Alpha-H Anniversary Shows 2016

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Well that was an expensive couple of days! I got the LG rejuvenating cream duo, the spf moisturiser and hand cream set, and the oto of the lip and eye creams.
So excited to try this new to me brand out (I've also bought a try me size of the original LG from another site to try... I'm not sure whether I'd like the high alcohol content in that)

enjoy your stuff and discovering Alpha H

i want to buy the alpha h anniversary but as i am still using my superdrug goodies i will give this a miss until the next anniversary

i want to buy the alpha h anniversary but as i am still using my superdrug goodies i will give this a miss until the next anniversary

i had a look at the Superdrug stuff the other day,
prompted by your previous post
there are about 3 of their own ranges
which involve acids, resurfacing, glycolics, over night masks, serums with many actives
interesting stuff and well priced and looking barganious at the half price or less deals currently
when i have used my current stuff
i will investigate further
ta ta boffy

Well that was an expensive couple of days! I got the LG rejuvenating cream duo, the spf moisturiser and hand cream set, and the oto of the lip and eye creams.
So excited to try this new to me brand out (I've also bought a try me size of the original LG from another site to try... I'm not sure whether I'd like the high alcohol content in that)

Don't worry too much about the alcohol content, as it's a frequent flier in products aimed at exfoliating without particles. You still must, must, must patch test... what's great for one person doesn't suit another.

I'm a fan of Caroline Hirons' blog as many will realise by now with how frequently I quote her... she's a massive advocate of acid toning in all its forms, and very positive about Liquid Gold.

I've included some quotes from blog posts she's made relating to alcohol in products:

FAQs - Alcohol
After yesterday's post, alcohol was the most-requested topic in the comments...

As you would expect, there are mixed views throughout the industry (and it may well be clear as mud after this post).

Similar to yesterday's 'toxic' conversation, alcohol can also be discussed in terms of dosage.

Alcohol used in cosmetics can be separated into 3 groups:
Simple, Fatty and Aromatic (used in fragrances).

Fatty alcohols are used as emollients. They're thick, wax-like and non-drying. This group includes the most commonly used cetyl alcohol and cetearyl alcohol. This type is used as a thickening agent and helps give products their slip. I think it is unfair to accuse this group of 'cell death'.

Aromatic alcohol - benzyl alcohol, in skincare, is found in the fragrances and outside of that - head lice treatments (eew). It can be an irritant for some, not for others. It is not used in high %s in products and is usually one of the last ingredients listed on the inci list.

Simple alcohol is where the problem lies, and probably where every other alcohol gets its bad name. Used under names such as isopropyl alcohol and denatured alcohol (alcohol denat or SD alcohol) - this used in its strongest form, can be incredibly drying.
Think of the strongest astringent toners aimed at acnaic skins - they are what you don't want on your skin. This type is also used heavily in hand sanitizers, that's why they can be so drying and why I am always asked for hand creams recommendations from people working in places like hospitals.
However, some of the exfoliating toners that I use do contain alcohol and used sporadically, my skin has no issue with it.

In short, not all alcohols are created the same. Keep an eye out for astringents, and don't be overly concerned with the fatty alcohols you generally see listed in face creams and cleansers.
Just bear in mind, if it's the first thing on the ingredient list it's probably nail polish remover!

a quote from a review of Radical Skincare Age Defying Exfoliator Pads:

Possibly acne/allergy/troubling for some ingredients?
essential oils
alcohol - although most acid toners need either alcohol, witch hazel or vinegar for the acids. It is worth bearing in mind that alcohols used with acids have a different effect on the skin than astringent 'toners' where alcohol is the first or second ingredient, and you can literally feel your face drying out out as you swipe.
A useful VT of Caroline with Tom Ogden
A couple of useful blogs - Acid Toners
Acne and a quote from this last one...
Avoid too much alcohol in products. A 'tingle' is ok. A 'burning' is not. Products where the main ingredient listed is alcohol will dry out the surface of your skin, destroy the acid mantle and make the perfect breeding ground. However: alcohol is sometimes a necessary evil for suspending things like glycolic acid in a solution - where they would normally not work as well.
(See Liquid Gold as an example - the glycolic benefits override the alcohol) It can be confusing but its a case-by-case basis.
Clinic lessons (she doesn't do clinics so much these days, unfortunately) - with a great quote which gets to the heart of the issue about what Liquid Gold is...
Liquid Gold is not a toner peeps. It's about as high a strength glycolic as you can get without a prescription. Once/ twice a week is fine. Calm down. Before your face falls off.

Patch test behind your ear (close to face and not noticeable if you have a reaction) for 24 hours before putting it on your face - unless you veil your face, if you have a reaction you do not have anywhere to hide.

I was staggered by the difference using Liquid Gold as directed made to my face. I never use it day in day out, but I do use it at least twice a month. If you find your skin needs more moisture (the acids in LG do actually promote moisture in your skin) you could cleanse and LG your skin when you get in from a day out (work or other, but where you're not planning on going out again). Then if you skin feels like it needs it, apply a moisturiser before you turn in for the night. That way you'll have given the LG time to work before you dilute or neutralise its effect.

good stuff MML

for Alpha H newbies
it is also worth mentioning that the Rejuvenating Cream also contains glycolic acid
5% to be precise, not as high as the original Liquid Gold at 10%
but worth keeping that in mind
and taking it easy introducing these

I purchased the special offer they had at the end of last year 3 sizes of the liquid gold.

It just didn't agree with me at all. Flare up big time, so that was and expensive lesson for me.

