£34 teacher's gift - really?!

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

How would anyone know the likes and dislikes of a teacher, bin man etc? Buying a gift is hit or miss and unless you are lucky in choosing the "right" item it's a waste of money that ends up at the charity shop.

As mentioned earlier I give the postman and window cleaner cash in a card £20 because both are excellent and worth every penny to me.

I don't think teachers expect a gift and would welcome a thoughtful card. I was at school in the 1960's & 70's and the only time Mum bought a present was for my last teacher in primary school when I left. An excellent teacher and to this day I remember many of her classes.

Much as I hate to miss an opportunity to slate the Q, it's the over-competitive parents who are to blame for this silly fad. It's just a natural extension of coming to the school gate in Prada heels and full slap. Some of these parents also think that buying a L'occitane gift set will rather ingratiate them with Miss, and their precious Little Johnnie will get a leg up with his expected 23 A* grades.

They forget that Miss just regifts the presents and has a cheap Christmas.

It'll be Easter eggs on sale soon.

Its the bleeding "bridesmaid gifts" that get on my nerves.

PS I was at school in the early 50's and for some unknown reason my mum DID buy small gifts (talc, soap etc) for teachers and brownie leaders etc so it is not entirely the modern age.

Also selection boxes are in my local shop already.

Its the bleeding "bridesmaid gifts" that get on my nerves.

PS I was at school in the early 50's and for some unknown reason my mum DID buy small gifts (talc, soap etc) for teachers and brownie leaders etc so it is not entirely the modern age.

Also selection boxes are in my local shop already.

Isn't the 'gift' to the bridesmaid the honour of the job?

Plus 'baby showers'. What in earth is all that about, apart from some useful device for the pregnant woman, who can go: 'right, give me and my unborn child loads of presents in return for some Lambrini and Hula Hoops, and if you don't you're basically disrespecting us both'. There really isn't any area of life or person who can't be 'monetised'. 'Baby Shower' also conjures up the unfortunate image of a load of babies falling from the sky.

Last edited:
When I lived abroad I remember baby showers but they were fun. Funny jokes/saying/newspaper headlines.were cut up and pasted on to a big potty. SMALL funny gifts were put in a sack which the mum to be opened.
There was cake and nice nibbles. Very innocent and uncompetitive, but this was pre yummie mummies, when friends were just pleased at the news.

I don't know how I'm finding time to type this as I really must phone my nephew immediately to let him know. He's a single dad with 3 children (8, 6 and 5) and I expect he is desperate for teacher "gifting" ideas. At the end of last term, his 3 took their teachers a small box of chocolates and a card. All their teachers made a point of seeing him and telling him how touched they were.

Ive often wondered when a Dad buys a VERY expensive pressie on behalf of kids for Mother's Day. Now no one wouldn't like a piece of jewellery/handbag/kitchen aid BUT I think mum would much rather have a cheap trinket bought from pocket money and chosen by kids themselves.
Or perhaps the YM just grab the goodies.
Of course there is nothing to stop Dad buying the other gift at another time so as not to outshine the little ones.

Vienna the "got mine... well done" mindset baffles me too and I feel sorry for them.

Baby shower? Too American. I didnt have one. Anyone who cared about me and my family sent gifts after my children were born.

School gate mum's? Don't get me started! My son goes to after school club.

Mother's day? The home made gifts from my children and flowers picked from "somewhere" mean more to me than anything else ever could. I look forward to the day when they proudly produce burnt toast on Sunday morning coupled with sloppy kisses and a big hug in the morning.

Good for him for not falling for the hysteria about giving his kids teachers' stupidly expensive gifts (from the bulging present drawer, of course).

I don't know how I'm finding time to type this as I really must phone my nephew immediately to let him know. He's a single dad with 3 children (8, 6 and 5) and I expect he is desperate for teacher "gifting" ideas. At the end of last term, his 3 took their teachers a small box of chocolates and a card. All their teachers made a point of seeing him and telling him how touched they were.

It appears we have a number of teachers as Posters, so could they not have a word in their Head's ear to perhaps send out a letter requesting an end to this gifting ritual. If the school had a different pet charity each year then the donation box is an excellent idea - at least it would put an end to the 'competitive' edge that seems to be prevalent with Mums.

I'm not sure that it is the Mums who are competitive.

I think it is the QVC presenters and their selling totals. They must get bonuses for flogging teachers presents under false pretences, or something? Can't think of any other reason to spout such drivel.

