And now for something completely different...

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

DebraJane

Registered Shopper
I dropped my flippin hairdryer yesterday and now it's making the strangest noise so much so that I don't want to trust it near my face. I've had it a long while so its probably time to invest in a new one, but what to choose?

I need one that either comes with or takes a diffuser and it needs not to be heavy. The trouble is the descriptions don't really tell you what you need to know. The last 2 I've had have been Nicky Clarke.

What's your experience and what do you recommend I go for?

Depends on whether you hammer it to heck by using it every day. I leave mine to dry naturally most of the time so for the rare occasions I blow dry my hair I make do with a Babyliss travel one, small but powerful, light and with a few add ons.

For every day use I reckon you must get what you pay for. My hairdresser uses Tourmaline ones, but I don't really understand those.

I have a Babyliss Pro one, had it several years now, I always invest in a professional dryer as my hair is really thick.

I do need one that stands up to being used 3/4 times a week do I've always bought a professional one as well.
Are the Babyliss ones particularly heavy as my last Nicky Clarke was a bit and I now have a shoulder problem which means holding up a hairdryer is a problem.

FP - was yours an Ego that you got from QVC? They seem incredibly expensive. I did wonder about the Yogi...

I've got a Sassi professional hairdryer bought from Sallys/Salon Services about 10 years ago.

It's used constantly as my family including my grandchildren are always coming & going,they hate going home so endless showers & hair washing.

Would strongly recommend Sassi x

I've just invested in a new hairdryer as my old Babyliss started to smell a bit scary, and after some research into light and powerful professional dryers went for this one:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0012BGQZO/?tag=shoppingcom03-21

I got mine from Ebay for about £10 less than Amazon have them and would highly recommend it. Really well made, easy to handle (I have arthritis in my shoulders) and dries my hair in no time.

Parlux are very good, my niece is a hairdresser and that is what she uses, in fact many many hairdressers do.

And it's pink!

lol! I've got a pink one too! It's Diva (I think) from T K Maxx, but when I've just had my hair cut it's too powerful...I keep it pretty short and I alternate between the Diva when it's grown a bit and a Remington when it's just been cut..I've always had success with Remington hairdriers.

I've owned three hairdryers in the last 30 years. The first was a Babyliss. Bought trade as I used to be a Saturday receptionist for my friend when she was setting up her salon. When that finally died my then husband bought me some whizzy thing that was quieter. The old Babyliss was ****** noisy I will give him that. It died after about a year and I bought another Babyliss. I was only looking at it at the weekend thinking what a state it looked. It's very old and battered but it still works so Babyliss would definitely get my vote.

I do also have the Babyliss Big Hair which I use sometimes but not every time. If I do I dry my hair roughly first then use the Big Hair. I haven't got time to wait for my hair to dry naturally.

I'm still using the duck face hair-dryer I bought for 21 when she was in Primary school. It came with a little stand so you can just sit in front of it and have your hands free to whizz about with a brush.
As I'm cack-handed, it's suits me :grin:

I could do with an extra pair of hands to style with. When i go to the gym I sneakily look to see how the others style their hair for improved technique but usually end up same method- head down, blast the hair, try and get some volume. Haveost count of the number of products I have tried to add volume. None work. Gym has babyliss driers by the way. The cleaner wraps the wire round them which I 'm sure you are not supposed to do.

I could do with an extra pair of hands to style with. When i go to the gym I sneakily look to see how the others style their hair for improved technique but usually end up same method- head down, blast the hair, try and get some volume. Haveost count of the number of products I have tried to add volume. None work. Gym has babyliss driers by the way. The cleaner wraps the wire round them which I 'm sure you are not supposed to do.

Have you tried a root booster Flying Pigs? The other thing I do, when styling, stick the brush into front (or top) of the hair, lift it, and blast the roots, as well as the back (underneath) - this seems to help, whatever hair drier I'm using...!

I have to admit I wrap the wire sound my Babyliss. Since posting I've tried to work out how old it is and I reckon it must be about 15 years old.

If you struggle with styling your hair then the Big Hair could be a good option. It's a hairdryers and brush in one so it does give you an extra hand almost. If you do go for it then your hair needs to be damp rather than wet or it doesn't work as well. If you bought it from QVC you would really be able to try it and get your money back if it didn't work for you.

The other thing to do is to ask your hairdresser to show you how to dry your own hair. Get them to explain what they're doing and why. Ask them what sort of brushes to use too.

Got the big hair with smaller brush, got the babyliss root lifter, tried every product you could shake a stick at, watched very carefully as hair styled and I am still not happy.to be honest I don't particularly like the way my hair looks when the hairdressers have blown it dry. I am searching for the dream product. Lots of people comment on how nice my hair looks so I think it is just me. If I am not happy with my hair of a morning I am inclined to be grumpy.

Got the big hair with smaller brush, got the babyliss root lifter, tried every product you could shake a stick at, watched very carefully as hair styled and I am still not happy.to be honest I don't particularly like the way my hair looks when the hairdressers have blown it dry. I am searching for the dream product. Lots of people comment on how nice my hair looks so I think it is just me. If I am not happy with my hair of a morning I am inclined to be grumpy.

me too, I'm a right stickler for hair! I've been having my mobile hairdresser for about 30 years, but must admit, I wash it as soon as she's gone - she's about my age and I'm sure doesn't bother with refresher classes & stuff and whatever I ask for I end up looking the same, but she DOES cut well, and she does OH as well for £25 the lot so I put up with it, specially as he pays... :wink: I always have a shower after she's been (she's here at 8am) so it's no bother to wash the hair too and style it how I want it.

Just checked mine this morning and it's a Vidal Sassoon travel hairdryer - so it is lightweight - and I must have had it well over 35 years! The box is battered and sellotaped together!

I probably only use it about 5 times a month because I prefer to let my hair dry naturally in big rollers as it is very frizzy and I've never really mastered the art of the hairdryer. I bought it when I had my hair cut in the Purdy style and had to abandon the rollers temporarily.

I've had the same hairdresser for nearly 25 years and she is a bit like Carol's - good at cutting but hopeless at styling etc and stuck in a rut despite being in her early 40s. We've been having a "debate" over my colour for the last few months - the roots never seem to be sufficiently disguised to me - but she can't come up with an explanation. High street hairdressers are exorbitantly priced here - £120 for cut/colour is the cheapest!!

To go grey or not to go grey............

Latest posts

Back