nina Ricci (bought for me by friends for my 18th). I still have the bottle! No perfume, though, obviously!

Euugh Tabu! Someone bought me that in the 80s and it was absolutely VILE! It's all designer expensive perfumes now, but years ago people were far more willing to wear the cheaper scents. Think its a bit of a shame that we don't seem happy with anything less than Chanel or YSL etc these days. Ok, they may well have not smelled so sophisticated, but I guess it's a sign of these "want everything now" times!

I remember all those Lentheric ones - Style, Mystique, Tweed, Panache....Yardley Lace, Le Jardin, Exclamation, Tribe, Jovan Musk, 4711 etc! All available off the shelf - no over made up sales assistants etc and no Zelebrity scents....Can't really remember Aqua Manda however, maybe a bit before my time.

Oh I loved Aqua Manda as a teenager. I saved using it for weekends only so the bottle would last me longer. Monday to Friday I sneakily used my older sister`s perfume or my Mother`s perfume. Consequently over a period of time I often smelled of Miss Dior, Soir de Paris, Youth Dew, Tweed, L`Aimant, Panache and even my brother`s Brut now and again but not all at once I hasten to add !
My first perfume gift were small bottles of Heaven Scent and Apple Blossom given to me as a birthday gift from an Aunt. My Mother then became an Avon lady and began selling Avon to her work friends and neighbours so there were bottles of perfume galore and I was gutted when she decided not to sell Avon anymore. It was a short lived but experimental period in my teenage years and I regularly nicked samples from my Mum`s Avon bag, naughty me ....

My first 'grown-up' perfume was Max Factor Le Jardin. I bought it for my birthday with a Boots gift voucher! My first 'pricey' perfume was L'Air Du Temps by Nina Ricci (bought for me by friends for my 18th). I still have the bottle! No perfume, though, obviously!

Gosh that took me back, LE Jardin, I had that too
The pretty lid with flowers on it

My youth was fragranced by the heady aroma of Paris and poison (excellent name) both I think are still around in some form strangely as they are vile , nauseating scents! Curious about some of the ones mentioned so might try and get a sniff!

Funnily enough I bought a bottle of poison before Christmas. It smells the same as I remember but is nowhere near as strong as it used to be. I think the last bottle I bought would be 25+ years ago.
I used to wear cachet when I was at school I think aqua manda was around then but I really can't plce the smell is I am going to have a wiff if I see it

Shows the different age groups on here, when some can and can't remember Aqua Manda - orange bottle with brown flowers - a lot like the curtain and carpet colours of that era, and the men in the family either wore Brut or Old Spice !

No one has mentioned Blue Grass or Fenjal !

Recently went to the Aircraft Museum at Duxford and in their souvenir shop were bottles of Soir de Paris !! so I bought one. My mum used to wear this a lot when it came in a dark blue bottle with black rubber stopper, and always in a quirky gift box. Mum's collection amounted to 2 - a black top hat and a grandfather clock. The Evening in Paris I bought smells similar, but obviously not the same formula, and its in a spray bottle.

Oh I remember Blue Grass vividly !
I still have a little velvet evening bag which belonged to my Mum and inside it is an empty Soir De Paris bottle, the little blue one and the bag still smells of it even though she died almost 27 years ago. I also have an unopened very old bottle of Devon Violets perfume which belonged to her but I bet it stinks rotten now. I`ve never opened it and it`s still in it`s cardboard box and cellophane. I think someone must have bought it for her but she never used it, her favourite perfume was Quelques Fleurs and I love it but I think the formula has changed somewhat, as they sadly do.
It`s amazing how our taste in perfume changes over the years. I loved Aqua Manda as a teen but doubt I`d love it now, whereas I didn`t particularly love Quelques Fleurs as a teen but love it as I approach 60. I guess it`s true when they say we turn into our Mothers lol

I've never heard of Aqua Manda before. Mind you the website says it's from the 60s and 70s so I guess that's why I haven't, I wasn't born till the 80s.

I was also an Aqua Manda girl and remember it well, round brown bottle with a flat patterned round top. From what I remember it smelt orangey. I have always preferred citrus smelling perfumes rather than flowery and I still wear older perfumes. My daily perfume is O de Lancome which is fresh and lemony and on special occasions I wear one called Lagerfeld. This was a unisex perfume and came out in the late 70s. In the 80s it started disappearing from the shops and I was told it wasn't available anymore. I was on a business trip to Moscow in the early 90s and was delighted to see it in a perfume shop, so I bought loads and still use it today and the smell hasn't changed at all. Many of my friends starting using this perfume as they also fell in love with it.

Interestingly, I have just searched on the internet and have found that it is still made and is available on Amazon, so this thread and made me very happy this morning.

I am going to the UK for a holiday in March, my first visit for over 12 years, so I will be going to Selfridges to is if Aqua Manda still smells the same.

I was also an Aqua Manda girl and remember it well, round brown bottle with a flat patterned round top. From what I remember it smelt orangey. I have always preferred citrus smelling perfumes rather than flowery and I still wear older perfumes. My daily perfume is O de Lancome which is fresh and lemony and on special occasions I wear one called Lagerfeld. This was a unisex perfume and came out in the late 70s. In the 80s it started disappearing from the shops and I was told it wasn't available anymore. I was on a business trip to Moscow in the early 90s and was delighted to see it in a perfume shop, so I bought loads and still use it today and the smell hasn't changed at all. Many of my friends starting using this perfume as they also fell in love with it.

Interestingly, I have just searched on the internet and have found that it is still made and is available on Amazon, so this thread has made me very happy this morning.

I am going to the UK for a holiday in March, my first visit for over 12 years, so I will be going to Selfridges to see if Aqua Manda still smells the same.

Yes it was a cheap perfume, well I could afford it on my 12 year pocket money. I think drown myself in it, perhaps the reason I know hate the smell of oranges.:mysmilie_10:

Just a word of warning the new one will not be the same. Reformulation and also ingredients which are now deemed unsafe make a great difference.

Talu was all about the massive patchouli, the new one around now is not the same perfume. I own a pure parfum(as its called), don't actually wear it much.

I started with things like Coty Wild Musk Oil(it has to be the oil not the spray they have around now. A friend in the US managed to get me a bottle of the oil some years back), Aqua Manda, Pagan and dabbing my mother's Youth Dew, Tweed and Moon Drops.

My first proper grown up perfume was when I started working at 16, Rochas Femme which they unfortunately reformulated in 1989 by adding cumin!!!!! About two years ago I found a pre 1989 pdt on ebay and it smells as I remember, all sugared plums, leather.

Oh I sniffed Blue Grass recently out of interest on a counter. Smells nothing like the original I remember as a teen.

Gosh that took me back, LE Jardin, I had that too
The pretty lid with flowers on it

I was, I think, about 13 when it came out and was finally 'allowed' to get some when I was 15! I remember lots of the boys wanting a whiff when we were taken to a farm college during a careers lesson at school - is smelled so much nicer than the pig pens!

Latest posts

Back