It's the presenters who are at fault for trying to bump up their sales targets AND whoever is telling them to say buy one for yourself, one for your child's teacher. But then we all know there are no depths they won't plummet to get a sale.

I let the children I look after make 'Thank You' cards for their teacher and our lovely Lollipop Lady along with a nice bunch of flowers which is always gratefully received.

This whole tipping thing is a nonsense and what do i do i tip my barber, we should only do it i guess when we think someone has gone out of their way for us.

I'm a teacher and, although I do receive things from the pupils (which are usually small or homemade,) the best gift is to see children smiling when they come into the classroom because they want to be there. And the ultimate gift is the joy of seeing them make progress. The cost for that? Nothing.

Lovely post.

I don't see anything at all wrong with getting a little present for a teacher you particularly like and who helps you/your child a lot, but Q are utterly deluded about what anyone would spend on such a thing. When I was in primary school in the 90s if you really liked a teacher you might spend a fiver on a mini Body Shop gift basket or something, I've never seen or heard of anything bigger being given. Well, except for at Oxford uni but that's a whole other kettle of fish.
My dad gets boxes of chocolates off students all the time, the likes of Celebrations or Heroes or whatnot, so also about a fiver. I think that's about right for a teacher present really, something small and fairly universal; there aren't many people who don't like or can't eat chocolate or at least someone in their house will. He does get stuff like bottles of whisky at christmas and the end of the academic year though, obviously those cost a lot more. His students always seem very grateful and enthusiastic, I certainly don't think they feel obliged. He doesn't especially want presents, he just wants the kids to do well and be happy. My (midwife) mother also gets boxes of chocolate and bottles of wine from patients all the time. Neither of my parents really drink and neither do I or my partner so we're all always drowning in bottles of it, ha. But both parents are very touched at being appreciated.
If kids/parents want to give presents to a favourite/well liked teacher so be it, but there certainly shouldn't be any culture of obligation to do so or anything like that. I don't really think there is, it's probably just flannel from the likes of Q.
Also obviously presents shouldn't curry favour with teachers or get kids out of trouble, and I really doubt they do.

There's a guy who cuts the grass, rakes leaves, trims hedges and so on outside my mum's house (as in the whole street, not just for her) and does lots of little odd jobs and things. He charges very little, is incredibly helpful and very nice and friendly, so she always gives him 50 quid in a card at christmas. Obviously that's a lot of money but he takes an absolute pittance the rest of the time and she really appreciates him. He's wonderful really, sometimes we've been struggling with things like a broken gutter on her house and he's stopped work to come and help us. Bless his heart.

Isn't the 'gift' to the bridesmaid the honour of the job?

Plus 'baby showers'. What in earth is all that about, apart from some useful device for the pregnant woman, who can go: 'right, give me and my unborn child loads of presents in return for some Lambrini and Hula Hoops, and if you don't you're basically disrespecting us both'. There really isn't any area of life or person who can't be 'monetised'. 'Baby Shower' also conjures up the unfortunate image of a load of babies falling from the sky.

But don't people get trillions of baby presents anyway, whether they have a shower or not? Also to be fair a baby shower is a bit more than Lambrini and crisps, it's a lot of work. Not that that means people should be rewarded with more presents or anything, just saying. I hosted a couple for friends and the food, decor, organising games and whatnot took an awful lot of time and effort. I mean of course different people will do it differently and there will be ones with less stuff, but generally it seems people do make a huge amount of fuss over it.

Blimey ! baby showers - I live in a different world I think. I remember my husband used to moan like hell that there was a constant stream of 'contributions' where he worked; and generally it was ladies leaving due to pregnancies. He maintained the amount he coughed up over the years he could have put the kid through private school !! Glad I'm retired as its an expensive business going to work !

What do you do when a colleague is on 3rd baby in as many years (gives in maternity notice first day back after last one)

This has happened with 2 different ladies over the years.

Taking the P big time I think. Mind you, after working in the NHS nothing surprises me. I know of several cases where community nurses would take the maximum time allowed off sick, then come back for a week before the time ran out, only to go off again 'sick'.

Things have changed big time. When I had my first baby 40 years ago I wasn`t allowed to finish work until 36 weeks pregnant and I was given just 6 weeks maternity leave after the baby was born. Consequently many women didn`t return to work and ended up becoming a stay at home Mum until either part time work could be found or until their child began school. Nurseries were thin on the ground back then and Grannies or other relatives did most of the childcare if Mum returned to work.

Latest posts

Back