A thought, while everyone is spending like mad...

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I must admit I signed up to Shelter because someone stopped me in the street and explained what they did. I didn't hand over my details there and then, I'm not that daft, but it really made me think.

I'm sure I read something about Crisis at Christmas having a tough time getting supplies this year. A friend of mine volunteers every year. Hats off to everyone who volunteers.

For 13 years I was a manager at a homeless hostel run by Salvation Army social services. Often men would arrive on the doorstep having slept rough and owning nothing but a few clothes. The one thing we found more helpful than anything else were donations of soap, toothpaste, razors, shaving foam, shampoo etc etc, anything toiletry. The first thing a man wanted to do was have a bath or shower, have a shave, change of clothes and feel human again. We`d also have men brought to us straight from prison after being released or by the police after being bailed or as a place of safety because they lived with violent or abusive partners, yes men are subjected to domestic violence too. For 13 years I worked over Christmas and New year and we always tried to make Christmas as special as we could for them. The local Rotary club donated a gift for every man, they had the usual turkey dinner and big tins of chocolates were left around for them to help themselves, the only thing not allowed was alcohol. Sadly after many years the Salvation Army hostel I worked at was taken over by an outside agency because of funding cuts.

Thanks everyone for your experiences. I spend ChristmasDay fasting and donate to a local charity, the amount I would have spent on food. TurkeyChocolatesDessert all add up £££. For me, it's a day of NonIndulgence.

I've had a good clear out of the house just recently and donated a huge amount of stuff to http://www.giveandmakeup.com/ which is a really worthwhile cause. If any ladies on here have make up/skincare/haircare stashes that they simply feel they can't use up or don't like/don't want, this place is the way to go with it all.

Vienna. I have been looking for somewhere to donate a load of hubbys unworn clothes. Would the Salvation Army take them? I also want to give my stuff to a woman's refuge. Someone should start a website listing all the charities in specific areas. Maybe people can add to it for their own areas? Hmm...I have just patented/copyrighted that idea (don't know which one it is!!!)

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Thanks to BurlyBear for this thread. I too am guilty af spending far too much but all this talk of 'gifting' and 'stocking presents' at products up to £100! Its obscene. Truly. When I was in my early 20s I spend vast amounts of time in West Africa, Sierra Leone, including Burkina Faso which is often mentioned in Loccitane hours with the Shea butter. Pity some of the presenters did some real travelling not to their holiday homes in Italy and Portugal or like Franks in Florida but to some third world countries maybe make them see that revitalash is a little pricey as a stocking filler present!

ITV's ThisMorning were asking people to consider making a BloodDonation as the reserves are low for Christmas. I used to be a BloodDonor but because of IllHealth, I no longer can. Perhaps someone here, may consider GivingTheGiftOfLife.

Vienna. I have been looking for somewhere to donate a load of hubbys unworn clothes. Would the Salvation Army take them? I also want to give my stuff to a woman's refuge. Someone should start a website listing all the charities in specific areas. Maybe people can add to it for their own areas? Hmm...I have just patented/copyrighted that idea (don't know which one it is!!!)

My hostel would take clothes and shoes Capri but our client base was mainly under 30 years old and quite often people would donate their deceased Uncle Albert`s suits, shirts and cardis which we always accepted with good grace but which were never used because the young men in the hostel simply wouldn`t wear them. Any clothing which was unused was weighed in once a year with the ragman who`d pay us something like 50p a bag and the money was put to good use. Unfortunately cash donations from individuals made out to the Salvation Army had to go to central office and couldn`t be used in our own hostel so if you`re considering donating cash to a local hostel then check first whether they actually get to keep it or not.
People often envisage homeless hostels to be full of little old men, the traditional tramp who`d hit on hard times etc. They are very few and far between these days, most of our clients were young, had drug, mental health, alcohol, behavioural, crime problems, had been released from prison or their familes had thrown them out or were bailed to us from court. A few were victims of domestic violence and a small minority were sex offenders who were not allowed to live unsupervised. We had one or two older guys who were usually suffering from self neglect and had no living relatives.

