16:9 aspect ratio

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I've tried every whichway, spent way too much time fiddling with tv. it is on hire so it is going back! on 16:9 it cuts the tops of heads off and they are all egg shaped, on auto it squeezes the screen on some channels. the sound is distorted too. I do not really want a widescreen TV but from what you all say, it looks like that is what I need. Any advice gratefully accepted.

Thanks everyone.

ruthmay you have my sympathies - that sort of thing drives me barmy.

i got my first widescreen a year ago. it's lg, lcd 42" i think, from comet. what i did was search the comet website cos not only do they have tons of reviews but they also have a very informative section that explains what all the various tv features are as well as all the different types -lcd/led/plasma. you can pick out several you fancy and put them together to compare. then i went to comet to look at them 'in the flesh'. they had the best price so i got it from them too.

Hi Ruth, I didn't realise you had an older tv... I suspect your tv is trying to make sense of all these programmes broadcast in widescreen & it can't cope, so you get heads chopped off etc... Once you get a widescreen tv, you should be fine... Amazon is always good for reading reviews on tvs... Hope you choose a nice one :hi:

Hi Ruth, I didn't realise you had an older tv... I suspect your tv is trying to make sense of all these programmes broadcast in widescreen & it can't cope, so you get heads chopped off etc... Once you get a widescreen tv, you should be fine... Amazon is always good for reading reviews on tvs... Hope you choose a nice one :hi:

thanks Daisy, I did change my tv to a more modern one but it is c**** and am going to get it changed tomorrow. do not particularly want wide screen but may have to settle for one. going to look at Amazon.

I just changed mine through my sky remote. Pressed services. Is ok but I think the old ratio was clearer for me.

thanks Daisy, I did change my tv to a more modern one but it is c**** and am going to get it changed tomorrow. do not particularly want wide screen but may have to settle for one. going to look at Amazon.

I doubt if you can even buy a non-widescreen these days.

I have a perfectly good 4:3 CRT TV in a bedroom, but I will have to throw it out as it won't take a freeview box (no SCART connection for one) and we no longer have an analogue signal.

I doubt if you can even buy a non-widescreen these days.

I have a perfectly good 4:3 CRT TV in a bedroom, but I will have to throw it out as it won't take a freeview box (no SCART connection for one) and we no longer have an analogue signal.

SB

If you connect an old VCR to the TV using analogue leads you can then attach a freeview box to the VCR using the scart socket and that allows you to view digital TV, I successfully did this with the one in my bedroom!

I did try doing that and it worked, but I just can't be arsed changing it back and forth all the time I'm afraid, oh well, no more viewing for me then!!!!

I don't understand why they don't make two minor adjustments which would help viewers with 4:3 TVs or 16:9 with overscan on and can't be turned off.

1. Right justify the item code on the top left. At the moment it is left justified.
2. Include the item number on the bottom bar which at the moment has a big blank part at the centre of the screen
3. More of a thinking outside the box idea but swapping the box saying what part of the show it is eg Gardening with the number box which would put it inside the 4:3 safe zone.

By doing 1 and 2 or 3 it would be hardly any work to do, it would keep the new 16:9 look going and please other customers. Everyone wins!

PJ

I don't understand why they don't make two minor adjustments which would help viewers with 4:3 TVs or 16:9 with overscan on and can't be turned off.

1. Right justify the item code on the top left. At the moment it is left justified.
2. Include the item number on the bottom bar which at the moment has a big blank part at the centre of the screen
3. More of a thinking outside the box idea but swapping the box saying what part of the show it is eg Gardening with the number box which would put it inside the 4:3 safe zone.

By doing 1 and 2 or 3 it would be hardly any work to do, it would keep the new 16:9 look going and please other customers. Everyone wins!

PJ

Exactly PJ. it's ****** ridiculous all this faffing about!

I do think they should have made a trailer, in the style of the one Pippa did for the iPhone app, to clearly demonstrate how the picture would look on a selection of TVs. An afternoon to shoot and edit. Simple.

The other thing that ticked me off was the complete LIES told by certain presenters (won't name them). The channel did NOT 'go widescreen' that day - QVC's been broadcasting in 16:9 since 2004. Its just plain lies, no wonder some people were confused! I think the situation was dealt with a little too casually. If the presenters were confused themselves, I don't see how they could correctly inform viewers.

I agree. I remember them going widescreen, and it made no difference to any of my TV's because the price box was placed so that it was visible on all shapes of TV's.

All they have actually done now is to shift the price box over to the left, so that those with 4:3 screens will only be able to read part of it.

I still don't understand why just doing this would affect anyone with a widescreen TV, it made no difference to mine whatsover, except the price box is shifted more over to the left.

Latest posts

Back