Ali Keenan's wedding

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Yes, the style of dress was lovely, and really its only the very slender who can carry off this look - although others have tried without success, usually those with fat arms, huge busts and big legs ! not very Audrey Hepburn.

Lucky her to have a QVC photographer at her disposal.

A.Y. Looked like she was wearing her work uniform. I did not like Debbie Flints dress at all and her sandals were awful.

Can someone please point me in the direction of the photos of DG and AY please.

See the link I put in post #37 on the previous page - but to save you scrolling back - here it is:

There are more pictures of guests on Debbie Flint's on this link : https://www.facebook.com/DebbieFlintQVCFanpage/posts/849224901826828

It's from her QVC twitter feed and links to her facebook page. As I'm on neither - it should work for one and all.

I don't think Ali K had any problem with pictures going up straightaway - taken from her most recent blog post:

Debbie probably only has pictures of when she was at the wedding (unless she has culled some from the QVC photographer's stash).

I don't like Debbie's dress very much, but she does look smart and like she's made an effort.

For those who are interested - from both Ali K's references, and Debbie's - wedding was definitely in Bray in Berkshire. Church wedding at St Michaels, and then reception at Monkey Island Hotel.

Blimey, Gill Gaunt, Lee wotsits and stroky Suzie got invites too ! sorry but I thought Goody looked even more masculine than normal. A lot of interesting photos though.

See the link I put in post #37 on the previous page - but to save you scrolling back - here it is:

Thanks for the link - loved seeing all the photos, and Alison looked lovely and very happy. I wish her and Colin all the happiness in the world.

Catherine is holding a gift (wrapped in the pattern iced gems). The pic with Claire she has a shoulder strap Lulu.

Which doesn't go at all in my opinion! As for hats, I think they should be worn at every opportunity! I had one on the last couple of days, a summer Fedora. I get lots of compliments. I don't know why people are so scared of hats!

Ali looked absolutely gorgeous! What a stunning and very flattering dress. I hope they have a very happy life together. He looks quite handsome from what I can see :mysmilie_17:

You are all probably going to have a rant at me, BUT although Ali looked nice, what bride doesn't, I think her dress was inapproporiate white lace for goodness sake, second marriage and all, wouldn't soft cream have been better, or dusty pink, and the style for me was a no no, too Olivier Newton-John in grease.

No-one seems to care or bother these days about the 'niceties or protocol' at weddings, especially second plus weddings; even male guests now turn up without a tie, and sometimes in jeans with shirts hanging out ! and as for the way some women dress - well, big fat gypsy wedding springs to mind, the tighter the dress the better with as much flesh exposed as possible.

In fact I'm not a great fan of weddings per se, yes a lot of brides do look nice, but the fashion for sleeveless wedding gowns has seen a plethora of overlarge brides who should not be wearing them ! - and I've seen my fair share of plump backs and flabby arms overspilling the top of the dresses. Then its hanging around waiting to be fed at the reception (usually hours after an early breakfast), the corny jokes in the speeches, followed by a blaringly loud disco where the DJ insists on playing the music HE likes and bugger anyone else and its impossible to hold a conversation, finally the relief of making an escape to go home !

my eldest daughter got married in barbados against my wishes because in the heat i would not be able to dress how i would like. so i was very casual as mother of the bride. an ingenue copy of a famous desiger dress with a fascinator from debenhams.

she then did a reception where we live in a london hotel and i was able to wear something much nicer. i had it made specially for me. a lace emmanuel ungaro effort. depends on the wedding imo. alisons wedding seemed quite casual even though she did have quite a bridey dress

I think the important thing for a bride on her special day, is that it is the day she and her groom want to have, surrounded by the people they want to share it with... so the memories they have looking back are good ones.

A lot of wedding conventions are changeable over time - and across countries. Before Queen Victoria, British brides dresses weren't white - and for many the dress was a new "best" dress that would then get worn for other occasions.

I was shocked in the 1990's going to a wedding in The Netherlands... guests wore jeans (addmittedly smart ones) which was not at all what I expected at a wedding. That was my lesson learned, that there is no universal wedding dress code for the bridal party or the rest of the attendees.

Personally, I'm glad hats are now optional - they get in the way of your view at the church or or other venue, and come the evening, unless you're staying at the venue, or travelled by car, there's no where to put the hat, and you've got hat hair to contend with. Just my personal view.

Around 25 years ago I did a college course and one day a fellow mature student asked me had I any plans for the following afternoon ? I told him no I hadn`t so he said ok well meet me in the student bar around 1pm. He wouldn`t tell me anything else except to turn up on time. I got there early ( as I usually do ) and he and his live in girlfriend plus another bloke I didn`t know, dragged us off to the nearby register office, yep it was their wedding day. The groom wore jeans, big black lace up boots, a tatty T shirt and an Army great coat, the bride wore jeans, a not too clean yellow T shirt, trainers and a long wool overcoat which actually resembled a man`s coat. That was it, no guests, no fuss, no makeup, no pre wedding hair appointments, no flowers, no reception and even the wedding ring was a cut price silver band they`d purchased off a market stall. Both the bride and groom were in their mid 30`s, both had been previously married and neither of them gave a toss about anything other than the simple act of tying the knot. Afterwards it was lager and crisps back in the student bar.

Around 25 years ago I did a college course and one day a fellow mature student asked me had I any plans for the following afternoon ? I told him no I hadn`t so he said ok well meet me in the student bar around 1pm. He wouldn`t tell me anything else except to turn up on time. I got there early ( as I usually do ) and he and his live in girlfriend plus another bloke I didn`t know, dragged us off to the nearby register office, yep it was their wedding day. The groom wore jeans, big black lace up boots, a tatty T shirt and an Army great coat, the bride wore jeans, a not too clean yellow T shirt, trainers and a long wool overcoat which actually resembled a man`s coat. That was it, no guests, no fuss, no makeup, no pre wedding hair appointments, no flowers, no reception and even the wedding ring was a cut price silver band they`d purchased off a market stall. Both the bride and groom were in their mid 30`s, both had been previously married and neither of them gave a toss about anything other than the simple act of tying the knot. Afterwards it was lager and crisps back in the student bar.

Reminds me of my guitar teacher and his wife - they took a break from decorating their home to go to the registry office, without changing outfits. I don't think either set of parents was thrilled, but it was their day, and they took the same view as your fellow students, Vienna.

My Oldest Granddaughter got married last month and of course she looked absolutely stunning, the Bridesmaids were gorgeous and the guests looked fabulous. Everyone had dressed to kill the ladies mostly wore hats/ fascinators and the men in suits and ties. Miraculously the sun shone and it was a wonderful day enjoyed by everyone.

Latest posts

Back