I have to admit that I don't do a lot with human charities, I'm more of an animal charity person. I do 2 donations a month to a blind and a cancer charity, but I also foster dogs that belong to people (mainly women) who are in a shelter for whatever reason. It started with the animal sanctuary I volunteer for had someone bring their dog in because she couldn't leave the dog with her partner as she was worried that he would harm the dog. So instead of giving the dog up for good I took the dog in until she could get back on her feet. Since then I have done it a few times. The sanctuary does it on an ad hoc basis with a few of the local shelters, but I am pretty sure that there is an actual charity that specifically does fostering in these circumstances.

I think the point I'm trying to make is that even if you can't afford any amount for a donation most charities are always pleased to have volunteers.

I think the point I'm trying to make is that even if you can't afford any amount for a donation most charities are always pleased to have volunteers.[/QUOTE]

We loved people who would volunteer to give up an hour or so over the Christmas and New year period. We staggered the staff rostas so people got at least part of the Christmas Period off but us managers always worked. We used to make a list of volunteers who`d come in for anything from an hour upwards and they`d man the phones, help to serve Christmas lunch, do the washing up, help us with quizzes and games, play table tennis with the men, anything really. If anybody wishes to volunteer locally then you need to contact the organisation around the beginning of November but not all organisations will use volunteers because of safety issues so don`t be offended if you get knocked back, it won`t be personal, it will be their policy, especially if there are vulnerable people or children.

Just got a heartbreaking letter from the Salvation Army, asking me to send a gift and sign a blank christmas
card they sent, so it can go to someone homeless or lonely person. My heart goes out to any one homeless,
and the letter shows they help everyone. Older lonely people, homeless, and families in need, so i think this
is going to be my chosen charity. (The gifts are £11.00 for 2 lunches, £19 box of food and £42 for accomodation)
So sad in this day and age

Last edited:
I've done loads of volunteering in the past, and volunteered recently for a few things.

However, almost everything seems to need a CRB check now, and a separate one for each position. I've had them in the past for jobs that I realise they were necessary, but they are almost a matter of course these days for fairly trivial jobs.

But the crazy thing is, you have to have one for EVERY job, with all the expense and form filling for each one, totally ridiculous.

Just got a heartbreaking letter from the Salvation Army, asking me to send a gift and sign a blank christmas
card they sent, so it can go to someone homeless or lonely person. My heart goes out to any one homeless,
and the letter shows they help everyone. Older lonely people, homeless, and families in need, so i think this
is going to be my chosen charity.
Your local Salvation Army corp ( church ) will be run by an officer in charge who will work alongside other agencies such as social services to find out where a family or individual in need, might be. They`ll also have congregation members who put forward names of a lone adult or OAP who lives near them or who they know about. The corp officers are ministers and work amongst the community supplying food, toys, gifts for whole families who have no money or who have been evicted from their homes and perhaps live in B and B or hostels until rehoused. They try to give some kind of Christmas cheer to people within their own community. If anybody wants to donate a toy or gift suitable for a child or teenager then most corps have someone there most of the time and you can drop it in, dont wrap the gift unless you write on the outside whether its for a boy or girl and which age group or they`ll have to unwrap it.

My hostel would take clothes and shoes Capri but our client base was mainly under 30 years old and quite often people would donate their deceased Uncle Albert`s suits, shirts and cardis which we always accepted with good grace but which were never used because the young men in the hostel simply wouldn`t wear them. Any clothing which was unused was weighed in once a year with the ragman who`d pay us something like 50p a bag and the money was put to good use. Unfortunately cash donations from individuals made out to the Salvation Army had to go to central office and couldn`t be used in our own hostel so if you`re considering donating cash to a local hostel then check first whether they actually get to keep it or not.
People often envisage homeless hostels to be full of little old men, the traditional tramp who`d hit on hard times etc. They are very few and far between these days, most of our clients were young, had drug, mental health, alcohol, behavioural, crime problems, had been released from prison or their familes had thrown them out or were bailed to us from court. A few were victims of domestic violence and a small minority were sex offenders who were not allowed to live unsupervised. We had one or two older guys who were usually suffering from self neglect and had no living relatives.

