Ali K

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

saffie

Registered Shopper
Just had a real close up of THE wedding ring, Not at all impressed, I never thought the engagement ring was much, so I was expecting something stunning re the wedding ring. Also, I find It very strange that after going through her cancer and being soo ill, that she would sit in the sun the way she does.

My wedding ring is plain gold and my engagement ring is a three stone diamond rub-over set ring.

They are both yellow 18ct gold and I chose them deliberately to be plain so that I could wear them all the time.

If I want 'showy' then I can get out other rings but I wanted my engagement and wedding rings to be traditional enough to stand the test of time.

Just had a real close up of THE wedding ring, Not at all impressed, I never thought the engagement ring was much, so I was expecting something stunning re the wedding ring. Also, I find It very strange that after going through her cancer and being soo ill, that she would sit in the sun the way she does.

I think having cancer might reinforce her choice to do the things she loves, as you have no guarantees about what might be around the corner. Carpe diem and all that. I bet she also doesn't save things for "best"....

A cancer diagnosis affects everyone differently - some people will take more risks, and others make the opposite choice.

Oh I have to agree, I've got a one carat diamond bezel set 18ct gold engagement ring and full eternity/wedding ring with Swiss set diamonds in 18 carat yellow gold also totalling one carat, I can wear mine every day with comfort, I don't wear any other jewellery so all the bling has to go in to those two rings, I also agree about the sun bathing, my dad died of skin cancer and so did a friend that lives round the corner from me too. You should go in the sun unprotected to top up your Vit D levels, for twenty minutes max, but any more than that and you could be signing your own death warrant. It's a silly thing to do and as someone once stated on here that fat people are a drain on the NHS, well so are people that deliberately contribute to life threatening conditions, health problems that could easily be avoided, why would anyone want to dice with death is beyond me.

Ali showed her ring properly towards end of OPI show and it is anything but plain!!!! It is not just a plain band!

Ali has been confronted with a life threatening illness, her own mortality. She is a lovely, amiable lady, for whom I have immense admiration and respect. I am sure her ordeal has put things into perspective and, being concerned with what her rings look like, and how much they cost, will be so superficial to her. I don't feel I am in any position, to be judgemental about the way anyone chooses to live, unless their behaviour is illegal.
It is so refreshingly welcome, to see Ali back.

Rings are such a personal thing and whether it`s understated, overstated, in your face or almost invisible, it`s what it symbolises which matters most.
Many a man takes the bull by the horns and actually chooses an Engagement ring before he proposes and I daresay there`s many a woman wearing a ring which she herself would not have chosen. If my husband had proposed with a ring, then love it or hate it, I would have worn it. Thankfully he didn`t.
Show 99% of men a window full of diamond rings and firstly they`ll look at the price then secondly they`d look at solitaires and little else. I have a friend who works in a jewellers, has done for over 30 years and in all those years she`s had many men come looking to buy an ER, especially around Christmas or Valentine day and very rarely do they ever look past a plain solitaire and only if their future wife has perhaps previously hinted at what they`d choose for themselves.
Wedding rings are a different kettle of fish, I daresay almost every bride chooses her own and to her own taste. Ali is obviously very happy with hers and that`s all which matters.

Totally agree, jewellery is definitely each to their own, small/big, classic/contemporary, they all mean the same thing. Me and husband picked our rings together.............wow that's going back a bit.

I adore my engagement but most people think its too big and too bling. More like a cocktail ring. Its morganite and diamond in Rose gold and it was made for me. Its my ring. Its very me. And I love it. :eek:)

I think having cancer might reinforce her choice to do the things she loves, as you have no guarantees about what might be around the corner. Carpe diem and all that. I bet she also doesn't save things for "best"....

A cancer diagnosis affects everyone differently - some people will take more risks, and others make the opposite choice.

I also had similar thoughts to Saffie that despite her health issues, Ali is playing Russian roulette with her sun tanning regime (personally I think she's overdone it this time). However, I have to agree with MMMG above, as I saw for myself a loved one who went through sheer hell with oesophageal cancer, as a result of a lifetime of heavy wine drinking and smoking - and yet still carried on in the same way. He had the attitude that what was done was done, and what was the point of living what was left of his life depriving himself of the things he enjoyed.

I have often wondered, I recall when Ali and her husband split, it was said at the time it was because she was having an affair, and I just got to wondering if that affair ended, or was it Colin she was having he affair with before her divorce - just curious, if anyone knows.

My wedding ring is 18ct yellow gold, victorian design of oranges encircled all around, and my engagement ring is a large sapphire with two large diamonds on either side. Both were very expensive when we got engaged and chose our wedding rings, but my husband earned good money so he could afford it. I can honestly say both rings look as good today as they did then. I got engaged on my birthday in 1969, we were married in July 1970, I remember that day with so much pleasure, one of the best days of my life, and now as I type, I'm getting very nostalgic.

