And would you also like......?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

whitesnake

Registered Shopper
Is anyone else fed up of the operators at the Customer Service Centre asking 'and would you also like....' whenever you ring up to order anything? On Saturday I rang to order to order the Liz Earle TSV and was asked 'Would you like the botanical shine shampoo and conditioner to go with that?' No I flaming well wouldn't. If I wanted it I would be ringing and asking for it wouldn't I? It has really started to get on my nerves as it happens every time you ring up. It makes QVC sound desperate for our cash!

Use QCut, I never speak to an operator. Catalogue companies used to that years back, if you are ordering X why not order Y as well. IW used to be the worst, I thought it was a ploy to keep you on the phone longer and make more money from the call.

I hate this in restaurants, the endless upsell! I always impress on my kids that they're not offering you, bread, side salad, bottled water, garlic bread or whatever as a freebie. They were shocked when I first told them these are items that'll end up on the bill, now they're old enough to eat out on their own with friends. Also at the till in places like BHS or Debenhams where they have a script about their store charge card, particularly if you've queued behind 6 other customers and heard it repeated parrot fashion for each one! Mind you I feel for the shop staff who are compelled by management to try the upsell everytime, they probably mutter it in their sleep!

On a lighter note, online shopping throws up some weird and wonderful "you might also like..." items at checkout. Some which bear no connection to the items you've just paid for or previously bought from that retailer! You know the kind of thing, you've just bought a bra and it offers you a set of spanners!

Is anyone else fed up of the operators at the Customer Service Centre asking 'and would you also like....' whenever you ring up to order anything? On Saturday I rang to order to order the Liz Earle TSV and was asked 'Would you like the botanical shine shampoo and conditioner to go with that?' No I flaming well wouldn't. If I wanted it I would be ringing and asking for it wouldn't I? It has really started to get on my nerves as it happens every time you ring up. It makes QVC sound desperate for our cash!

QVC are desperate for your cash. There is a very definite reason for their behaviour and all the recent personnel changes, I assure you.

I hate it too. It is not as if you even know what you are being offered in some cases as you cannot see the item so unless it is a range you are familiar with...... Last time I ordered a beauty product they tried to sell me the Buckley poppy which I had already bought direct from the British legion some time ago. I know catalogue firms who do this and they annoy me as well! At least online you can see what they are suggesting however ridiculous.

I hate this in restaurants, the endless upsell! I always impress on my kids that they're not offering you, bread, side salad, bottled water, garlic bread or whatever as a freebie. They were shocked when I first told them these are items that'll end up on the bill, now they're old enough to eat out on their own with friends. Also at the till in places like BHS or Debenhams where they have a script about their store charge card, particularly if you've queued behind 6 other customers and heard it repeated parrot fashion for each one! Mind you I feel for the shop staff who are compelled by management to try the upsell everytime, they probably mutter it in their sleep!

On a lighter note, online shopping throws up some weird and wonderful "you might also like..." items at checkout. Some which bear no connection to the items you've just paid for or previously bought from that retailer! You know the kind of thing, you've just bought a bra and it offers you a set of spanners!

I have friends who work in Debenhams and they get at meetings non-stop you must push the store card! They even kept a chart in the management office of who was selling the card the best. At one point management even said, "Your job might depend on how well you sell the store card!"

And would you also like......?

It seems to be everywhere now, every time I shop in Superdrug I am asked at the checkout if I need some stamps:Smile:

Or, "Did you find everything you were looking for today?"
None of your business!

Would you like fries with that? Would you like to 'go large'? It works for McDonalds now everyone's doing it.

Q even offers extra items on Q-Cut now so there's no escape.

Or, "Did you find everything you were looking for today?"
None of your business!

Lakeland does that - and sometimes they've found me the thing I went in for that I couldn't find myself... You know, the thing you didn't even know you needed until you saw it in the catalogue :wink:.

Last edited:
I would say "does it come free with the TSV?"

I only EVER buy on line these days as I got so fed up of the constant upselling.
But Q aren't the worse but at least on line you can block the constant advertising.

A chain store I used to work for classed, the script that assistants are required to say during the checkout as "correct till procedure" Staff regularly omitting the upsell script could be ultimately sacked* for "incorrect till procedure" a phrase which also covered theft from the tills. Imagine having that on your employment record! So I fully understand the pressure to repeat it.

I think the retailers concerned underestimate how annoying it is

*permanent shop staff have better protection against dismissal these days, though not many new permanent jobs are created in retail these days

I always use QCut when ordering and I've even had the 'man' on there asking me if I'd like another item when I've bought what I wanted.

I have friends who work in Debenhams and they get at meetings non-stop you must push the store card! They even kept a chart in the management office of who was selling the card the best. At one point management even said, "Your job might depend on how well you sell the store card!"

I used to work in a similar shop and it was much the same there. When the branch wasn't shifting enough cards management would have staff fill in false applications to keep the numbers up so the store wasn't penalised. Pathetic.

It's very common now days unfortunately. I know the sales assistants are told to say these things by management so I just politely decline. It's not the assistant's fault.

Always order online when possible, and Phone App or Qcut when away. Really get annoyed talking to someone, then they are trying to sell you something else you don't want.:Angry:

This really irks me too! That's why I choose ordering online. Even the self-serve tills at Whsmith ask if you'd like to add any of there £1 promotional items, and you have to manually select the no thanks button.

The Post Office really irritate me with this up-sell too. You go in and put your letter on the scales and say may I sent this 1st class large letter with proof of posting please, and then they say, for x amount extra you can send it signed for service, or guaranteed by 1pm etc. Erm no had I wanted that service I would have asked for it. It just wastes time, and as there is usually a line a mile long, it is not only my time but also those other customers time they are wasting. And no I don't want to buy a ****** book of stamps either thank you very much, or else I would have asked. And 8 times out of 10 they forget to give me my proof of posting, which I did ask for! Grr!

M & S express do it also at their tills, as well as W.H Smith - would I like some 'on offer' bars of chocolate or biscuits. I pity the poor assistants having to ask, but have to do it in case a 'secret shopper' reports them for not doing so.

Latest posts

Back