Amanda Wakeley TSV 06/09/21

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I was a bit of a bag freak having every price, size and colour (love a coloured bag) but found that now I only work 2 days I just was using the same one time and time again. As Merry says a LV to Tesco is a bit OTT.

Ive also found I can’t cope with heavy bags before you put all the junk in. I’m currently using a Guess shopper type and it’s like a brick so that’s for the heave ho .

I spent a week going through them and got rid of a lot but there are still too many.

All those bags yet not one is ”the perfect” bag! I hate to admit it but Kipling are the most useful but they hardly win any prizes for style. I do wish they still did the smarter styles they used to do in leather.

Mini really does mean mini & like a high end city apartment that's a lot of money per cubic centimetre. However, as I wrote previously on this thread #11 we all view life & possessions differently & if someone wants to spend their money on this petite bag that's their choice. My sister & I will be going to Chelsea in a fortnight's time, we're also going to the exhibition at Kensington Palace so staying in town for two nights. I want to keep my packing as light as possible & because my going out bags are too big I've looked for a slim one & found a handmade wristlet on Etsy; it's the same colour as my boots, light as a feather & will lie at the bottom of my holdall until needed. Less than £20, fantastic service & a small business that I'll buy from again (& again).
I agreed with you on thread #12 - but it's Q I want to take a pop at here, nowadays it seems that the only demographic they care about is the person who will happily part with £400 for straighteners, £300 for a tiny bag, £70 for a pot of goop for the skin. These high end brands are available absolutely everywhere and often on better terms. Q imvho have totally lost their way, and the direction they're going in this the wrong one. I've said this before - there's still a stigma attached to selly telly, and maybe they're thinking that by rebranding themselves as television's answer to Harrods , the "haves" of this world come a flocking! Sadly it's at the expense of those who've been using Q for years because they liked what they did!

I agree smelly telly still has a stigma attached to it in unbranded goods but I think now it’s the EP’s which attract folk as a way of buying big brand stuff they really can’t afford and would balk at buying on the dreaded high street in one lump sum.

I remember a few years ago, Ideal World had the same style bag that came with interchangeable outers in different colours and designs that stayed put with magnetic buttons. My friend bought one and she used it a lot, and was probably around £20 with extra for the variety of covers.

They also did something similar with black wedge mules with interchangeable front uppers.

I agree that a lot of 'designer' bags weigh a brick before anything goes in them. I bought a Lulu Guinness patent tote bag years ago, and used it a handful of times before I offloaded it to sister in law, as it was doing my shoulder in.

I remember those bags being sold in the kiosks at shopping centres. They looked a good idea but they were all structured grab bags (AKA Queenie bags in our house) which is a style I don’t like.

I bought a bag from IW, Moria what’s her face, which had a zip off/on section at the bottom to make the bag bigger/smaller, this bit was quite big , enough to take a pair of shoes. I think it had some other adaptation but I can’t recall what it was.

I agree smelly telly still has a stigma attached to it in unbranded goods but I think now it’s the EP’s which attract folk as a way of buying big brand stuff they really can’t afford and would balk at buying on the dreaded high street in one lump sum.
Ah, you are talking about ME! I used to buy a ton of stuff I couldn't afford on easy pays and you're right, I would never have paid that in a proper shop. I used to see myself as a modern "singleton" working hard and deserving some of the finer things in life. The truth was I was wasting money. Good job they didn't have QVC when I lived in London because I might well have taken a LV bag to Tesco lol. I'm much more ordinary and realistic these days. I won't be buying the TSV that's for sure, although I like the Snake one.

CC

I remember a few years ago, Ideal World had the same style bag that came with interchangeable outers in different colours and designs that stayed put with magnetic buttons. My friend bought one and she used it a lot, and was probably around £20 with extra for the variety of covers.

They also did something similar with black wedge mules with interchangeable front uppers.

I agree that a lot of 'designer' bags weigh a brick before anything goes in them. I bought a Lulu Guinness patent tote bag years ago, and used it a handful of times before I offloaded it to sister in law, as it was doing my shoulder in.
I remember years back QVC also so these bags. Might have been early 00s

All those bags yet not one is ”the perfect” bag! I hate to admit it but Kipling are the most useful but they hardly win any prizes for style. I do wish they still did the smarter styles they used to do in leather.
I agree - they did some nice leather bags back in the day (was it the City range?) usually at a price, but ebay will have some if you've got the patience to keep watching.

I agree - they did some nice leather bags back in the day (was it the City range?) usually at a price, but ebay will have some if you've got the patience to keep watching.
Remember that French site we used to buy off pre Brexit? I used to try to get leather ones from there but they were like hens teeth and I always missed them.

