Accents.

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

BurlyBeaR

Registered Shopper
In light of the fact that QVC employs Scottish accents ( Dawbags, Biagi) Irish accents (Miceal, Carmel), west country accents (Craig), London accents (Flint), Scouse (Greenwood), Manchester (Ballantyne) I'm beginning to wonder why I've been left out. Where is the presenter I'm supposed to identify with? we NEED some Yorkshire on Q and I don't mean in the shape of Adrienne Cleasby. You know what they say about yorkies....
Yorkshire man
Born and bred
Strong in t'arm
Good in..... Ummmmm now what was that last line?

I'm with you on this BB (S.Yorkshire parents) - but as I'm a Kentish lass - next stop France - sadly there are no rounded accents from my part of the world either. However, YOU will have to make 'do' with your Julia, being a Nottingham girl !!!!

Ah but they probably know about the Yorkshire man's short arms & deep pockets.

The origin of copper wire......two Yorkshiremen fighting over a halfpenny.

Anyway, everyone knows that the only good thing to come out of Yorkshire is the road into Lancashire.:happy::happy::cheeky:

I've lived in Sussex for 15 years and I've yet to work out what the Sussex county identity is; coming from a Yorkshire family growing up in Lancashire which both have a strong identity (or stereotype). Is there anyone here from East or West Sussex (or whatever the county was called when you grew up) I'd love to know what I'm missing. I don't want to insult Sussex as I've been happy down here but most of the people I know have moved here from surrounding counties or further afield.

Back to my Yorkshire heritage; I'm not sure a Yorkshireman can depart from their love of calling a spade a spade to stoop to calling a watch a timepiece! My Grandpas and Dad were men of few words; another shoppingtelly handicap I'd have thought!

On to Lancashire, isn't Claire Sutton from Oldham, Bolton or similar? She must have had the elocution with electrocution method to end up with her "homecounties nanny" accent. Living down South I really miss a good meaty consonant! I miss the rolling of Rs and Ls like Hilda Baker!

Jude xx

I've lived in Sussex for 15 years and I've yet to work out what the Sussex county identity is; coming from a Yorkshire family growing up in Lancashire which both have a strong identity (or stereotype). Is there anyone here from East or West Sussex (or whatever the county was called when you grew up) I'd love to know what I'm missing. I don't want to insult Sussex as I've been happy down here but most of the people I know have moved here from surrounding counties or further afield.

Back to my Yorkshire heritage; I'm not sure a Yorkshireman can depart from their love of calling a spade a spade to stoop to calling a watch a timepiece! My Grandpas and Dad were men of few words; another shoppingtelly handicap I'd have thought!

On to Lancashire, isn't Claire Sutton from Oldham, Bolton or similar? She must have had the elocution with electrocution method to end up with her "homecounties nanny" accent. Living down South I really miss a good meaty consonant! I miss the rolling of Rs and Ls like Hilda Baker!

Jude xx

I roll my arse all the time Jude. Oh, R's..... I see.... :wink:
Claire Sutton from Oldham???? Please god no. That's where I live - I've not noticed any blue plaques in her honour anywhere round here.
As for Yorkshire folk calling a spade a spade, in my experience they usually call a spade a '****** shovel'!
And you've surprised me by being darn sarf - I had it in my (albeit tiny) brain that you were from somewhere round Manchester. Obviously dreamt it. :confused:

I'm from South Cumbria and I always thought Adrienne Cleasby was from my part of the world as I have seen her shopping in ASDA when she was visiting her Dad. But I agree there is a dearth of Northerners on QVC.

Unless I've got it wrong (which wouldn't be unusual) I think Claire Sutton is from Sheffield

The Outlaws live near Manchester, Cheshire they'd point out! It's the Man City connection that confused you Ali...most of their fans are from Manchester as my OH and DS are! I'm steeling myself for the Xmas visit to the Outlaws: Mr Akimbo and I are staying in a hotel and the kids with their Manc mates (so as not to put the Mother-in-law to any trouble you understand!). Even so we'll be subjected to several hours of their nauseous medical details over a tea of pink meat* and salad.

Jude xx

Pink meat = anything cold pink and flaccid of animal origin: ham, spam, tongue etc presented for Christmas High Tea at my Nana's in Harrogate Christmas Day, Boxing Day etc until it was all gone! Thanks Goodness for the calories (and booze) in her Christmas Cake (made in September and laced with a dose of brandy everday for 3 months).

The Outlaws live near Manchester, Cheshire they'd point out! It's the Man City connection that confused you Ali...most of their fans are from Manchester as my OH and DS are! I'm steeling myself for the Xmas visit to the Outlaws: Mr Akimbo and I are staying in a hotel and the kids with their Manc mates (so as not to put the Mother-in-law to any trouble you understand!). Even so we'll be subjected to several hours of their nauseous medical details over a tea of pink meat* and salad.

Jude xx

Pink meat = anything cold pink and flaccid of animal origin: ham, spam, tongue etc presented for Christmas High Tea at my Nana's in Harrogate Christmas Day, Boxing Day etc until it was all gone! Thanks Goodness for the calories (and booze) in her Christmas Cake (made in September and laced with a dose of brandy everday for 3 months).

you just reminded my why i'm veggie ;)

Latest posts

Back