Would you advertise that you were 2nd best?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

loveallthingsitalian

Registered Shopper
I know the presenters are always gobbing on about coming second but I see they now have being 2nd on their on-screen graphics.

Pardon me but personally I would not shout about being the bridesmaid and never the bride - rather I would pull my bleeding socks up by finding out why I wasn't first and do something about it.

Q - take your head out of your A**h**e.

Avis Car Hire made a fortune with the slogan, "We're number 2 so we try harder." Maybe QVC are going to drop their postal charges, make their clothes in consistent sizes, stop sending our The Letter, drop their prices, send out stuff by return, give us a fairer review system, after all.

Hang about - they didn't say "so we try harder" though, did they? Hmmm...

Last edited:
Well I worked for the 2nd and 3rd largest banks in the world, and both were proud of the fact. OK slightly different, but if Q had been No. 1 would anyone have believed it? There is nothing wrong in being 2nd in my opinion.

If you are dedicated to your project in life whatever it is being second should not be an option.

I would love to know what dodgy company organised this comparison of retailers for qvc to come second. if its based on how polite qvc customer services are when they take your money qvc would come first. but on everything else they would have failed

Its an incredible achievement for a company to make any sort of popularity list, when nobody actually admits to buying from them !!!!!

Until recently, dating sites were the same, - would only confess to meeting someone at a pub, dinner party or through mates, rather than suffer the surprised stares of going 'on-line' !!!

If you consider that there are hundreds, if not thousands, of well-known retailers across the country, I'd say being 2nd is pretty darned good. I don't blame them for shouting about it!

It depends how many retailers were included in the survey, these things are rarely open-ended questions like "Which is the best for customer service?" There's usually a short-list, along the lines of the QVC Beauty awards the short-list could be weighted to favour certain retailers by excluding some of the major competitors. I wonder if QVC'd post a link to the website that shows the positions of other major players like Amazon, M&S etc?

Then, who was asked? How were they selected to take part in the survey?

Once the short-list is drawn up the phrasing of the questions can also slant the responses: as we've seen on here, people have differing opinions of what constitutes "good service": pleasant telephone manner, lack of quibbling? or slow expensive delivery, ball-achingly slow refund process and the "Letter"?

I'm sure the silver olympic medalists were proud of their achievement in coming second.

I'm sure the silver olympic medalists were proud of their achievement in coming second.

Well you would never have guessed it from some (just some) of the interviews, even worse if it was bronze, they were really downcast! I think ANY medal is a fab achievement. I would be pleased to be second only to the iconic JLP but they do rather go on about it, IMHO.

Latest posts

Back