Twilight if you are going to London there is a Handbag exhibition at the V&A.I have even wondered if this should be my first venture to the capitol in over 2 years.I think it is on until January?The last one I saw was the Dior which was magnificent, I had to become a member of the V&A to be sure of a ticket, but I went twice.

I have a friend who buys Mulberry bags, she is on their list and buys in the sales. Refuses to spend more than £450 for one. She showed me her Louis Vitton bag she got for her birthday from the London boutique they put her initials on it. Oh, and you had to pay for the insert at the bottom separately. I said beautiful but thought people will just think it is fake as, so many carry them.

Another person I know got a Chanel bag and purse for her anniversary. Really lovely but not my style.

I hate and I mean I HATE!!! Bags with detachable shoulder straps. I want a proper shoulder bag or a grab bag not the mix. I have two Radley' one bought on sale back in 2007 very simple medium size shoulder bag and yes I still use it. The other was bought on sale about 2 years back, the same one was on QVC at the very special price of £180 I believe down from £240+. I got it direct from Radley for £87 or £89 I believe? Only problem I have with it is the shoulder strap that sits on your shoulder is too broad for me and keeps sliding off my shoulder.

I see loads of young women wandering around with their Michael Kors etc, and you know they are all fake.

Twilight if you are going to London there is a Handbag exhibition at the V&A.I have even wondered if this should be my first venture to the capitol in over 2 years.I think it is on until January?The last one I saw was the Dior which was magnificent, I had to become a member of the V&A to be sure of a ticket, but I went twice.
Thank you SF I'll have a look, I love the V&A so a visit is always a treat. My Mr T & I will be going back up at the beginning of October, one of his climbing friends is celebrating his 70th & the evening party's on HMS Belfast so I wanted something to do during the day. I'm dreading this event, he lost his wife in the most awful way & I really wish he'd just invited the old man.

I hate and I mean I HATE!!! Bags with detachable shoulder straps. I want a proper shoulder bag or a grab bag not the mix.

Donna I thought it was just me!

I met someone on holiday who bought a LV bag (real thing I was there in the shop) and she used it on the plane home. As we know it had to go on the floor and every time I saw it being kicked around when someone moved i cringed thinking I wouldn’t treat a Kipling like that never mind a LV!

Remember that French site we used to buy off pre Brexit? I used to try to get leather ones from there but they were like hens teeth and I always missed them.

Vente Privee - I bought a ridiculous amount from them, because they're prices for Kipling pencil cases/purses started at £6 !!! I bought a beautiful red backpack with loads of accessories hanging f£22. Then with Brexit they stopped delivering to the UK.

I do have a 'City' Kipling, a small crossbody in soft black leather.

I have a friend who buys Mulberry bags, she is on their list and buys in the sales. Refuses to spend more than £450 for one. She showed me her Louis Vitton bag she got for her birthday from the London boutique they put her initials on it. Oh, and you had to pay for the insert at the bottom separately. I said beautiful but thought people will just think it is fake as, so many carry them.

Another person I know got a Chanel bag and purse for her anniversary. Really lovely but not my style.

I hate and I mean I HATE!!! Bags with detachable shoulder straps. I want a proper shoulder bag or a grab bag not the mix. I have two Radley' one bought on sale back in 2007 very simple medium size shoulder bag and yes I still use it. The other was bought on sale about 2 years back, the same one was on QVC at the very special price of £180 I believe down from £240+. I got it direct from Radley for £87 or £89 I believe? Only problem I have with it is the shoulder strap that sits on your shoulder is too broad for me and keeps sliding off my shoulder.

I see loads of young women wandering around with their Michael Kors etc, and you know they are all fake.
I've even seen schoolgirls using fake MK bags as school bags - actually no harm in that, it's a bag that holds all their bits and bobs and I doubt whether many of the other kids have the real thing either. What did upset me a bit was the craze of the fake Ugg boot and the amount of schoolkids you'd see literally walking on their ankles because they had no support, and some of the lookalikes I saw them wearing were clearly designed to be slippers. At least the fake bag isn't gonna cause injury and bad posture and actually does what it's supposed to do - Hold stuff!

I was nauseated by Micael's orgasmic 'ooh yeahs' when I watched the launch and I felt so sad for the BA who was probably very pretty before she had the Botox and fillers.

By the way I thought the bag was ugly, impractical and very over-priced, I don't like bags that gape at the sides and bags that have grab handles with a shoulder strap.
The handles and strap combo is a ‘game changer’ for me too. Makes a bag look cheap.

Latest posts

Back