A thought, while everyone is spending like mad...

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Bauble what a lovely post. There are a few elderly people nearby who seem so alone, yet seem targeted by drug addicts for lending money and naughty kids, I want to reach out but they are scared, they think everyone wants something from them, its so awful. Different times in my life I have helped. Some periods in life you can help financially, as I can a little bit now, but also times when if I havent had money I try contribute in other ways now I feel no community, I try church, not even a sense of commuity there, we are all seeingly in our homes alone and all terrified, I know I am one. Thanks for this thread, its made me stop the constant shopping and think. Im just sad it will be back to qvc tomorrow, sometimes spending is a comfort, a substitute. I guess QVC know though, they profit out of this loneliness and despair dont they.

Tristar I Understand what you mean. I feel a long way away from my family in terms of where we live and I agree that people have lost a lot of community spirit , probably through moving away for jobs etc. I sincerely hope your situation improves.

At least we have a lovely community on here. We can laugh, take the p***, bicker but at the end of the day we all support each other.

well although I been here a short time, I do feel a sense of community here. QVC are deserving of some real stick, and they get it here!

The dance group that I belong go have decided again not to give Xmas cards to each other, but donate money to a charity. We did help for heroes last year and will decide tomorrow who it will be this year. It's not a lot but as they say every little helps.

There are some really lovely thoughtful people on this Forum, I love witnessing Human kindness in any shape or form, does the heart good, bless you all x

Wow, this really is the most amazing thread! I almost have tears in my eyes (But I'm at work haha!). When we moved over here we had to have a massive clear out so we brought masses to the local charity shops. Funnily enough, we got a snooty reaction from Oxfam, my mother was with me and she picked up on it and told the guy it was all brand new or perfect stuff we were donating. He barely responded and just took the bags! After that we went to the Heart Foundation who were awesome. They ticket all the bags you donate and take your details, when the items are sold they notify you to tell you how much they made from your donations! It's really lovely to get a note in the post saying they've made £50 or £20 or whatever. I have no idea how much Australians give to charity, we do have chuggers that's for sure and I avoid them like the plague. KMart have a wishing tree in every store, you buy a toy and leave it under the tree and they donate to needy families so the husband and I have decided to at least do that. I also have a bag ful of brand new toiletries which I'll be giving to a shelter. I send a whole box to giveandmakeup before we moved, it felt so good!

you are all lovely lovely people = )

Tx

Wow, this really is the most amazing thread! I almost have tears in my eyes (But I'm at work haha!). When we moved over here we had to have a massive clear out so we brought masses to the local charity shops. Funnily enough, we got a snooty reaction from Oxfam, my mother was with me and she picked up on it and told the guy it was all brand new or perfect stuff we were donating. He barely responded and just took the bags! After that we went to the Heart Foundation who were awesome. They ticket all the bags you donate and take your details, when the items are sold they notify you to tell you how much they made from your donations! It's really lovely to get a note in the post saying they've made £50 or £20 or whatever. I have no idea how much Australians give to charity, we do have chuggers that's for sure and I avoid them like the plague. KMart have a wishing tree in every store, you buy a toy and leave it under the tree and they donate to needy families so the husband and I have decided to at least do that. I also have a bag ful of brand new toiletries which I'll be giving to a shelter. I send a whole box to giveandmakeup before we moved, it felt so good!

you are all lovely lovely people = )

Tx

What's a chugger?

What's a chugger?

One of those (usually quite young) people who stand on the High Street and accost you when you are rushing around and try to get you to sign up for regular donations to whichever charity they are promoting. I think "chugger" is a contraction of "charity mugger".

tears in my eyes here too......

just wanted to repeat what snarly said about blood donation which really can mean the gift of life. i've seen it from both angles, having received 3 emergency transfusions and also having worked in a transfusion laboratory for many years. this time of year, the blood stocks get dangerously low because people have their minds on other things. every bank holiday makes the stocks run low so xmas is a double whammy. unfortunately, people like me who've received blood can't donate so more and more potential donors are ruled out.

i've also found the info about volunteering for the sally army and crisis at christmas very helpful. a few years ago i decided that was how i wanted to spend xmas day and despite a lot of trying, just couldn't find anf information.

also, tristar - was very surprised to hear you found no community spirit within the church. i'm not a religious person but had always assumed sad or needy people could find great comfort from their church.

Sadly I can no longer give blood because of a past illness. When I first began working ( many years ago ) we had a mobile unit which came to my workplace about twice a year but I never hear of them these days. Do they still exist ?

Yes they still exist,have been donating blood for 20 years,my daughter came with me for the first time last year sadly it ended badly for her,as she fainted with a cup of boiling water in her hand ended up in hospital with a scalded leg and large bump on her head,needless to say it has put her off.
Lynn

we always called them the bloodmobile and still going strong. sorry to hear abut your daughter LOTL

donna255;62511The directors of the charities all drive high end cars supplied by said charity. So most of the money you give goes on admin. I believe Oxfam its 10p for every £1 you give actually goes to helping anyone.[/QUOTE said:
http://www.oxfam.org.uk/donate/how-we-spend-your-money This link shows where the money goes. I have no idea what other charities do with their money, as I have not done the necessary research, but, without making sweeping statements, I'd guess they are all accountable and the facts and figures will be available.

I was shopping in Asda today and I met these people http://www.freedomprojectireland.com/ It's a new initiative and I was glad I could support them.

Latest posts

Back