Yankee candles

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I didn't read something interesting on the Yankee USA website , apparently if you buy a YC and start using it and didn't like the fragrance they allow you to either send it back or swap it in store free of charge, Pity that didn't happen in the Uk :(

They seem to be much better at that than here. I've heard that you can even do it with cosmetics, not just if it's faulty or you've had a bad reaction, but if you were disappointed with it.
Seems like the customer is more to be wooed over there.

I'm a bit wary of Yankee tea lights at the moment. I burned some and the plastic cases went all funny, they had started to melt and I hadn't noticed until they had gone out and I went to take the empty case out.

I have been using ikea ones quite happily, the one I have on now has been burning a couple of hours. The smell is non existent but I am burning it for the light and pattern on the holder rather then the smell.

Hey Breeze
Hope you get well soon! My opinion is virtually identical to Vienna on this.

I personally like a strong scent throw with NO soot/wick pollution, coupled with the fact that I won't be lumbered with one scent for days (Jars)

As a novice requiring experimentation I would say stick with ebay, Buy a £5 or thereabouts pottery wax burner, and then a few tarts of your choice, break up tarts, or mix & match and see how you take to them. As a cheaper alternative, the tarts are 22g, whereas the samplers are 49g, and only 60p or so more, but for twice the amount, so I buy samplers, and strip them down (remove wick, and chop up and pop into a jiffy bag like this) -

http://youtu.be/fQojgDYQ0rk

and then pull out chunks when you want to burn them

Last edited:
I am not a great lover of the large jars recently. sometimes the wicks are too thin and don't burn the wax evenly. this is a very expensive problem I am having a lot recently. I buy tarts from e-bay and other retailers when I see them for a pound or less. I have some beautiful yankee tart burners In various designs and I think these can be bought quite cheaply from e-bay. one I have had for 8/9 years so worth the money. I buy my t-lights from homebase but love the ikea ones that burn for around 4 hours and are cheap as chips. some jars don't have a great throw and others do. some smell of barely anything and anather expensive mistake.

all in all I love my yankee candles and tarts but I more stick to tarts as they are a great way to have fragrance for a small outlay. if you buy a large jar and it burns badly or smells faint you are a little stuffed

I havea combination of large jars, votives and tarts in the electric tart burner.

I try the fragrances with a votive or a tart before investing in a large jar.

I love the votives, especially mixing them in the mixology sets. (though I hate the word "mixology"!)

Tarts are great for when you don't have 3 hours to let the wax touch the sides or if children are about in which case no candles. Using an electric burner of course.

I find the Illuma lids and a wick trimmer invaluable for ensuring a clean burn, all the way to the bottom of the jar. Shades are almost as good for this.

sometimes the shades stop the scent from throwing well. even though I love my shades on the jars

Am I the only person in the world who thinks there's far too much Yankee Candles on QVC?
Speaking softly for fear of being picked on.

Am I the only person in the world who thinks there's far too much Yankee Candles on QVC?

Lol Thatu speak up. I like Yankee but even I think there`s too much of it on Q but there again there`s too much of other brands too. The number of brands they sell seems to have dramatically shrunk so they keep wheeling out the ones they`ve got. Boring I agree !

I love Yankee Candles and think these are the best (tried tons of different over the years)

It is really hard to say to someone who you do not know what the best type is to get as it all depends on where they are placing it and also how large a room is and also how long they want the candle on for.

I personally prefer the Large Jars and I use a shade so you do not get any soot marks on walls etc... but this is because I use them in larger rooms. I have tried the tarts/melts which are a cheaper way of trying out various fragrances, however, I found that they spluttered onto tables, walls and table lights etc so gave up using them. I also like the large double wick tumblers as this is a quicker way to get the fragrance into the room plus I love seeing the double wicks burning and prefer the contemporary look of them. I use the votives/samplers in bedroom or bathroom and I also use the T Lights in my downstairs w.c.

I usually buy mine from Yankee Doodle

I have tried the tarts/melts which are a cheaper way of trying out various fragrances, however, I found that they spluttered onto tables, walls and table lights etc so gave up using them.

That became a major bugbear of mine after honey and spice (a browny orange colour) splattered all over my white walls. Then I discovered an electric tart warmer! I'd really recommend one to you as there's no "splutter" as the whole circumference is melted evenly :hi:

Not as far as I am concerned but if you do not like them then I guess it must be a bit of a pain!!! Speaking equally softly so you know I am not being nasty, lol.

That became a major bugbear of mine after honey and spice (a browny orange colour) splattered all over my white walls. Then I discovered an electric tart warmer! I'd really recommend one to you as there's no "splutter" as the whole circumference is melted evenly :hi:

I totally agree. Since I bought my electric warmer there has been no splutter at all. I think it must keep the melted wax at just the right temperature unlike the basic burners with the tea lights inside which probably get too hot.

Latest posts

Back