2 Yankee Candle questions

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Prices Open Window is far superior to Yankees Clean Cotton IMO. A hell of a lot cheaper as well.

i like prices. the scents are quite grown up and even though the tumblers are not huge you get a lot of burn time well over the 40 hours. they pool nicely to.

I am not a candle fan, they smell like paraffin and affect my asthma. I like True Rose in the Reed diffusers lot better for me. I use clean cotton or baby powder in wardrobes and airing cupboard, as I find the scent better unlit but that is just me.

I'm with Donna. None of their lavender candles smells anything like the lavender plants in my garden. I don't like jasmine at all but I really surprised myself recently as I burnt a rogue midnight jasmine votive in the kitchen and I really liked it! So to my mind that isn't true to life at all. The real stuff and any perfumes with it in gives me a banging headache.

I wouldn't buy any candle without having a sniff first. Votives and melts are the best to try a fragrance.

And I love Baby Powder but I don't actually think it smells like actual baby powder.

if you go to a shop to have a sniff, don't sniff the jar, sniff the lid. The actual candle will smell overwhelmingly strong and horrible, the lid will smell more like it does when you burn it. I find ebay has better prices and a better selection than qvc

Try Red Raspberry. It's wonderful. Or go through every recommendation in this thread in a votive or a tart before buying a large or medium jar.

Thanks all for the illuminating replies, I am totally confused, as I would have thought that something like the 'baby powder' or 'clean cotton' would be the suggested ones for 'first timers' but I see from some poster's that these are perhaps not the best, I will do as people have said and find a local Clinton and do a 'smell test'. I was curious about village candles, as we have a concession in a shop in the local town where I live and to all intents and purposes they look like a official 'knocked-off' version of 'Yankee', I may therefore be tempted just to try one their tea light and a similar fragrance of Yankee candles and see what's what.
but thanks all for the posts.

Thanks all for the illuminating replies, I am totally confused, as I would have thought that something like the 'baby powder' or 'clean cotton' would be the suggested ones for 'first timers' but I see from some poster's that these are perhaps not the best, I will do as people have said and find a local Clinton and do a 'smell test'. I was curious about village candles, as we have a concession in a shop in the local town where I live and to all intents and purposes they look like a official 'knocked-off' version of 'Yankee', I may therefore be tempted just to try one their tea light and a similar fragrance of Yankee candles and see what's what.

:mysmilie_13:

Your nose and sense of smell will be as individual as you are. Unfortunately while you can get recommendations, that won't necessarily lead you scents you love. You may love the same ones some of us loathe... and that's alright.

If you have a John Lewis Dept store near you - they normally have a superb candles section (no YC though), and could give you a good idea of which scent "families" are your preference.

Good luck!!!!!

t lights wont give you hardly any scent! invest in a tart burner from yankee and some tarts. you will always use this system even if you buy jars in the future. buy a tart in the fresh, fruit, floral and food (usually bakery cakes etc) avoid t lights waste of money initially. oh and village are supposed to be good and cheaper than yankees. but never used them. they also sell tarts

t lights wont give you hardly any scent! invest in a tart burner from yankee and some tarts. you will always use this system even if you buy jars in the future. buy a tart in the fresh, fruit, floral and food (usually bakery cakes etc) avoid t lights waste of money initially. oh and village are supposed to be good and cheaper than yankees. but never used them. they also sell tarts

Maybe not even from Yankee - if you google I am sure you will find other makes just as good. Mind you, if you try but then decide candles or melts aren't really your thing after all, you'll need to get rid.

I would agree with Boffy that you don't always get a strong scent, or very much throw, from the tea-lights but you will get an idea without having made any serious commitment. The best scent and throw (quickest, and less distorted by naked flame) undoubtedly is the melts/tarts. They are also the cheapest once you have a tart warmer/burner.

Maybe not even from Yankee - if you google I am sure you will find other makes just as good. Mind you, if you try but then decide candles or melts aren't really your thing after all, you'll need to get rid.

I would agree with Boffy that you don't always get a strong scent, or very much throw, from the tea-lights but you will get an idea without having made any serious commitment. The best scent and throw (quickest, and less distorted by naked flame) undoubtedly is the melts/tarts. They are also the cheapest once you have a tart warmer/burner.

tarts are a more cost effective way to try and a box of the overpriced yankee t lights costing over £7. this could will buy a modest tart burner and a few tarts to try. depending on where you buy from.

I'm with Boffy and other posters, if you really fancy getting into Yankee Candles, invest in a nice tart burner (Village Candles are cheaper than Yankee, and just as pretty) and try a few of the tarts before buying any large jars. Generally, the Yankee scents are true to life, and I particularly liked Vanilla Lime, True Rose and Blueberry Muffin - but everyone's different! lol
I'm not keen on Village Candles, they are cheaper, but to me there's an artificial afterscent that I don't like - but look in TKMaxx or HomeSense if there are stores near you because they stock some very good candle brands at fab prices :happy:

I have a Yankee electric tart burner from QVC. In fact I have two. I prefer the electric ones because they are safer to my mind than having night lights burning.

Tesco and Asda both have the Glade Electric Warmers for £6 atm they are fantastic especially for newbies :)

http://www.tesco.com/groceries/product/details/?id=289847857

Yes thanks to Autumn I bought a Glade melt warmer for £6 from Asda yesterday, it is not the best looking one I have ever seen but it is a nice small size and excellent value, they are selling little square melts £2.50 for 6, only four different scents at present but perhaps they will introduce some more, am sure they would be fine for a Yankee melt, think they go up to£17 next week

Yes thanks to Autumn I bought a Glade melt warmer for £6 from Asda yesterday, it is not the best looking one I have ever seen but it is a nice small size and excellent value, they are selling little square melts £2.50 for 6, only four different scents at present but perhaps they will introduce some more, am sure they would be fine for a Yankee melt, think they go up to£17 next week

Ive used a YC tart in mine and it works fine, I also bought the Glade Sandalwood and Jasmine melts, they are very strong but smell of Vanilla which i dont mind but it wasnt what i was expecting lol

Ive used a YC tart in mine and it works fine, I also bought the Glade Sandalwood and Jasmine melts, they are very strong but smell of Vanilla which i dont mind but it wasnt what i was expecting lol

Oh funny enough I did not buy the vanilla and magnolia ones as I am not keen on vanilla but loved the sound of the sandalwood and jasmine ones so got some of those, the clean linen one smells like Yankee's clean cotton to me, but suppose that is not surprising given it's name :mysmilie_59:, all in all am very pleased with my purchase and am getting more scent from this than some of the newer Yankee scents in the large jars I have bought and been so disappointed with lately

Oh funny enough I did not buy the vanilla and magnolia ones as I am not keen on vanilla but loved the sound of the sandalwood and jasmine ones so got some of those, the clean linen one smells like Yankee's clean cotton to me, but suppose that is not surprising given it's name :mysmilie_59:, all in all am very pleased with my purchase and am getting more scent from this than some of the newer Yankee scents in the large jars I have bought and been so disappointed with lately

I used the melt on saturday the OH came home and asked if i was baking a cake , he was rather disappointed when he realised it was a sandalwood and jasmine melt lol

Latest posts

Back