Anna Cookson, think before engaging gob

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

vampyre

Blood Drinking Iconoclast
I know some like her "extensive vocabulary", I'm usually indifferent.
I know we all make mistakes, gibberish flows forth from all of us.

Said to Suzy, "I know thread count is anathema to some people, what does it mean?"
If I ever find out Anna, I'll let you know.

(I did replay this in case I misheard, but I hadn't)

Don't you know what "anathema" means?!
I know some like her "extensive vocabulary", I'm usually indifferent.
I know we all make mistakes, gibberish flows forth from all of us.

Said to Suzy, "I know thread count is anathema to some people, what does it mean?"
If I ever find out Anna, I'll let you know.

(I did replay this in case I misheard, but I hadn't)

"Anathema was originally used as a term for exile from the church, but evolved to mean "either set apart, banished or denounced".

I suppose it could be a malapropism ............. but heaven only knows what word she actually meant. :thinking: Answers on a postcard, please. :wink:

Totally right, sheepdog. It's also ungrammatical: should be "an anathema". Thread count may well be irrelevant to some people... . Proper use of the word would be, for example: "Sleeping in those brushed nylon sheets people used in the 1970s would be an anathema to most people nowadays!".

She meant enigma. Thread counts are an enigma to most people......if you say so, or not.

"Sleeping in those brushed nylon sheets people used in the 1970s would be an anathema to most people nowadays!".

Or shocking!:wink:

Still, I suppose the static would be guaranteed to give you an electrifying bedtime experience. :eek:

Maybe they wash well if you're having an enema?

Jude xx

PS just wait for the T callers on the subject this evening!

So Anna has not got a Degree in English Language but she seems to me to be a nice straight forward presenter who's not full of her own self importance. I find her one of the nicer presenters to watch.

Synonyms for the word 'anathema' include aversion, abhorrence hatred, dirty word and bugbear; the context in which Anna used the word was, therefore, perfectly correct. Anna comes across, in my opinion, as quite an unassuming and intelligent woman. I don't think she is in the habit of using rather obtuse vocabulary just to make herself sound as if she has swallowed a dictionary.

Sorry, I disagree. Would you really have an aversion , abhorrence hatred etc to a thread count ? I don't have an opinion one way or the other on Anna and can't presume to know what she did mean to say but anathema sounds most unlikely.

So Anna has not got a Degree in English Language but she seems to me to be a nice straight forward presenter who's not full of her own self importance. I find her one of the nicer presenters to watch.

I thought she did for some reason.

Synonyms for the word 'anathema' include aversion, abhorrence hatred, dirty word and bugbear; the context in which Anna used the word was, therefore, perfectly correct. Anna comes across, in my opinion, as quite an unassuming and intelligent woman. I don't think she is in the habit of using rather obtuse vocabulary just to make herself sound as if she has swallowed a dictionary.

Everyone sees things differently but I don't agree. I do believe she meant enigma as in something we don't understand, not that thread counts are a bugbear or something people are averse to.

ETA: I honestly believe she understands the meaning of anathema to be fair and just had a misfiring synapse, live tv is cruel.

Last edited:
Synonyms for the word 'anathema' include aversion, abhorrence hatred, dirty word and bugbear; the context in which Anna used the word was, therefore, perfectly correct.

In the context of talking about bed linen? I don't think so.

She used the wrong word and probably did a little cringe inside when she realised it. It's not a crime obviously, but I think Anna forgets who her audience is. Lets face it, mrs velour tracksuit with spag bol stain on crotch sat on the sofa eating crisps isn't going to know what anathema means anyway, so why bother using it?

In the context of talking about bed linen? I don't think so.

She used the wrong word and probably did a little cringe inside when she realised it. It's not a crime obviously, but I think Anna forgets who her audience is. Lets face it, mrs velour tracksuit with spag bol stain on crotch sat on the sofa eating crisps isn't going to know what anathema means anyway, so why bother using it?

:mysmilie_466:

However much I try I am afraid I cannot warm to Anna Cookson. The vocabulary thing grates on me as does her voice that goes all funny at the end of each sentence - as though she is smiling, patronising and trying to sound seductive. The teal top she wore today was hideous. For someone who considers herself to have a broad lexical dexterity her pronunciation is abysmal. Does she not realise that the word "hour" is to be pronounced as though it rhymes with the word "flour," and not "power?" Owwww errrrrr! Flaaaaaaaaaars! Proclivity! Anathema! Enema! Snugglicious! Sorry Annna love, you are not Susie Dent and you never will be! Just stick to being a normal telly sales assistant! Yeh! .U GHET ME!

Latest posts

Back