Anyone else think QVC is selling more tacky + cheap things

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

tat city, I've said so many times over the past couple of years. Presenters giving it their all to make things sound better. I've also said many times in the past, what is considered good, great and marvellous by an American viewer is vastly different from what we consider it or them to be - we are poles apart in taste.

I only buy paper or bags which are not defined as a particular occasion (Christmas/birthday etc) and then make the occasion by the decoration bits. This helps with storage problems as I can have a bigger variety of sizes since occasion isnt a factor.

I find The Card Factory pretty good value.

If you buy in somewhere like Hallmark it can be a fair bit extra and I would rather put the money into the actual gift.

There's only myself and OH at Christmas and we don't do big gifts (well I buy myself a couple of things, you know what I mean). One time OH's sister in law was 40 and we bought a very expensive gift and she got so much stuff she was sorting out which ones were going to the charity shop STRAIGHT AFTER SHE'D OPENED THEM!!! In front of us as well. What a waste of money for the people that bought those gifts in good faith.

I think QVC always sells utter tat but there are things I buy. We always get a good laugh at some of the carp Gill Gauntlett and Gabby bring on at huge prices - but you know what, they sell out, so the buyers must know their stuff.

CC

What a shame! Of course, once we've given a gift, it's out of our control what the recipient does with it... but that does seem a little tactless, to say the least. Does make you think - won't bother so much next time though.

One occasion when I bought someone a gift, at the same time the OH of one of my friends gave a gift to the same person... was a gift I'd given my friend a year earlier. Needless to say, I don't bother any more.

I only buy paper or bags which are not defined as a particular occasion (Christmas/birthday etc) and then make the occasion by the decoration bits. This helps with storage problems as I can have a bigger variety of sizes since occasion isnt a factor.

I find The Card Factory pretty good value.

If you buy in somewhere like Hallmark it can be a fair bit extra and I would rather put the money into the actual gift.

That is such a good idea!! Buying paper that works for any gift, at any time of year. I've never thought of that!! I shall pinch that idea. Thank you. :eek:)

I've had Christmas presents wrapped in brown paper and tied up with Christmassy string and bits of holly or whatever and they looked lovely. I've also had my own wrapping paper returned round another present and it didn't bother me in the slightest because it's what I do, too. I think we're in the age of recycling now and I can happily live with that.

Done well, brown paper wrapping can look very classy and stylish. Some people have a really happy knack of making something ordinary into something extraordinary and special with just a simple finishing touch. I envy them. That is something I can only dream of...

My cousins used to recycle the previous year's christmas cards as gift tags - pair of pinking shears around the card image and a hole punch through for some ribbon... Very nice they looked too.

I save and reuse giftwrap - boxes, bags, paper all the time. And the gift tags and ribbons. This stuff isn't cheap, and I do like to recycle where I can...

That is such a good idea!! Buying paper that works for any gift, at any time of year. I've never thought of that!! I shall pinch that idea. Thank you. :eek:)

I have found WHS do some quite good wrapping paper at Christmas on 3 for 2 in designs that can be used all year round. I love the fact that their wrapping papers all have graph paper on the back which really does help you cut straight and to the correct size. It helps make wrapping more economical and professional.l can really recommend it. The card factory have fab bottle boxes and gift boxes at really cheap prices. I get my tissue paper and huge bows from there.

I`d love to know what they really think whilst waxing lyrical about the virtues of what they are trying to sell!!
I know DF wears the `fashion` at work but I wonder how many actually buy and wear it when they aren`t working?

love the new tartan slanket. its beautiful.

Yes, I have it and love it too and can't believe how beautifully soft it is. Trouble is, I can't get near it as the dog and cats have purloined it. Wish I had bought two now.

