Yankee Candles TSV 21/3/14

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Hi candle experts, question if I may. As some of you know I purchased the electric tart warmer that Autumn found and I am totally in love with it!! A while ago one of you posted a YouTube link where people where stripping down votives and then burning them in warmers. Has anyone here actually done it? And it is any good? I thought votive throw wasn't too good.
Look forward to hearing your thoughts.
Ange

Hi candle experts, question if I may. As some of you know I purchased the electric tart warmer that Autumn found and I am totally in love with it!! A while ago one of you posted a YouTube link where people where stripping down votives and then burning them in warmers. Has anyone here actually done it? And it is any good? I thought votive throw wasn't too good.
Ange

Im glad you still like the tart burner, I have done it several times , and I would say the throw isn't as strong as a normal wax tart but you do get a decent amount fragrance , similar to when you use the last inch or so of wax out of jar candle. Just make sure you don't put too much in the burner so it over spills when its melted.

Ange

What I do is this- use a votive as normal and (unless you have the more compact holders with straight sides) you usually end up with a blob of wax left at the bottom with the metal disc left in the middle where the wick has burned all the way down. I scoop out the disc with a gentle nudge with nail scissors and then scoop out the leftover wax and store in a sandwich or freezer bag and keep it in the drawer with my tarts. They can be used in the warmer, just as well as tarts but although the thow is not as strong as a tart, the scent is constant and does not get weaker as the wax ever so slowly evaporates. With a candle the wax burns off quicker but in the tart warmer, especially an electric one- the temperature of the wax is not as hot meaning the wax seems to go on forever. For me this makes votives fantastic value for money as I get the best of both worlds. At the moment I have the leftover wax from salted caramel and a sandalwood vanilla votives mixed together and I have been enjoying the smell for several days now.

Looks very pretty but not for me I have plenty of most of those fragrances. I was really hoping it might be the Easter fragrances in samplers, especially as we can't get them as samplers in the shops! They could at least have included some rare ones.

well i think its a lot nicer & more pratical than those like book ones to hold them & it looks a very sturdy box too

Yes, I agree. The books one look a bit more male orientated to me. It's funny how packaging can make or break a sell in so many cases.

I much prefer the melts (used to be called tarts?), but aagh, my cats have knocked off and smashed the dish on my electric tart burner. Does anyone have an idea what I could use instead? It seems such a terrible waste to bin the electric base just because of this and I'm hoping someone has a good suggestion.

I much prefer the melts (used to be called tarts?), but aagh, my cats have knocked off and smashed the dish on my electric tart burner. Does anyone have an idea what I could use instead? It seems such a terrible waste to bin the electric base just because of this and I'm hoping someone has a good suggestion.

How about a shallow ashtray? As there designed for heat.

Was it one of those glass dishes (I got one of those in the electric warmer I bought from Rhys Candles online) because I have seen them sold separately on a Yankee website. I forget which but it might be worth checking the bigger names. Mine was the same size as the glass dishes you get in the cradle style tea light melt warmers. An ashtray could be a good idea though as that wise poster Autumn has suggested!

How about a pottery ramekin ? My burner is white porcelain and heavens forbid I should break the dish then a white porcelain ramekin would match and they`re made to take direct heat from an oven. Some ramekins are quite deep but I`ve seen shallower ones such as these which would match the white porcelain burner perfectly. Only problem is amazon sell them in packs of 4 but I daresay you`d find an individual one on another site and I`ve just measured my burner dish and this ramekin is the exact same size. Places such as asda might sell similar too.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00FGR55ES/?tag=shoppingcom03-21

That is a very good idea too. I doubt the plate on an electric warmer would be as hot as a ramekin would endure in an oven.

That is a very good idea too. I doubt the plate on an electric warmer would be as hot as a ramekin would endure in an oven.

How about buying a normal tart burner with a removable dish and use that on your electric one ? If it doesn't work, you still have tart burner you can use or give away, depending on the size and style of your electric burner there are loads on amazon and ebay ...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B003LHA3KG/?tag=shoppingcom03-21

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B001CWWWOC/?tag=shoppingcom03-21

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Stylish-O...135?pt=UK_Home_Fragrances&hash=item2eb8412e9f

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Yankee-ca...416?pt=UK_Home_Fragrances&hash=item27dedfad68

Well researched again, Autumn. The second Amazon one is a fiver so probably the same cost as a YC glass dish. I have two of those cradle YC warmers which I do not like much as one caught fire and I had a bit of a crisis having to deal with flames leaping all round the wax and me scooping it all into a wet tea towel and bowl before managing to dump it all in the sink and then binning everything except the glass which was somehow salvageable!!! That made for a lively Saturday night. I was going to get rid of them to a charity shop but am now keeping them in order to have some spare glass dishes.

Mine has started leaking.......think it must have a hairline crack in it!!

:mysmilie_10:

I have just been putting a silicone muffin case directly on the heated part, that works a treat......just doesn't look as pretty.

:mysmilie_17:

Well researched again, Autumn. The second Amazon one is a fiver so probably the same cost as a YC glass dish. I have two of those cradle YC warmers which I do not like much as one caught fire and I had a bit of a crisis having to deal with flames leaping all round the wax and me scooping it all into a wet tea towel and bowl before managing to dump it all in the sink and then binning everything except the glass which was somehow salvageable!!! That made for a lively Saturday night. I was going to get rid of them to a charity shop but am now keeping them in order to have some spare glass dishes.

Have you ever thought about being a T caller with that story lol :wink:

Never!!! They would say it was my fault for not using a YC tea light with its controlled flame (yeah right). I only tried to call once to say how a Di Cesare hair product had helped my hair grow back after I lost a lot through chemo and they refused to put me through as it was a medical point, so I thought well stuff your studio calls then!!!!

Latest posts

Back