After me everybody - MICEAL - how hard can it be!

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I agree with what's been said, and I hate all the pretentious made-up spellings of names these days. However, I do think Micael is an Irish/Gaelic name.

I get called a totally different name (Natalie rather than Natasha) which is even more annoying :banghead::banghead: people are so lazy! :rolleyes:

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

I used to work for a man who very occasionally used to call me Felicity. Not my name and nothing like my name. One day I said that I'd noticed he occasionally called me Felicity. He said I know but I've noticed you always answer anyway ... lol

My name is Anne and I'm very particular about my "e"!
I read a letter in a magazine from a lady called Anne who was also particular about the e and would give her name as "Anne with an e" but subsequently received post addressed to "Ann Withany-Smith"!

I don't know what part of Ireland Miceal is from. The name is Irish for Michael, but usually spelt MICHEAL. Our area is a big irish speaking part of the country and there are Micheals all over the place, along with Padraic (Patrick in irish), Seamus (James in irish) and loads more. Maybe his parents just wanted to be slightly different.

Ive always thought Natasha is a beautiful name-lucky you!

Thanks Bauble!! I hated it growing up, just wanted to be a a Louise or something, but I grew to be proud of it, lol.

I don't know what part of Ireland Miceal is from. The name is Irish for Michael, but usually spelt MICHEAL. Our area is a big irish speaking part of the country and there are Micheals all over the place, along with Padraic (Patrick in irish), Seamus (James in irish) and loads more. Maybe his parents just wanted to be slightly different.

I knew of one in N.I but I can't remember how he spelt it.

My surname has an unusual spelling and I'm used to it being wrong. It doesn't bother me particularly. I'm sure he's used it it.

same here. as for miceal - never come across it my whole life so multicultural society is irrelevant.

My name is Anne and I'm very particular about my "e"!

My son is Michael, and it drives me doolally when people spell it Micheal. It's such a traditional name uncomplicated name, how can anyone possibly spell it wrong?!

I don't really watch that much QVC these days, but have seen Miceal's name on the forum here a lot and have often wondered to myself how the heck to pronounce it. And now I know. :)

your post reminds me, the logical thing to think is it's some weird spelling of michael. if i had to guess, that's how i'd pronounce it.

I read a letter in a magazine from a lady called Anne who was also particular about the e and would give her name as "Anne with an e" but subsequently received post addressed to "Ann Withany-Smith"!

reminds me of my friend surname Waters (not Walters) one day got a letter addressed Firstname Noelle Waters

When I saw Miceal written down, i just thought it was the irish way of spelling Michael and would be pronounced as such. So to infer that we are in some way thick for not knowing it was pronounced Me hall makes a little cross actually. I am an Ann with no E. I just say Ann without the additives!

Hasn't Miceal been known by another name? I had a feeling he'd been on TV either here or in Ireland under a different first name but a quick look on his website and I couldn't see any reference to it. Is he really 40?

Jude xx

edit: his surname was different Miceal McBrian...wonder why the change?

Last edited:
I was at a small "do" a few months ago and there were two of us there called Anne, although she didn't have an "e". She was trying to suggest that as she didn't have a middle name that I be called by my middle name for the duration. ****** cheek! It was the first time I'd met her too, and I wasn't having any of that. In the end some bright spark suggested that we be called "E" and "No E", which I thought was actually quite funny, but strangely it didn't catch on. :)

I was born in 1952 and have eight friends called Elizabeth - even one who was born less than 12 hours after the Queen came to the throne. It was very confusing at school!

Seeing it written as Miceal, what is easy about pronouncing it as Mee-Hall until Miceal says it? :confused:

Sometimes I'm not sure if he's saying Mee Haw. I seem to remember even the other presenters had a variety of pronunciations when Miceal was new.

Once you've heard it pronounced - then it should be easy - assuming you can remember it - which I would make the effort to do if he was someone I came into contact physically with as a friend or colleague on a daily basis.

Well I must be thick cos I didn't know how to pronounce it either!

nor me, but then I don't speak irish so I wasn't worried about it ! I have a russian surname and have given up all hope of anyone other than family and close friends being able to pronounce it. Ho hum, there're worse things in life !

Linda xx

nor me, but then I don't speak irish so I wasn't worried about it ! I have a russian surname and have given up all hope of anyone other than family and close friends being able to pronounce it. Ho hum, there're worse things in life !

Linda xx

Exactly. What a fuss about nowt.

My maiden name is irish. Growing up in the UK and going to school was difficult to say the least!! I was really glad to get rid of it. It didn't help that my first name is not a common one either.

I was going to post something similar recently. All the posts with an apologetic 'Mickale (sorry, don't know how to spell it)' were starting to grate, it's really not that hard. Now if you want some awesome Irish unspellable and unpronouceable names I give you Sadhbh, Maedhb, Grainne and Seoirse = )

My DD's friend is called Grainne (Gronya).

In my class at school there were no names, unlike today, with the eeeeeee sounding at the end. There was Ingrid, Pauline, Susan, Janet, Christine, Tina, Anne, Carol, Elizabeth, Margaret, Jane, Sandra, Jean...............

I've been a 'plain' Linda for 64 years, but I still get asked..... "Linda with an i or a y ?"

:angel::wave:

Latest posts

Back