Advice on sending Christmas gifts

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

maymorganlondon

Registered Shopper
Hi there
I am after a bit of advice... I know Hermes have a collection and delivery service, if you open an account with them - and I dare say their partnership with QVC has helped them to grow that enormously...

I've got presents to send including fragrance, shower gels and such like (mostly but not only L'Occitane presents which I've made up from purchases on QVC)... and I'm not sure what's the best, and most affordable way to do it.

So I'm hoping someone has had good experiences and good advice I can benefit from.

Are Hermes a good choice, or would Royal Mail or ParcelForce be better... or is there someone else who you would recommend?

I've not packed everything up yet, but would I be right to assume I need to measure and weigh my parcels to get a quote?

Is it better to take a parcel to a drop-off point?

Any and all advice gratefully received :happy::happy:

I don't have vast experience but I have sold quite a bit of the sort of thing you are talking about on eBay. I've only used Hermes once or twice - generally for larger things as over a certain size and weight, Royal Mail goes up to about £15 where it's about half that on Hermes. I think all carriers are hit and miss but I've been generally lucky with Royal Mail and Hermes (touch wood). For what it's worth:

Hermes
* As I say, I've found them more competitive for larger items (eg a child's car seat).
* I used local newsagents who take items for drop-off and are very efficient - saves waiting in too.

Post Office
* You can get quite a lot in a "small parcel" for £2.80 2nd class, £3.30 1st. See max size and weight here.
* If the contents are worth more than £20, I would personally pay for the Signed For service (an extra £1.10) which gives you greater compensation if anything happens.
* I have sent perfume with Royal Mail - their T&Cs say it can only be unopened/sealed packages and I think up to 150ml - see rules regarding flammable liquids here and restricted goods list.

Big downside is PO queues this time of year! If I think of anything else, I'll let you know.

I was amazed today when I looked up on the PO website how much registered post cost.

It no longer exists!!!!!

An ordinary 1st or 2nd class stamp gives compensation up to £50 if it gets lost, but you HAVE to have proof of the contents. You also get your postage back. I thought the compensation had gone down from £28 to £20 (as stated above) but that's what their website says.

To get compensation over £50 you need one of their special delivery options, which give fast delivery, whether you want fast delivery or not (I didn't). So you have to pay for something you don't want. My item will easily fit into an ordinary small envelope, but is worth £150, so would cost a minimum of £6-95.

BTW if anyone is interested - - - - - the items are the new solid silver £50 coins, which I was going to send to my grown-up grandchildren. They can decide whether to save them, or just spend them because they are legal tender. They come from the Royal Mint and you only pay the face value, with free postage as they are over £45. Mine came very quickly, by signed for Royal Mail. They look very nice. as they are sealed into packs and are "brilliant uncirculated" quality, as used by collectors.

BTW if anyone is interested - - - - - the items are the new solid silver £50 coins, which I was going to send to my grown-up grandchildren. They can decide whether to save them, or just spend them because they are legal tender. They come from the Royal Mint and you only pay the face value, with free postage as they are over £45. Mine came very quickly, by signed for Royal Mail. They look very nice. as they are sealed into packs and are "brilliant uncirculated" quality, as used by collectors.

I like the sound of those coins. I think I'll get a couple. Thanks!

CORRECTION - - - - - - I was sure it said £20 compensation for normal post, but just had another look and it is only £20.

It is £50 for "signed for" mail, which costs £1-64 or £1-73 for 2nd and 1st class post.

I'll be wanting more than £50 covered - one gift is more than £80 on its own...

Oh dear, MML - been spoiling the teachers at the kids' private school again, have we? Molton Brown gift sets for all their cloakrooms? :mysmilie_17:

I imagine you have seen already but you can put in your level of cover for parcel contents on the Royal Mail Price Finder page here. Needless to say, the price will go up but you get tracking and peace of mind.

Oh dear, MML - been spoiling the teachers at the kids' private school again, have we? Molton Brown gift sets for all their cloakrooms? :mysmilie_17:

I imagine you have seen already but you can put in your level of cover for parcel contents on the Royal Mail Price Finder page here. Needless to say, the price will go up but you get tracking and peace of mind.

No kids, so no reason to buy teachers any presents (not that I would, anyway)... Nope all family presents.

That's a really great link, so thank you for that... I hadn't seen it.

Registered in now called Signed For, Special Delivery is the one they guaranteed as fully tracked.

By the way if something is lost with Signed For you must wait up to 28 days before opening a claim and it can take a while after that to get any combo.

No kids, so no reason to buy teachers any presents (not that I would, anyway)... Nope all family presents.

That's a really great link, so thank you for that... I hadn't seen it.

For some reason, the price finder page works badly or not at all on my iPad so may be best to use it on a desktop/laptop. Or it could be my iPad.

I've used Collect+ for ebay parcels occassionally and although it has mixed reviews it's worked out ok for me. I can drop parcels at my local Spar, meaning I can go 7 days a week til 10pm.
I'm a big fan of parcelforce consignment, using it mainly for Q returns. MML if you're parcels are going to the same address you could parcel the items individually and the consignment would be roughly £12 for many parcels totaling a couple of kg - the cost is calculated on combined weight not dimensions (like Royal Mail). You can specify your level of cover; I opt for £100 cover on the 48hour option which, as I said, costs roughly £12. You could enquire about the cost for £500 cover. This service, unlike "RM Signed For" is fully tracked throughout its journey so closer to RM "Special Delivery" which is v expensive. Signed For simply shows a package has been delivered, if it's lost in transit there's no way for RM to tell where it was lost.

Latest posts

Back