Yes, I have it and love it too and can't believe how beautifully soft it is. Trouble is, I can't get near it as the dog and cats have purloined it. Wish I had bought two now.

and you would have saved on the postage cost :mysmilie_8:

I have many different kinds of paper, and also tissue paper which I purchased in different colours online, it means you always have paper for any occasion. When it comes to Christmas, I have a lot of ribbon which I use to make parcels more Christmassy, and I also add little baubles from when I had small trees, and different Christmas themed nik naks - my friends think I'm very creative, and I think I am, I just love to make my gifts look as gorgeous as what I know is inside.

As soon as i hear Jill Gauntlet say 'its so classy' i look up from what i am doing just so i can point and laugh.

The cutsey ornaments, naff lights, and that dreadful projector thing they are pushing this year...

I have tried a couple of bethlehem lights things, and always been terribly disappointed. Promised myself i won't fall for them ever again.

Have to agree about the tartan slanket which is now OH's Christmas present, just like the leopard one which is mine. Both gorgeous and there should be no fighting for ownership as we're an animal and child-free zone in the main. But we did have to pay two lots of p&p which is unfair but QVC rules seeing as they were the cheapest I could find online.

love the new tartan slanket. its beautiful.

My (Spanish) pal even used my QVC account to order her dad the tartan slanket to send him back home in Spain!
I had to explain what plaid was but now it's come she loves it and is sure papa will adore it. Even the costa del sol gets cool in winter!

No offence to "the oldies" (not my words!), but I don't think QVC's offering has got more tacky, I think it's sold absolute tat from day one!!
We used to take the mic - in a gentle, loving way! - of our friend who bought from QVC in the early days because so much of it was Americanised, cheap-looking (though definitely not cheap in price!) and generally lacking in taste or style! We would see the stuff on their tv and especially at Christmas time, there seemed to an endless array of fairies, illuminated what-nots and bling.

The fashion was and still is largely made of polyester and elastane and most of the jewellery was good and gaudy.... Of course I didn't see everything they sold - or sell now - but I would say if anything some of it's a bit less naff. Except for the trash they trot out for these Christmas gift shows... At least they've now got rid of that lady who used to blow glitter at you throw the tv screen! And I haven't seen that Feng shui range for a while! Although I did see an atrocious indoor 'water feature' the other day which had me stifling a laugh so it swings in roundabouts ;)

No offence to "the oldies" (not my words!), but I don't think QVC's offering has got more tacky, I think it's sold absolute tat from day one!!
We used to take the mic - in a gentle, loving way! - of our friend who bought from QVC in the early days because so much of it was Americanised, cheap-looking (though definitely not cheap in price!) and generally lacking in taste or style! We would see the stuff on their tv and especially at Christmas time, there seemed to an endless array of fairies, illuminated what-nots and bling.

The fashion was and still is largely made of polyester and elastane and most of the jewellery was good and gaudy.... Of course I didn't see everything they sold - or sell now - but I would say if anything some of it's a bit less naff. Except for the trash they trot out for these Christmas gift shows... At least they've now got rid of that lady who used to blow glitter at you throw the tv screen! And I haven't seen that Feng shui range for a while! Although I did see an atrocious indoor 'water feature' the other day which had me stifling a laugh so it swings in roundabouts ;)

You're right, I think I bought into early QVC twenty two years ago because the "C" lived up to its name because the internet wasn't around, allowing you to to check elsewhere, then you become addicted to shopping there because you think well it must be good if QVC have it, then you learn to use the internet, stop shopping at QVC and find out they've been ripping you off and taking you for a mug all along, with the new generation of young adults who grew up with the Internet, there's only so long QVC can get away with that one. Now the "C" stands for something completely different. :mysmilie_17:

i enjoy most of my items i have bought from qvc over the decades. i think the quality/ choice is far better.

It's the lights and ornaments (garden and home) I find the most tacky of all. But Bethlehem lights etc seem to sell well so maybe it's just me but I wouldn't give those fake battery candles houseroom. And most of the YC ornament type holders are woeful, and not cheap.

Some of those garden + home ornaments are awful! As you say, not very cheap either - honestly seen better in my local Bargain £1 shop, who have started selling quite similar tat!! :mysmilie_50:

Latest posts

Back