Thanks Vienna. Hubby is 40 so mainly really nice jeans and shirts from a few years ago when he was (ahem) slimmer, nothing too old! I'll give them a tinkle soon with a view to dropping it all in at the weekend.

I have to admit that I don't do a lot with human charities, I'm more of an animal charity person. I do 2 donations a month to a blind and a cancer charity, but I also foster dogs that belong to people (mainly women) who are in a shelter for whatever reason. It started with the animal sanctuary I volunteer for had someone bring their dog in because she couldn't leave the dog with her partner as she was worried that he would harm the dog. So instead of giving the dog up for good I took the dog in until she could get back on her feet. Since then I have done it a few times. The sanctuary does it on an ad hoc basis with a few of the local shelters, but I am pretty sure that there is an actual charity that specifically does fostering in these circumstances.

I think the point I'm trying to make is that even if you can't afford any amount for a donation most charities are always pleased to have volunteers.

Charlie that's fab. Something I would jump at the chance of doing (for cats too) if hubby was in agreement :rolleyes:

He does like animals but has a much lower tolerance than me of out two pusses and has forbidden me from getting any more :(

I donate to the RSPCA every month and do my bit for the MS Society (dad has it) whenever I can. I am also constantly putting pet food in various charity bins and most of my clothes go to the pdsa. I wish I could make monthly donations to more good causes.

One I have been particularly interested in is visiting the elderly. However, I am useless at commitment and would hate to let anyone down! I did send off for the dementia volunteers info from the government but have heard nothing. Maybe they know I am a flaky, commitmentphobe!!

I've done loads of volunteering in the past, and volunteered recently for a few things.

However, almost everything seems to need a CRB check now, and a separate one for each position. I've had them in the past for jobs that I realise they were necessary, but they are almost a matter of course these days for fairly trivial jobs.

But the crazy thing is, you have to have one for EVERY job, with all the expense and form filling for each one, totally ridiculous.

This is one thing that totally puts me off, too. The bureaucracy is ridiculous.

One I have been particularly interested in is visiting the elderly. However, I am useless at commitment and would hate to let anyone down! I did send off for the dementia volunteers info from the government but have heard nothing. Maybe they know I am a flaky, commitmentphobe!!

I am with you on that, Capirossi. I looked into similar extensively and the schemes local to me wanted car-drivers (my car doesn't lend itself to transporting the elderly or mobility-impaired) and/or ONLY people who would commit to several hours on regular days of the week. I can see why but I know I would have to let them down.

I live in a cul de sac where every ones pretty neighbourly and on first name turns. A few of us call in on and help out a very elderly lady and man who live alone (not together) They cope very well and have paid help with a bit of cleaning and gardening but if anyones popping to the shops we ring and ask if they need anything, or pick up prescriptions and things. Mostly though they love having company for half an hour for a coffee and a chat. Sometimes all it takes is knocking on someones door and introducing yourself.

Bauble what a lovely post. There are a few elderly people nearby who seem so alone, yet seem targeted by drug addicts for lending money and naughty kids, I want to reach out but they are scared, they think everyone wants something from them, its so awful. Different times in my life I have helped. Some periods in life you can help financially, as I can a little bit now, but also times when if I havent had money I try contribute in other ways now I feel no community, I try church, not even a sense of commuity there, we are all seeingly in our homes alone and all terrified, I know I am one. Thanks for this thread, its made me stop the constant shopping and think. Im just sad it will be back to qvc tomorrow, sometimes spending is a comfort, a substitute. I guess QVC know though, they profit out of this loneliness and despair dont they.

Latest posts

Back