Another gadget introduced to me by QVC

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

stratobuddy

Registered Shopper
The main reason I check what's on Q is they sometimes introduce me to new gadgets (although not as often as in the "good old days").

Today it was the PowerCube 4-way mains extension lead with 2 built-in high power USB chargers, suitable for an iPad (many chargers are not powerful enough for this).

It may have been available for ages, but it was new to me.

Looking online, there are all sorts of variations on this.

See the video on this link -

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00KNWVRYS/?tag=shoppingcom03-21

So far, the Q price is the best I've found, but the PP then makes it more expensive, as usual.

BEWARE if shopping around. Some are only 1.5 metres, not 3 metres. And some have 5 sockets but NO USB chargers. The video will explain the other options.

I caught a few minutes of this item on air and (if it does what it says) I'd be tempted. So I'm waiting to read the reviews (always hopeful that they'll give sensible feedback).

The main reason I check what's on Q is they sometimes introduce me to new gadgets (although not as often as in the "good old days").

Today it was the PowerCube 4-way mains extension lead with 2 built-in high power USB chargers, suitable for an iPad (many chargers are not powerful enough for this).

It may have been available for ages, but it was new to me.

Looking online, there are all sorts of variations on this.

See the video on this link -

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00KNWVRYS/?tag=shoppingcom03-21

So far, the Q price is the best I've found, but the PP then makes it more expensive, as usual.

BEWARE if shopping around. Some are only 1.5 metres, not 3 metres. And some have 5 sockets but NO USB chargers. The video will explain the other options.

Ah, I have been looking for something like this too. Would never have thought of looking at QVC, to be honest, even though I have bought tech from Q before. I would just assume they would be dearer, with or without the additional P&P.

Anyway, this cube.... I just bought a 4 way extension lead from Amazon with USB sockets and I wondered about charging my iPhone and/or iPad with it. How can I tell whether it will be powerful enough, Strato? And if I plug it in, will it damage the socket and/or device? I never know as Apple provide a special plug for the iPad, for example, and I don't know if this is also a transformer which makes it safe? (Assuming you know a lot here!)

I might get a PowerCube anyway (from Amazon!). Thanks for the heads-up.

I caught a few minutes of this item on air and (if it does what it says) I'd be tempted. So I'm waiting to read the reviews (always hopeful that they'll give sensible feedback).

Lots of reviews on Amazon if you click on the above link, Akimbo.

Ah, I have been looking for something like this too. Would never have thought of looking at QVC, to be honest, even though I have bought tech from Q before. I would just assume they would be dearer, with or without the additional P&P.

Anyway, this cube.... I just bought a 4 way extension lead from Amazon with USB sockets and I wondered about charging my iPhone and/or iPad with it. How can I tell whether it will be powerful enough, Strato? And if I plug it in, will it damage the socket and/or device? I never know as Apple provide a special plug for the iPad, for example, and I don't know if this is also a transformer which makes it safe? (Assuming you know a lot here!)

I might get a PowerCube anyway (from Amazon!). Thanks for the heads-up.

The iPad needs about 2.1 amps (2100 milliamperes) to charge it at the normal speed.

Many USB chargers (and emergency chargers) only provide about 1/2 of this. You can still use them, but it takes at least twice as long to charge, and the emergency chargers will not fully charge it before they go flat.

I don't think any USB charger will damage the items, using the correct leads.

BTW Lidl sell Lightning charging cables for the iPad and iPhones at a ridiculously low price (a few pounds) compared with the exhorbitant price from Apple. I use the Lidl lead and keep my Apple lead safe. I have bought a couple of the Lidl leads as spares.

Mainly 5 star reviews on the link.

The lower star reviews were mainly where the users ordered the wrong product, with 5 sockets but no USB, then gave a poor review, even though they admitted it was their own fault LOL!

The iPad needs about 2.1 amps (2100 milliamperes) to charge it at the normal speed.

Many USB chargers (and emergency chargers) only provide about 1/2 of this. You can still use them, but it takes at least twice as long to charge, and the emergency chargers will not fully charge it before they go flat.

I don't think any USB charger will damage the items, using the correct leads.

BTW Lidl sell Lightning charging cables for the iPad and iPhones at a ridiculously low price (a few pounds) compared with the exhorbitant price from Apple. I use the Lidl lead and keep my Apple lead safe. I have bought a couple of the Lidl leads as spares.

That is all really helpful, thanks. I know how long my iPad takes using the usual charger so I think I'll give the USBs on the extension lead I'm getting from Amazon a go and compare, since I already ordered it. I still think I'll get the cube as well though because it's very compact and all different plugs apparently fit, unlike some multiway leads where the sockets are too close together for bigger plugs.

Just off for a look at Lidl too.

Lidl only have the leads in as a "special offer" every couple of months or so, and they then keep them in store until they sell out, then you have to wait until the next time.

Lidl only have the leads in as a "special offer" every couple of months or so, and they then keep them in store until they sell out, then you have to wait until the next time.

Ah, I thought that would be the case, in usual Lidl style. I wasn't sure whether you meant they had them currently. I often pick up their leaflets so will keep an eye open for a charger.

Which supplier did you use Strato?

I've just ordered one from Amazon - thanks for pointing to this as I hadn't heard of the PowerCube before.

I have a surge protector that I bought in B&Q that's very similar to this, with four 3-pin sockets and two USB. Cost £20. I don't know if the cube is a surge protector, but I always use one so nothing blows if there's a spike.

Which supplier did you use Strato?

I've just ordered one from Amazon - thanks for pointing to this as I hadn't heard of the PowerCube before.

Every time I google anything for prices, it seems to come up differently each time.

Initially I couldn't find it less than the QVC £17 (for the item itself)

A couple of hours later I found it in "MyMemory" for £15-75 with free tracked PP.

It is on its way, even though I didn't order it until 1930 on Sunday evening.

I received mine yesterday, was ordered Sunday evening, free PP, and it came directly from the Netherlands.

It has the 3m lead, but it is very stiff, and I can't get the kinks out.

What is your lead like?

I received mine yesterday, was ordered Sunday evening, free PP, and it came directly from the Netherlands.

It has the 3m lead, but it is very stiff, and I can't get the kinks out.

What is your lead like?

Lead is ok ,but too short .not happy with it .Asked for return and refund. Let's see .otherwise will file a claim .The box says 1.5 and the receipt and every write up says 3m.

That is all really helpful, thanks. I know how long my iPad takes using the usual charger so I think I'll give the USBs on the extension lead I'm getting from Amazon a go and compare, since I already ordered it. I still think I'll get the cube as well though because it's very compact and all different plugs apparently fit, unlike some multiway leads where the sockets are too close together for bigger plugs.

Just off for a look at Lidl too.

Don't know if you already aware of this (apologies if you are!) but if you put any apple product into airplane mode (which switches off wifi etc to reduce power), whilst charging, it takes a LOT less time to charge...

As for cables, I don't like to use non-apple ones although I have done on occasion, but would never pay their RRP's so I buy all my lightning cables from eBay where you can genuine apple ones in 1 and 2 metres for about £5. Sometimes they don't have their full packaging but so long as they have the official print on the cable they are perfect.

One final tip, is you can't that the device should only take the power it needs from charger. For example if I charge my iphone which is supplied with a 5w charger, on my mini iPad's 12w one, it doesn't damage it as it will only draw what it needs if that makes any sense?!

Latest posts

Back