I was 17 when I got engaged to my first husband. My ring was a tiny cluster, it had diamond chips in it, not even whole diamonds, it cost £32 and the day we got engaged i suddenly became left handed. Picked my glass up left handed, talked left handed, blew my nose left handed, in fact did everything left handed because my little tiny ring meant as much to me as the Crown jewels and I wanted everybody to notice it, even if they needed a magnifying glass to see it. Twenty five years later it was too well worn to wear, the shoulders had snapped on one side and the shank had worn so thin it was as sharp as a razor blade so for our Silver Anniversary we bought a beautiful matching engagement ring and diamond wedding band. I loved them but the emotional attachment wasn`t the same as it had been with my 1st ring.
My first husband died 10 years ago and I remarried 3 years ago. My engagement ring is a one off, a jeweller friend of my husband made it for me and most people think the centre stone is a pale pink sapphire but its actually a natural GIA certificated pink diamond, in an edwardian style setting of white diamonds. It`s lovely but I only wear it when I`m going out because it doesn`t seem to fit the image of jeans and T shirts, walking a wet smelly labrador over the fields and pegging out the laundry etc. Some days I wish I`d chosen a simple understated solitaire !

My wedding ring in 1979 was a very 'on trend' Russian w/ring. 3 colours 3 rings all linked together. I remember at the Registry Office the Registrar pushed forward the cushion with my ring on for my new husband to place it on my finger, he picked it up, and what did he say "oh, its all fell to bits" - not what he was supposed to say on our wedding day and of course it hadn't - those behind us were wetting themselves, and I just glared at him !

My Engagement ring is a tiny solitaire as we were so young and didn't have a lot of money so when I chose my Wedding ring I got a 22ct plain solid gold ring. Although my engagement ring is now quite frail and lives in my jewellery box and I wear a three stone replacement which was a gift on our 50th Anniversary my wedding ring still looks good after 53 years of wear. It's such a personal thing and we all choose what is right for ourselves not to please others.

I remember meeting the son and girlfriend of a friend of mine - they had just come from buying an engagement ring. They were post-grad students with a limited budget and the ring they could afford was made of silver and had a Celtic design - they both loved it so that's all that mattered. It's what the ring represents that matters the most, surely?

Anyway, one man's 'bling' is another man's 'tacky'...

As to the sunbathing - I'm sure Alison's oncologist will have noticed her tan (you can't miss it) and discussed the pros and cons of going out in the sun - I do think that once you've had a life threatening illness your views on what's important do change... Alison probably thinks that the pleasure she gets from her time in the sun outweighs the risk that sunbathing brings. She is the only one that can truly make that call.

I know I need to lose weight (as we have a strong history of strokes in our family) BUT that chocolate cake just calls to me and I can't help myself... isn't that the same thing just with a different vice :mysmilie_5:?

I'm not, nor have ever been, engaged or married but I thought the point of rings to mark those occasions was to represent a commitment to someone, not to be 'impressive'? Whatever a couple chooses for their wedding jewellery, surely, that's perfectly fine?

I was 17 when I got engaged to my first husband. My ring was a tiny cluster, it had diamond chips in it, not even whole diamonds, it cost £32 and the day we got engaged i suddenly became left handed. Picked my glass up left handed, talked left handed, blew my nose left handed, in fact did everything left handed because my little tiny ring meant as much to me as the Crown jewels and I wanted everybody to notice it, even if they needed a magnifying glass to see it. Twenty five years later it was too well worn to wear, the shoulders had snapped on one side and the shank had worn so thin it was as sharp as a razor blade so for our Silver Anniversary we bought a beautiful matching engagement ring and diamond wedding band. I loved them but the emotional attachment wasn`t the same as it had been with my 1st ring.
My first husband died 10 years ago and I remarried 3 years ago. My engagement ring is a one off, a jeweller friend of my husband made it for me and most people think the centre stone is a pale pink sapphire but its actually a natural GIA certificated pink diamond, in an edwardian style setting of white diamonds. It`s lovely but I only wear it when I`m going out because it doesn`t seem to fit the image of jeans and T shirts, walking a wet smelly labrador over the fields and pegging out the laundry etc. Some days I wish I`d chosen a simple understated solitaire !

That sounds gorgeous. I have never married, did have a close call but thankfully it did not happen as we split anyway. Okay, I do not like diamonds as such, I love colour! When a teenager used to look in a high end jewellers in Belfast called Lunns(still look), and it was the rubies, emeralds and aquamarines I wanted. They do have untreated pink diamonds and I was quite surprised at them, as they are a pale pink/peach, they have yellow,blue,cinnamon and orange diamonds all gorgeous. As for the dazzling white ones, I walk passed that window without interest.

I did see AK in the OPI show and thought, that is not a fake tan. But at the end of the day its Ali's decision if she wants a real tan or not.

Your ring sound beautiful, you should wear it every day, admire it and love it because we never know what's round the corner.

Latest posts

Back