Would you still buy cosmetics from QVC if you couldn't return them?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

apple

Registered Shopper
It's always been said that the p and p is too high at QVC but as we know that's got a lot to do with the 30 day MBG. If QVC switched to a non-returnable policy on cosmetics but offered free p and p would you still buy and do you think you'd have tried new cosmetics brands in the past if they hadn't been returnable?.

As I've just waffled on the other thread about postage it is the end supplier who gets to cover the cost of returns so there is no reason to believe that free p&p would mean no mbg on anything.

I think their mbg is brilliant. I don't know anywhere else that will allow you to return used items that aren't faulty for a full price refund.

That's a really good question. The only make-up I have sent back is a mixable foundation from Mod.Pref. because the dial to colour mix had poor instructions and the replacement had a card insert of new instructions as I think a lot of people had the same trouble as me. I still returned this replacement as I didn't like the texture. I have Shavata eyebrow pencils which are awful and gloopy which I should have returned. Ho hum. I am reticent in trying new brands as I have very sensitive skin and like some of the make-up effects on the models close up but from a distance they can look horrendous. I prefer to try make-up in store and run to the window or door with a hand full of diff. colours to see if they are as orange in the daylight. :sweat:

I think the mbg is pretty essential given the nature of the qvc shopping experience itself: telly selling and all the enticement of that - the temptation to make an impulse buy is not to be underestimated, particularly when you first start shopping with qvc, therefore the mbg seems a moral imperative! The mbg is also important, given the obvious fact that you are not actually seeing the products 'in the flesh' until you get them home. In my own experience, I only tend to order cosmetics/beauty products I know I 100% want, so I've never needed the mbg for them - if I've been tempted but am unsure of a product, I check it out in a 'real' shop first; but it's ok for me to do this because i live in a large city with easy access to shops - that's not the case for some people. (I'm more likely to rely on the mbg for jewellery, funnily enough, because the selection of jewellery you find on qvc is great and most, if not all of it, is not in the shops; I find you really just don't know what something will look like until you try it on, and the mbg can definitely tip the balance on weather I purchase or not.)

yes i would. the TSV's can be great value for money, even if you only use about half of the stuff in them regularly. plus i cant get my fav. brand, Laura geller, everywhere and i can also try out some new stuff and brands.
so far i havent sent any make up back but there have been loads of things i have bought on the high street that i would have loved to have returned so i really like the fact that i can send them back if i deem it worth my while

In the US it is normal for people to be able to return cosmetics to department stores etc without a thought. Yes bought it, don't like it on they can return and get refund no problem. We in the UK and I believe Europe as well cannot do this. The cosmetics companies only seem to accept returns if unopened or allergic reaction. You cannot returns clothes if the tags are not still on them in stores.

As QVC is an american company I think this is why it started. The shopping channels followed suit, some short time period to return. I doubt to be honest especially with cosmetics the companies who supply the products to QVC would continued to do so if they dropped the 30 MPG, as I think also the companies are covered somewhere in the p&p price thing as well. A safety net for them so to speak. I think the famous letter about too many returns is in there somewhere as you are costing QVC money by returning too much(by their magic and unknown system of what actually is too much). Say a Smashbox TSV sells 30,000 units but 10,000 people don't like it and return. Will Smashbox want to supply so many units to QVC or even decided no we don't want to sell with you anymore its too expensive for us. I believe people will all be more wary of even buying without being able to try and return especially cosmetics. I doubt QVC would even get near selling the units they do if people could not return.

I think now carefully about buying cosmetics from QVC, have done for quite a while now, nothing to do with p&p. Perhaps I am jaded or more select in the brands I like or even what I will actually use from the kits etc. Single items no way do I buy, not just p&p for one item but more online stores give loads of samples and you get 10%-20% plus offers.

Also another thing to take into account with QVC is the easy pay. Now come on how many of us whine when no easy pay, or I would have gone for that if it had been on easy pay?

Last edited:
TBH,yes I would - as I only tend to buy Laura geller - and I don't think I've ever sent any of it back.

I don't tend to "try" much anymore at QVC these days - I buy the things I really,really want and use - so I'm not bothered about the MBG.

I did buy a kipling TSV recently and when I got it home,I really didn't like the colour.I sent it back,unopened and unused - just as I would if I had bought it from a catalogue or shop.So even then - I wouldn't even say that I "exercised" my 30 day MBG.

No I wouldn't. I have ultra sensitive, allergy prone skin and 8 times out of 10 I react to skincare and cosmetics. So QVC have been very useful allowing me to try and test. Not all reactions are immediate and some products start off ok but begin to affect the skin after a week or so of use. Consequently I have tried out loads of products and sent a lot back thanks to the 30 day MBG. I really appreciate their policy and for one don't mind the p&p charges which seem to make others hopping mad.

I decided to try Bare Escentuals for the first time a few months ago & ordered a Try Me item which included the foundation which I particularly wanted to try out. I would not have ordered it if it hadn't been for the 30 day MBG because I was doubtful about the whole concept of mineral make-up. Thought it was going to be an Emperor's New Clothes type of thing.:mysmilie_488:

I was wrong about that & I now love BE & have ordered quite a bit of their make-up since, so Yes, for me the MBG is important.