I purchased the special offer they had at the end of last year 3 sizes of the liquid gold.

It just didn't agree with me at all. Flare up big time, so that was and expensive lesson for me.

I hope you returned it. That was the unexpected extra TSV, wasn't it?

Not every product suits every skin, which is why the patch test is sooo important. I hope your quest for effective skincare has been more successful elsewhere. You might be OK with one of the other acids.

Amongst the many posts I am forever quoting from Caroline Hirons she does list the different types of acid... so if glycolic is no good for you, there are others you can explore to find one that gives you what you need...
Lactic (AHA) - resurfacing, great for dehydrated and dry skin.
Glycolic (AHA) - stimulating for better collagen production, resurfacing.
Malic (AHA) - resurfacing, good for boosting collagen production
Salicylic (BHA) - best for spots/acne. Surprisingly gentle.
PHA's (Poly hydroxy acids) - best for those in need of hydration and deep penetration of product afterwards.

Last edited:
My skin looks a lot better since I gave up moisturising it at night. I cleanse it then in the morning cleanse again and if it feels dry I put on some moisturiser. I use the Alpha H liquid gold at night perhaps twice a week. Hardly ever wear any foundation as I work from home and I like my natural colouring.

Thank you for all the info maymorganlondon!
I will do a patch test as advised!
I've heard the rejuvenating cream can be potent too, so I'll take it step by step introducing it into my very basic Liz Earle cleansing routine.
I am mega excited to begin this journey... At 37 I've noticed my skin has started to change and I want to give myself the best shot at good skin for the future!
For those requested I will update on the sofa handcream when it arrives ( may be a while as its on advanced orders and I live abroad!)

By the way, good news, and I'm pleased I'm wrong about QVC being quick off the mark... a number of Alpha-H products are currently still on 11p p&p if anyone still has items from the visit they want to buy.

Don't worry too much about the alcohol content, as it's a frequent flier in products aimed at exfoliating without particles. You still must, must, must patch test... what's great for one person doesn't suit another.

I'm a fan of Caroline Hirons' blog as many will realise by now with how frequently I quote her... she's a massive advocate of acid toning in all its forms, and very positive about Liquid Gold.

I've included some quotes from blog posts she's made relating to alcohol in products:

a quote from a review of Radical Skincare Age Defying Exfoliator Pads:

A useful VT of Caroline with Tom Ogden
A couple of useful blogs - Acid Toners
Acne and a quote from this last one...
Clinic lessons (she doesn't do clinics so much these days, unfortunately) - with a great quote which gets to the heart of the issue about what Liquid Gold is...

Patch test behind your ear (close to face and not noticeable if you have a reaction) for 24 hours before putting it on your face - unless you veil your face, if you have a reaction you do not have anywhere to hide.

I was staggered by the difference using Liquid Gold as directed made to my face. I never use it day in day out, but I do use it at least twice a month. If you find your skin needs more moisture (the acids in LG do actually promote moisture in your skin) you could cleanse and LG your skin when you get in from a day out (work or other, but where you're not planning on going out again). Then if you skin feels like it needs it, apply a moisturiser before you turn in for the night. That way you'll have given the LG time to work before you dilute or neutralise its effect.

regarding the alcohol stuff from Caroline Hirons
is there no mention of propylene glycol for instance ?

i do take an interest in CH take on things,
but i am also mindful in taking her commercial interests into consideration at the same time
and the potential conflict that lies therein
with clients like Pixi, Zelens et al and all that Gleam Futures stuff
there are a lot of commercial interests to mind
for instance her take on frequent/daily acid toning maybe kept somewhat focussed on immediate benefits
and not on medium and long term issues, like inflammation, thinning of skin etc

I've just started using the age delay night cream. It feels like there's grainy bits in it when I massage it in. A bit like the micro cleanse. Has anyone else who has used this cream experienced this or is it just me?? I've read the reviews on the website and no one mentions this.

I've just started using the age delay night cream. It feels like there's grainy bits in it when I massage it in. A bit like the micro cleanse. Has anyone else who has used this cream experienced this or is it just me?? I've read the reviews on the website and no one mentions this.
Yes I've noticed this too, bought the duo last year. This wasn't the case before and the older version was a distinct yellow colour due to the vitamin A content.

regarding the alcohol stuff from Caroline Hirons
is there no mention of propylene glycol for instance ?

i do take an interest in CH take on things,
but i am also mindful in taking her commercial interests into consideration at the same time
and the potential conflict that lies therein
with clients like Pixi, Zelens et al and all that Gleam Futures stuff
there are a lot of commercial interests to mind
for instance her take on frequent/daily acid toning maybe kept somewhat focussed on immediate benefits
and not on medium and long term issues, like inflammation, thinning of skin etc

No longer has Zelens as a client - from blog post dated 29 November 2015
No affiliate links and I have not worked with Dr Lens since Dec 2013.
and from blog post dated 3 March 2016
Not a sponsored post. I have no business relationship with Zelens and haven't had for over two years so chill your tits.
Some links may be affiliates.

Obviously Pixi are a very definite current client.

More about her stance on sponsored posts etc can be found on her blog About me section.

I think she frequently speaks a lot of good sense, and I particularly like her non-beauty posts; but like anything in life, you have to take what you learn and then decide for yourself... either with further investigations of your own, or by trial and error. Blindly following anyone or anything isn't wise whether it's your parents, a self-chosen role model or a shopping channel or who/whatever else.

Latest posts

Back