I sent back a Models Prefer lippie once. It was just vile, so dry I could not get it on so wonder if it was a dodgy one. I was glad of the MBG on that occasion.

Yes I would still buy - I've been lucky that the new brands I have tried from QVC (Smashbox, BE, Laura Geller) have all worked for me. I would have tried them even without the MBG - I've tried plenty of cosmetics from department stores, Boots etc knowing I couldn't return them and it never put me off :sun:

But the thing about buying from the TV is you cannot be sure of colours. Take Laura Geller Baked stuff, the foundations are all different if you get one too dark or too light because of the way they are made.
Even other brands of foundation and powders, expensive mistakes if the colour turns out to be wrong for you.

Perfume as well, how can you tell if suits your chemistry? Do you want to spend £30+ on something you really hate because you could not try it first?

My feelings...

No I would not try cosmetics without return option.. even though to 'try' it actually costs the buyer at least £5 (combining postage to, and postage back)

Also QVC should ...

STOP the identical rule with 2nd p&p (who the hell would buy same shoes/top/jeans/skirt/headphones/etc.. in same config size or colour anyway)
secondly... Cap the P&P to a max of £6 even if orders exceed 10 items
Thirdly .. OR scrap ALL P&P cosmetics or otherwise, reducing the 30 day MBG to 15

But the thing about buying from the TV is you cannot be sure of colours. Take Laura Geller Baked stuff, the foundations are all different if you get one too dark or too light because of the way they are made.
Even other brands of foundation and powders, expensive mistakes if the colour turns out to be wrong for you.

Perfume as well, how can you tell if suits your chemistry? Do you want to spend £30+ on something you really hate because you could not try it first?

I definitely agree about the foundation, I really want to try Bare Minerals foundation but although they give an example of what shade to go for by quoting celebs/presenters, I'm still not sure. The pic they showed of one shade last time said 'for those with a rosy undertone' yet the presenter said that she was wearing that shade and had a yellow undertone to her skin! I have Rosacea so I've got a bit of a rosy undertone but definitely not a yellow undertone, so I left it.

I use Bare Minerals make up and at first I was really confused. But I went to Debenhams and got a skin test first. Then ordered it off QVC!

I definitely agree about the foundation, I really want to try Bare Minerals foundation but although they give an example of what shade to go for by quoting celebs/presenters, I'm still not sure. The pic they showed of one shade last time said 'for those with a rosy undertone' yet the presenter said that she was wearing that shade and had a yellow undertone to her skin! I have Rosacea so I've got a bit of a rosy undertone but definitely not a yellow undertone, so I left it.

I've got a big rosy undertone but my skin's fairly light, medium's ideal for me. Recently I ordered some fairly medium off the internet just to try but have to say the medium's a better option for me. Def one for the pinky skins.

I've got a big rosy undertone but my skin's fairly light, medium's ideal for me. Recently I ordered some fairly medium off the internet just to try but have to say the medium's a better option for me. Def one for the pinky skins.

Agree the Medium is best suited to skin with pink undertones and the Medium Beige for more golden/yellow undertones. For that very reason it used to annoy the hell out of me that the kits they always put together contained one of each - meaning that one pot was useless. A far better combination would have been lighter and deeper shades suitable for the same skin undertone.

I know 'they' always say if you're unsure what shade to chose go for Medium Beige, but I think it is quite a deep shade and many peeps would be better suited to Light as it looks more natural. You can always add colour with bronzer, blush etc.

Agree the Medium is best suited to skin with pink undertones and the Medium Beige for more golden/yellow undertones. For that very reason it used to annoy the hell out of me that the kits they always put together contained one of each - meaning that one pot was useless. A far better combination would have been lighter and deeper shades suitable for the same skin undertone.

I know 'they' always say if you're unsure what shade to chose go for Medium Beige, but I think it is quite a deep shade and many peeps would be better suited to Light as it looks more natural. You can always add colour with bronzer, blush etc.

I am very pale skinned with pink undertones & the Fair is perfect for me.
My youngest is also very fair skinned but a tad darker than me & she finds the Fair is perfect in winter but when she has a bit of colour in summer she mixes it with Medium for the perfect colour match.
Both of these shades are the most suitable for skin with pinkish undertones.

It's always been said that the p and p is too high at QVC but as we know that's got a lot to do with the 30 day MBG. If QVC switched to a non-returnable policy on cosmetics but offered free p and p would you still buy and do you think you'd have tried new cosmetics brands in the past if they hadn't been returnable?.

in a word NO i wouldnt.......spending hard earned on someones say so that this new type of cream will make you look 10 year younger etc blah blah.thank goodness for the 30 day MBG

juts as a an add on.i was on ebay the other day & someone wrote that the people offering free p/p was actually charging more money.......after getting brain cell to process the info i had to agree,,,,,IF you buy several or just 2 or 3 items from same seller then you are not getting a p/p reduction.....whereas someone charging a discount was actually giving a better deal..........made me think anyway BUT i d think their P/P are a bit steep to say the least

Latest posts

Back